Wrestlemania betting available with Paddy Power *SPOILERS*

The Chiefdog

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I cant honestly see how this can be for real. Surely spoilers are going to be kicking about soon?

WrestleMania isn't pre-taped.

It's like betting on an outcome of eastenders.

I'm pretty sure that a decent selection of people backstage/performers know if takers going to win.

That's why he's massively odds on. For every pound the bookies pay out on Taker winning, they'll take ten times that on Triple H from mug punters.

• Paid Members
I cant honestly see how this can be for real. Surely spoilers are going to be kicking about soon?

Scripted, as well as people having the ability to talk. It's like betting on an outcome of eastenders.

I'm pretty sure that a decent selection of people backstage/performers know if takers going to win.

Haven't we already been through this last night?

If a bookmaker suspected anything untoward going on or believed there was cast iron information out there about the probable result, they would pull the betting. These people are not stupid - they would not publish these bets unless they were 100% sure they are only getting legitimate bets. They spot any irregular patterns, they pull the bet down and refund people.

• Paid Members

Scripted, as well as people having the ability to talk. It's like betting on an outcome of eastenders.

Haven't we already been through this last night?

If a bookmaker suspected anything untoward going on or believed there was cast iron information out there about the probable result, they would pull the betting. These people are not stupid - they would not publish these bets unless they were 100% sure they are only getting legitimate bets. They spot any irregular patterns, they pull the bet down and refund people.

Fair enough, but still, people within wwe, and potentially friends and family know the outcome, so in theory they could leek the info, that's my point, not that it's not pre-taped. I understand your point about bet patterns though, especially if paddy power give punters the chance to state bets, such as a papa shango run in, or Paul bearer to turn up 7.56 in to the match.

Out of curiosity, are paddy power offering the option of stating a bet (I.e- not a standard bet)?

Nobody knows who is going to win any of the matches because they haven't happened. Any current plans could change right up until the bell rings to end a match. WrestleMania hasn't been pre-taped.

• Paid Members

Any current plans could change right up until the bell rings to end a match. WrestleMania hasn't been pre-taped.

That is your best argument and in fairness a very valid point. Like I mentioned, it's got nowt to do with being pre-taped, it's purely a case of writers and the involved knowing the outcome, but like you say, it could obviously change/swerve.

it could obviously change/swerve.

As is often the case with things that haven't happened yet. This is why Paddypower are not currently taking bets on who's going to win WW2 or who killed Archie in Eastenders. They won't be taking bets on WrestleMania 28 this time next week, either.

• Paid Members
I wonder if anyone made a tidy profit on Cole last year, if I remember he was like 250-1 lol

I think the bookies wound up paying out on both Lawler and Cole because they hadn't thought about what would happen with reverse decisions. This year one is doing separate odds for first announced result and final announced result, while another is only paying on the listed winner on WWE.com the next day.

I don't remember there being any wrestling betting in 1999. The first I recall was "who'll be champ at the end of 2001" but you had to do it by the end of January. I don't think many people picked Jericho.

• Paid Members
it could obviously change/swerve.

As is often the case with things that haven't happened yet. This is why Paddypower are not currently taking bets on who's going to win WW2 or who killed Archie in Eastenders. They won't be taking bets on WrestleMania 28 this time next week, either.

Round in circles. I agree with you on the 'things can change point' which does argue your point well, but at the same time writers will still be in the know and things might not change based on what they may have written.

You know what I'm getting at and I know what your getting at.

I don't remember there being any wrestling betting in 1999. The first I recall was "who'll be champ at the end of 2001" but you had to do it by the end of January. I don't think many people picked Jericho.

Jericho wasn't even on the list. Even K-Kwik was! Perhaps you could have rang up and got Jericho but I'm not sure.

Either way I don't think William Hill did wrestling betting again

Wasn't there one for the 2001 Royal Rumble winner? I thought that went up at the same time as the who'll be champ one, but can't find any evidence of it based on a ten-second look at some Google results. Found this old Rajah thing though, which includes the odds on everyone: http://oratory.rajah.com/?id=1198 Jericho was 26-1.

I agree with you on the 'things can change point'

Shouldn't really have done the "WHAT ABOUT SPOILERZ????" post in the first place then, as though WrestleMania was taped before Raw on Monday night.

As is evident from the way spoiler tags often get used on here, a lot of people don't/can't distinguish between "spoilers" and "speculation." There is a difference between those two things, and it's a crucial one from a bookies' perspective.

On Paddypower at the moment, you can bet on who will be a judge on X Factor next year, which beloved Eastenders character will be the next to return, and who will play Holden Caulfield in the To Catch A Predator* film. Plenty of people will know the frontrunners for these things, but none of them are sure things. All are based on creative decisions and agreement between parties, just like wrestling results. But because none of them have happened yet, you don't need to write SPOILER ALERT on the betting slip.

*Well, it'd be more interesting.

Archived