TNA Against All Odds Discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

That was a pretty tame dive really. Moonsaults from the top to the outside are commonplace these days, and that one was only from the 2nd rope. The guy doing it just fucked up by tucking his legs in when he should have kept them extended until he had been caught. I can remember John Morrison for example doing something similar during one of the MITB matches, but he (and the catchers) got lucky

Makes you appreciate just how hard a lot of luchadors are, as you routinely see stuff that looks much much worse than that yet it rarely results in injuries.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the reason the luchadores are safe doing it all the time is because they're doing it all the time. I know Sin Cara's a botchaphile and that leads to a lot of "heh, these midgets can't do anything" gags but when you compare a lucha dive to an indy dive you can see the difference. Don't forget that CMLL has a hell of a schedule so you're working a lot. Plus lucha rings are so hard you may as well be hurling yourself at concrete. The other thing is that you tend to pair the inexperianced people up with the good bases who know how to catch (if they're not being dicks at the time). Although botched dives happen still. Aero Star's lucky to be alive, if he still is actually because I don't think anyone's seen him for a while. Some how the lucha style seems to be one of the safest styles to work when you think of all the old maestros still going.

The problem I have with TNA is probably the problem a lot of people have with lucha libre. I remember going on a rant on here once about AJ Styles being german suplexed from the ring apron onto the arena floor and it being a spot that may as well not have happened because it wasn't sold as the big move it should have been. That wasn't a popular opinion at the time. In TNA nothing really seems to matter, and yet the guys are still taking big risks. I'm not sure I'd bother. Again, I knwo big dives happen all the time in lucha, but that's the style of it. I suppose you could make the same argument about TNA's style. Although I'm not really saying they need to take less risks. I mean, in terms of people's safety they probably should but as a product they shouldn't. They should keep the inexperianced in the ring with experianced people though.

TNA color commentator Taz was unable to work at the Against All Odds pay-per-view on Sunday. It was announced during the show that he was unable to appear due to a loss in the family. "I appreciate all of you expressing your condolences to me," Taz wrote on Twitter. "Very much appreciated."

"My wife's brother passed on Saturday night," Taz wrote. "Great man. I would've never had a career if it wasn't for him. Gave me the (money) to go to wrestling school when I had nothing. RIP Joe."

TNA wrestler Jesse Sorensen remained hospitalized in an intensive care unit overnight. He suffered a neck injury and his body went numb at ringside after taking a knee to the head when Zema Ion performed a moonsault off the top rope. The planned finish was scrapped and Sorensen was counted out that medical personnel could evaluate him. He was taken to a nearby hospital during the pay-per-view.

Credit: prowrestlingnet.com

• Paid Members

I dont think you can blame anyone, and neither man is getting the blame by the sounds of it. Its a freak accident, which has the potential to happen when you are doing high risk moves. In fact, Ion's getting praise, because he stayed in character the whole time and didn't do the "WHAT HAVE I DONE??!!!" facial expressions afterwards. Its like that Joey Mercury thing. Nobody blamed the Hardy Boyz. They knew the risk of what might happen as they were going through it in the back.

Onto the PPV, Tenay and Borash were really good on commentary. I dont know whether it was because Russo is no longer there or if they didnt prepare anything, but they didn't have any script on the table to tick off a million references like they usually do. Hopefully one thing that will improve with Russo being gone is the commentary team sounding less robotic.

I dont think you can blame anyone, and neither man is getting the blame by the sounds of it. Its a freak accident, which has the potential to happen when you are doing high risk moves. In fact, Ion's getting praise, because he stayed in character the whole time and didn't do the "WHAT HAVE I DONE??!!!" facial expressions afterwards. Its like that Joey Mercury thing. Nobody blamed the Hardy Boyz. They knew the risk of what might happen as they were going through it in the back.

An unwelcome reminder that things can go wrong.

---

Austin Aries/Alex Shelly was very good.

Onto the PPV, Tenay and Borash were really good on commentary. I dont know whether it was because Russo is no longer there or if they didnt prepare anything, but they didn't have any script on the table to tick off a million references like they usually do. Hopefully one thing that will improve with Russo being gone is the commentary team sounding less robotic.

Hopefully that should be the end of it, i agree with that. Its just an accident, a really freak one. Stuff I've seen posted online by some idiots would tell you different though. Didn't John Morrison once do a moonsault to the outside with a ladder or something? Seeing Jesse Sorensen lying on the ground motionless was fairly sickening though and as a wrestling fan you never wanna see that. But as competitors they know the risks especially as they both employ a high flying style. its never something you want to see happen, but it is Pro Wrestling and it can happen sometimes.

I'm watching through it now and I am really enjoying Borash on commentary.

In fact, Ion's getting praise, because he stayed in character the whole time and didn't do the "WHAT HAVE I DONE??!!!" facial expressions afterwards. Its like that Joey Mercury thing. Nobody blamed the Hardy Boyz. They knew the risk of what might happen as they were going through it in the back.

when I watched it, I was suprised how well he kept in character, there was a small amount of shock, but he played the cocky heel card nicely, in some ways that helps build his character. Loved the "Im sorry Jesse, but you just got beaten by me, yself and Zion" he did to the camera

Austin Aries/Alex Shelly was very good.

I actually was manage to catch a stream for that one match only, it was one good match. Wish Shelly didnt tap AS quickly but it was one hell of a good match.

It was nice change with JB instead of Taz.

Sucks to be Jesse but that Moonsault looked nasty. Watched it over and over again, Ion moves his knee to prepare for the landing and thats what caused the KO. But this is wrestling its a accident and shits gunna happen its only a matter of time.

Oh heres a question my mate asked and I cant find a reason WHY. Why isnt A Double in WWE, hes got all the talent to be there, I don't know if its AA not wanting to go to WWE or hes too small for the big leagues (but then look at Bryan Danielson). Anyone got a answer?

• Paid Members

Of course, if it turns out Sorensen will be ok long term, Ion can use this as character development, and Sorenson will actually have people caring about him when he comes back. As I say, this of course depends on Sorensen's health, which hopefully is not seriously damaged in the long term.

In fact, Ion's getting praise, because he stayed in character the whole time and didn't do the "WHAT HAVE I DONE??!!!" facial expressions afterwards.

Expect anyone who actually watched that clip saw him do that facial expression and saw him break character. He got back into it afterwards but he clearly broke character for a moment. As you'd expect. I understand not shitting on him for doing so but I don't see the point in lying about it. Also watching the clip, it was pretty stupid to do that moonsault where they did it. That's probably a lack of experiance though.

• Paid Members
Expect anyone who actually watched that clip saw him do that facial expression and saw him break character. He got back into it afterwards but he clearly broke character for a moment. As you'd expect. I understand not shitting on him for doing so but I don't see the point in lying about it.

Are we watching the same thing? Not everyone at home knows the far end of a fart and looks for a slight twitch to show he's really concerned. Anyone who isnt 'in the know' wouldnt know the difference. At all. I cant see where he's broke character at all in that video. He asks the referee to come back into the ring to count as soon as he's hit the move, he's laughing, he's smiling, he asks for his hand to be raised and then he cuts a promo up the ramp. Who's going to think he broke character there?

• Paid Members

As shit as TNA can be with keeping the momentum with pushes (see James Storm), they're really doing well by Austin Aries. Aye, the man is amazing but the booking team are making sure he comes across as the man in the X Division. Another solid win.

I didn't catch the PPV, I've only heard it's another one that isn't worth the bother.

Archived