TNA Against All Odds Discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

As shit as TNA can be with keeping the momentum with pushes (see James Storm), they're really doing well by Austin Aries. Aye, the man is amazing but the booking team are making sure he comes across as the man in the X Division. Another solid win.

I didn't catch the PPV, I've only heard it's another one that isn't worth the bother.

Its a shame the X-Division around Aries isnt all that great at the moment, but Austin Aries is a phenomenal champion and is so so good. A very entertaining character and I'm positive he'll get to break Christopher Daniels record as longest Champion. I think A Double is about a month off it now

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

just saw the video, pure accident. Horrible to see the guy in clear distress outside the ring for around 30 seconds before the ref calls for help :( wrestling shows are weird as hell to watch when something does go wrong, so much confusion.

• Paid Members
Jesse Sorensen remains hospitalized in intensive care after suffering a neck injury when Zema Ion's knee hit him in the top of the head while executing a moonsault out of the ring.

Those in TNA have not been told anything, which has been a cause of concern. The only word they've gotten is he is able to move his arms, and that he does have feeling in his legs but hasn't been able to move them.

Wrestling Observer

I think the reason the luchadores are safe doing it all the time is because they're doing it all the time. I know Sin Cara's a botchaphile and that leads to a lot of "heh, these midgets can't do anything" gags but when you compare a lucha dive to an indy dive you can see the difference. Don't forget that CMLL has a hell of a schedule so you're working a lot. Plus lucha rings are so hard you may as well be hurling yourself at concrete. The other thing is that you tend to pair the inexperianced people up with the good bases who know how to catch (if they're not being dicks at the time). Although botched dives happen still. Aero Star's lucky to be alive, if he still is actually because I don't think anyone's seen him for a while. Some how the lucha style seems to be one of the safest styles to work when you think of all the old maestros still going.

All true, there's no doubt that luchadors in general are just better at the highflying, mainly because they do it so often as it's a prominent feature of their whole style. It's quite easy to regularly see picture perfect dives and catches that minimises risk. The flying is perfectly done more often in lucha libre but it's not perfectly done every time - at the end of the day, they must still be getting banged up quite a lot. Every one of them gets regularly roughed up, yet the vast majority of the time they just get up and get on with it. I know sometimes you can be amazed at guys avoiding injury on certain spots in any environment (Undertaker at WM25 for instance), but it does seem to be more frequent in Mexico than anywhere else. They must be real solid buggers.

It's uncanny how often most of them escape injury, but I should add, that refers to individual spots. I reckon over the next couple of years we'll see a lot more in terms of luchadors being fucked up chronically, as a result of the long term effects of their style. And i'm not just talking about the likes of Aero star at the extreme end of the scale. There's been a pretty big shift in general style and pacing over the last 5-10 years, and imo the days of 30-40 year careers are a thing of the past due to the high-impact, spotty style of new-age lucha libre. In the past, it was pretty easy for great workers to preserve themselves physically due to the style they could work, the rolling bumps, the bar not yet being raised regarding dives etc. Modern day style is going to fuck up a lot of guys in future years imo.

I dont watch TNA too much but when was the last time they didn't have a screwy finish and/or ref bumps? Also just cause im being picky, Bully mentioned twice that he was 275 pounds but the tale of the tape and Borash said he was 326 pounds. To me Bully does not look over 300 pounds now. He is championship material now, his promos were pure money.

I also wouldnt mind seeing Roode actually win a match properly. And when did he start using the spear?

I have just seen this. I normally wait for Wednesday to watch the ppv but ouch is all i got to say which is a shame because i felt Nesse, Ion and Sorensen were going to get something going. And if he has done something serious then i hope to god TNA look after him and no Konnan/Daffney style horror stories come out.

Dixie Carter President of TNA Wrestling

Jesse Sorensen has sustained a C1 vertebrae fracture with spinal cord edema. He is slowly regaining feeling and movement in his arms and legs. He wants to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Once we speak to the neurosurgeon, we will pass on more details.

Dixie official.

This is awful. From having had to study Spinal Cord injuries this does not look good at all.

It's likely he will have a full neurological exam in the next couple of days- maybe tomorrow, most likely Wednesday, which will reveal the extent of the problems he will face in the future.

For anyone interested- the diagnosis C1 vertebrae fracture with spinal cord edema- means a fracture to the cervical vertebrae, or the section that sits closest to the skull, which in itself is perhaps the worst possible vertebrae to damage.

The impact of the fracture (it doesn't mention the type of fracture, but in this case the bone has probably crashed or splintered into the spinal cord) has caused damage to the spinal cord itself, which has then swollen. Because of the way the spinal cord swells to fill the area where the vertebrae has been displaced it means that blood supply to the brain is cut off dramatically. The extent of the injury is determined largely by how much the blood supply has been impacted, in conjunction with how many axons have been damaged. Damaged axons are usually an irreparable situation.

Time is so critical in managing the injury at source. You can only assume that he was dealt with in the best way possible. I just hope by some miracle that there is some way everything remained preserved.

I blame no-one involved, but the image of his opponent staying 'in character' sits chillingly and uncomfortably with me.

Such a sad end to the guy's career. I enjoyed watching his matches. He reminded me of a young Randy Orton in some ways. He was such a good seller already and a very good babyface. I hope he can make as good a recovery as possible and his life won't be permantely affected by this.

I blame no-one involved, but the image of his opponent staying 'in character' sits chillingly and uncomfortably with me.

I know what you mean. It's easy for us to sit here and criticise with the magic of hindsight, but seeing everyone attend to him whilst hes on the ramp going: "Yeah baby... that's why I'm the most dangerous highflyer today" kind of made me want to punch the guy in the face. I'd like to think I would of acted differently, but then things can happen so fast, especially in that environment, so I'm willing to overlook it.

On the other hand though, when I've refereed matches in the past, I've very sadly been involved in witnessing various (potentially severe) injuries. When they happen, I immediately try to control the scene (i.e. tell wrestler "B" that wrestler "A" is hurt) and get to helping the guy. However not everyone does that, and it's amazing the amount of guys who stay in character to the detriment of the guys health, even though you've told them that someone is hurt.

Actually whilst on topic (and to give credit where it is due), one exception to the above was Alex Shane. I do distinctly remember him being in a match (multi man hardcore tag match back in the FWA) and during the chaos someone got severely concussed. I missed it, but thankfully Alex Shane saw it, and actually came out of character for the split second to inform me, and then proceeded to orchestrate the other wrestlers away from the injured competitor so that i could help him. Very rare that sort of awareness.

I wish more wrestlers and referees were more aware of potential injuries during matches.

First the R-Truth incident with Miz on Raw and now this.

Seems like they are the two extremes of how not to catch a dive to the outside. Miz completely moves out the way so Truth has nothing to break his fall, and in the AAO case Sorensen stands directly under the moonsault leaving Ion no where to go but land directly on top of him. But I agree with what's been said already in this thread about there not being enough room that side of the ring for that kind of move. Must be hard on Ion too to have to deal with what's happened.

Archived