TildeGuys January Football Transfers Thread

TildeGuy~!

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Has Downing been that bad at Liverpool? I would rather have kept him then Young when the both left.

I think when he signed the idea was that his chief role was going to be "Carroll Assister", and for the most part he's still putting in decent crosses from either flank, unfortunately having one guy in the box, and that guy having the movement of a spade, means he's not really getting much reward. He seems to have developed a fetish for hitting the post too which doesn't help. Basically from what I've seen he's been fairly poor, but not as poor as Carroll, Adam or Henderson in my opinion.

• Paid Members
Has Downing been that bad at Liverpool? I would rather have kept him then Young when the both left.

I think when he signed the idea was that his chief role was going to be "Carroll Assister", and for the most part he's still putting in decent crosses from either flank, unfortunately having one guy in the box, and that guy having the movement of a spade, means he's not really getting much reward. He seems to have developed a fetish for hitting the post too which doesn't help. Basically from what I've seen he's been fairly poor, but not as poor as Carroll, Adam or Henderson in my opinion.

I'm torn on Downing. One minute I think he can really achieve something, the next I think he is bollocks. He simply looks like he just doesn't believe in his abilities. He seems scared to really take someone on one on one, and only really seems confident when he knows that he has the fullbacks number (against Newcastle's Ryan Taylor is a prime example).

I actually think Henderson is beginning to look better and more settled so I would stick with him. Adam, well, he cost

Well, if Liverpool are looking for a striker more suited to their style of pass and move football, Darren Bent is not that man. Looking at Michael Cox's Guardian chalkboards, against Newcastle a couple of months back he contributed 18 passes throughout the entire game. Even worse, only 11 were successful, two of them at the kick off. In the Everton game he made 20 passes, 10 of which were successful. If we're asking for a hypothetical ideal striker for the Liverpool game, it would be Jermain Defoe. Jermain Defoe of late regularly drops deep to start attacks, not only that but he scores regularly. It's just a shame 'Arry is unlikely to let him go.

• Paid Members
Well, if Liverpool are looking for a striker more suited to their style of pass and move football, Darren Bent is not that man. Looking at Michael Cox's Guardian chalkboards, against Newcastle a couple of months back he contributed 18 passes throughout the entire game. Even worse, only 11 were successful, two of them at the kick off. In the Everton game he made 20 passes, 10 of which were successful. If we're asking for a hypothetical ideal striker for the Liverpool game, it would be Jermain Defoe. Jermain Defoe of late regularly drops deep to start attacks, not only that but he scores regularly. It's just a shame 'Arry is unlikely to let him go.

Quite a good shout there Trev. Whilst I don't think Defoe is an ideal solution, he would certainly be an improvement. I still think Defoe is not exactly Mr Skillful, but he can certainly pass the ball better than Darren Bent and can hit the back of the net. I would actually think he and Suarez would make a good partnership, although I can already see the obvious remarks which may now materialise from that comment.

Gently sidestepping that GLARING joke, I don't think they would. Both Suarez and Defoe drop deep into the midfield, it's why Adebayor and Defoe are such a good parternship. Defoe does all the running, helping out in the midfield, Adebayor concentrates solely on hitting the net.

• Paid Members

I'm torn on Downing. One minute I think he can really achieve something, the next I think he is bollocks. He simply looks like he just doesn't believe in his abilities. He seems scared to really take someone on one on one, and only really seems confident when he knows that he has the fullbacks number (against Newcastle's Ryan Taylor is a prime example).

Yeh but taking people on has never been his strongest asset, he's always for me been an above average Premier League player with a very good cross on him but whenever he's putting his crosses in for 'Pool Suarez is generally still outside of the box having linked up the play to get the ball out to Downing, leaving only Carroll in the box. Perhaps it's Downing that's lost confidence in Carroll's ability to get on the end of anything and is instead looking for other options other than his main strength.

• Paid Members
Gently sidestepping that GLARING joke, I don't think they would. Both Suarez and Defoe drop deep into the midfield, it's why Adebayor and Defoe are such a good parternship. Defoe does all the running, helping out in the midfield, Adebayor concentrates solely on hitting the net.

I will hold my hands up if I'm wrong, but I've never perceived Defoe as that type of player. Whenever I think of Defoe I always think of him as a striker on the last defender trying to make those runs, an outright goalscorer. However, he struggles in the formation Harry likes to play as he is not a lone front man and needs a partner alongside of him. I'm not saying that Defoe doesn't have the attributes you've mentioned, but I don't see him in the same vein as Suarez.

Also Burchill's Buddy, regarding Downing, that's the thing, Downing has the pace (according to Liverpool's strength and conditioning coach) to beat these players but chooses not to for some reason. I agree, it could be due to a lack in faith in Carroll's ability, but when Gerrard came on against Newcastle last week he was wipping in balls left right and centre. Surely if Downing has lost the faith Gerrard would have?

Who knows, but I do believe there is an excellent player in there somewhere.

• Paid Members

Vito is back! Delighted, he was ace for us last season. I'm not sure if this means Steve Harper isn't coming now. I know Newcastle won't let him be cup-tied so he's not coming this week.

I'm told Josh King will come in from Man United this week too. Any Man U's know much about him?

• Paid Members
I'm told Josh King will come in from Man United this week too. Any Man U's know much about him?

Another one of ours off to your lot eh? Yeah King's a decent looking striker. Haven't seen that much of him recently as he's been out on loan at Monchengladbach, very pacey and looked a hell of a lot stronger physically last year then he did the year before (usually happens in their transition from Academy to reserves I guess). A bit wasteful sometimes and is one of those who needs a few chances to score, he's got a bit of skill too. 8 in 16 for our reserves last year having spent the first half of it out on loan at Preston. Year before that he was banging them in for the Academy. Mainly plays as a central striker but I've seen him play wide right a couple of times.

Archived