WWE Smackdown - *Spoilers* For 1/20/2012

ThePhenom

• Moderators
I'm even getting over the hair.

I'm sorry, but I never think I'll be able to get over Brylcreem Barrett's barnet. Worst hair in wrestling history. He should get together with Gary Sparrow in a time travelling tag team managed by a lovable yet useless fat Scouse printer.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is nice to see the WWE taking Regal seriously.

He was clearly having a good time, he's always enjoyed doing the comedy you can tell. He's always brilliant at it, whether it's his comedy gold facial expressions or his one liners. It was put in there before the World Title match that's storyline involves a woman being manipulated into getting hurt by a 7ft bloke to save her boyfriend's belt, and provides some light hearted fun before all of the serious business begins. It added to a well paced wrestling show. What would you have had him doing at this stage of his career on that show?

Let me guess, they should be booking him in 20 minute technical exhibitions every week rather than letting him be absolute top quality in comedy segments (and helping get a new face over)

Comedy segments can get a person over but I would have thought that someone with the wrestling talents of William Regal could be utilised better for example, yes he was effective in his segment with Brodus Clay but he can be just as effective in getting someone over in a wrestling match.

Let me guess, they should be booking him in 20 minute technical exhibitions every week rather than letting him be absolute top quality in comedy segments (and helping get a new face over)

Comedy segments can get a person over but I would have thought that someone with the wrestling talents of William Regal could be utilised better for example, yes he was effective in his segment with Brodus Clay but he can be just as effective in getting someone over in a wrestling match.

I hate you so much.

He will get Brodus over in a match too, no doubt.

Regal has done countless comedy skits over the years and expressed a great love for the classic British comedies in his autobiography. He clearly enjoys doing them.

Kurt Angle did loads of comedy early in his career, as did Jericho in 1998/1999, Edge did in collaboration with Christian in the early part of last decade, Austin was hilarious at points during his heel run in 2001. HHH and Shawn Michaels also did countless comedy skits as a part of DX. All of those names mentioned are greatly respected for being talented performers in the ring and having played serious characters throughout their career too.

• Paid Members

Regal has hardly ever been taken seriously in WWE because he does the funny bastard so well. With the exception of his GM Darth Vader run in 2008 all his 'serious' runs were fucking shit. Late 2001/2002 and that shitehouse tag team with Dave Taylor. Just because he happens to also be a fine in-ring wrestler doesn't mean that's what they should be enhancing. You would have complained even more if Regal just got squashed by Clay like Jimmy The Gimmick and Baby Edge did in the last few weeks. If they have a match next week then you have a build-up here that was amusing as it gave Regal a chance to take the piss and it got Brodus over more as a character beyond his recent squash matches.

Don't be so fucking miserable.

Regal has hardly ever been taken seriously in WWE because he does the funny bastard so well. With the exception of his GM Darth Vader run in 2008 all his 'serious' runs were fucking shit. Late 2001/2002 and that shitehouse tag team with Dave Taylor.

Pull the other one, that Dave Taylor team produced a ton of good matches with Londrick and the Mexicools. But besides that, yeah there's nothing wrong with Regal being in comedy skits. He was clearly having a great time on Smackdown.

Archived