TNA Against All Odds Discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Fairly average PPV, apart from Bully Ray's awesome promo, Joe and Magnus walking away champs and the Shelley and Aries match, but the opening match needs to be seen to be believed. Three minutes into the first bout, Zima Ion did a moonsault off the top turnbuckle (to the outside no less) and his knees smashed onto Jesse Sorensen's head and neck and they just stopped the match. Took him ages to get out the ringside area and all night they kept updating you on his condition. Nasty as fuck it was.

To make matters seem more serious, Hulk Hogan, Dixie Carter and other TNA staff were on twitter telling fans to fucking pray for him! Worrying stuff. Then we get this update from PWInsider:

The Jesse Sorensen situation is serious. Two backstage observers say his body went numb. They won't have test results for several hours.

Poor bastard. A bloke of any size landing knees first on your head and neck from the top rope is never good. Hope he's alright. The way they were taking him out of the ringside area was like a full on Droz situation. He's only 22 years old as well.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Fairly average PPV, apart from Bully Ray's awesome promo, Joe and Magnus walking away champs and the Shelley and Aries match, but the opening match needs to be seen to be believed. Three minutes into the first bout, Zima Ion did a moonsault off the top turnbuckle (to the outside no less) and his knees smashed onto Jesse Sorensen's head and neck and they just stopped the match. Took him ages to get out the ringside area and all night they kept updating you on his condition. Nasty as fuck it was.

To make matters seem more serious, Hulk Hogan, Dixie Carter and other TNA staff were on twitter telling fans to fucking pray for him! Worrying stuff. Then we get this update from PWInsider:

The Jesse Sorensen situation is serious. Two backstage observers say his body went numb. They won't have test results for several hours.

Poor bastard. A bloke of any size landing knees first on your head and neck from the top rope is never good. Hope he's alright. The way they were taking him out of the ringside area was like a full on Droz situation. He's only 22 years old as well.

It was absolutely horrible, looked nasty, really nasty. Hope this doesn't end up being too serious. Jesse has years to improve.

Ok, so the PPV is on Dailymotion, and being curious, I went to watch the moonsault botch, and wow, full speed it doesnt look so bad because the camera is facing the front of Jesse Sorensen. but why were they doing a moonsault spot there (in WWE set terms, where the anouncing table would be for them, but TNA dont have it there). plus, Zema has to take some blame for that, tucked his knees in after full rotation, so all Jesse was gonna see was knee

I'm struggling to remember one in a major promotion, but I take your word for it. The problem with the moonsault, as I see it, is that you can't see where you're going so there's a larger than usual element of chance than with a normal top rope move.

I don't like it when Angle does one, with decent height, in a ring.

EDIT: just seen it, and it really doesn't look too bad, and Jesse was moving afterwards, so at least it's not total paralysis. It's worrying, though isn't it, that something as potentially dangerous as that just looks commonplace nowadays.

• Paid Members

Shawn Michaels did one pretty much every year at Wrestlemania, didn't he? But then, as much as I dislike Michaels, he and Ion aren't exactly comparable in terms of in-ring reliability.

Anyway, yeah, just started watching the show and it was fucking horrible. You could just tell from the way he was lying he was fucked. And CHRIST, I've just seen where they show the bird's-eye replay, the way he falls down just looks awful. Nobody's arms go like that if they have control over them. I've been scared shitless when I've stretched my neck and cricked it, and lost feeling at the back of my tongue, so I can't fucking imagine what Sorensen and his family are going through.

The problem I have with the moonsault to the outside is they did it in such a small area, I mean if you notice, he's doing it at an angle to prevent him fucking up/smashing his legs into the guard rails. If you're gonna do one, do it by the ramp

• Paid Members

^Bang on the fucking money. Why do a move in a situation in which you know you won't be able to do it properly? There are safe ways of doing a moonsault to the outside. This was so far from that that they should show it to trainees in every wrestling school in the world and say "Don't do it like this, ever".

I'm struggling to remember one in a major promotion, but I take your word for it.

Shawn Michaels and Jeff Hardy spring to mind.

Not saying it's not dangerous, just that it's not really the first time someone's tried it. Jeff Hardy's looks very similar to how Ion's did.

Archived