Chris Brown *SPOILERS*

ColinBollocks

It's a time-honoured tradition of our great sport for promoters to treat any other celebrity as a bigger deal than wrestling. Nice to see Vince flying the flag. Are there BritWres shows still trying to draw punters by having someone from Big Brother stand in the ring and wave at half time?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Punk and his views here, and the majority of people think Brown is a cunt anyway. But it's basically just a playground spat that WWE and the media have jumped all over and made seem like a massive deal and Punk is doing a bit of showboating as a result. It'll probably be forgotten in a couple of weeks until it's no doubt featured at the Slammys in the WWE Twitter award or some shit.

Anyone who sends abuse in the direction of celebrated woman-beater Chris Brown is a winner in my book.

Would that apply to celebrated woman-beater Stone Cold Steve Austin too?

• Paid Members
Anyone who sends abuse in the direction of celebrated woman-beater Chris Brown is a winner in my book.

Would that apply to celebrated woman-beater Stone Cold Steve Austin too?

Only if and when he inducts rapist Mike Tyson to the hall of fame.

Well apart from anything else, Austin and Tyson would obviously knack CM Punk.

If you're going to pick a fight with a wife beater, better to pick on a little worm like Brown than somebody who's going to leave you looking like Rihanna after he danced all over her face. After that, if he fancies branching out, he should go after Gazza or George Best's corpse rather than risk mixing it with the Collymores and the Brambles. The key to longevity is picking your fights.

I always found Mike Tyson doing the 'Suck It' sign rather uncomfortable. His rape charge seems to have been brushed over.

But Mike has always STRONGLY denied the rape. He even goes as far to say he has done worse things (murder when he was very young in NY is a common belief) but he has never raped anybody. A lot of the American public also believe he was innocent and the victim of a fucked up rape caller. In a lot of ways, the opinion is basically the opposite of OJ Simpson.

I for one don't believe he raped her. I'm only going by interviews where he legit seems so genuine about it, articles about her back story and upbringing etc. Its one of those deals where you'll never know one way or another. But just because a Judge rules one way doesn't make something fact. Judges make stupid calls daily.

I don't care, I still found and find it uncomfortable. I don't know either way if he was guilty, but it was still insensitive. Then again, this is Vince.

Because when he did the DX crotch chop when he joined DX in a wrestling angle - it was a wink wink to a real life rape.

I think it's more a problem with the base credibility of professional wrestlers. They have a platform and they have large fanbases, but when they try and talk about anything serious it just comes across like the one advert about AIDS they used to have on "Tarrant On TV" before the commercial break, it's just a massive shift in tone that makes everyone uncomfortable and look a little stupider.

Like, Punk should be allowed to shoot his mouth of on this, it's pop culture, it's kinda like saying "John Cena shouldn't have mentioned the death of Osama Bin Laden unless they're building up to a PPV where he takes on Khalid Sheikh Mohammed." The thing is, though (and it was a decent promo, tbh, better than anything he's cut since the 'Hi Colt Cobana' one), that because wrestlers have a credibility gap with the general public they have to overcompensate to make up for it. So Punk can't just say "Beating up women is bad imho", he has to also threaten to beat up the perpetrator. In the same way that when wrestlers talk about their charity work in fighting deadly illnesses they have to promise to "put the smackdown on cancer" or "piledrive emphysma into the ground" or "give glioblastoma multiforme a short-arm clothesline" or whatever.

So yeah: this is good for Punk because it gets him mainstream coverage which is something that pretty much no wrestler can do nowadays without killing their child, but it isn't going to draw a penny for anyone ever. Still, trending on Twitter is like drawing money, right?

Quoting the above post because it's one of the view intelligent contributions to this thread.

Vince loves courting celebrities and dabbling in pop culture, I bet that when he woke up the other morning and learned that CM Punk's name was all over the media because of a Tweet he'd directed at Chris Brown he probably popped a boner so hard that he almost broke his hip. Like it or not CM Punk having a fantastic match with Daniel Bryan on Smackdown isn't going to attract the attention of the mainstream media, CM Punk has managed to attract more attention to himself (and the WWE) with his actions on Twitter than any wrestling match, short of Rocky/Cena, ever could. Punk was smart to insult Chris Brown because Brown's an imbecile who feels the need to personally respond to everyone who insults him, Brown has come across as an immature brat while CM Punk has been given a free taste of fame without having to take a single bump.

Archived