TildeGuys January Football Transfers Thread

TildeGuy~!

Still a bit gutted we sold Bobby Z. Hes got a place in my heart after those European nights. Hope he does well for QPR and I'm sure Hughes will get the best out of him.

Pavel Pogrebnyak and Ryan Williams should hopefully be good signings though to hopefully get us that midtabled success.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saha and Nelsen might well be signings influenced by the incoming Financial Fair Play rules - Spurs keep the same numbers squad size wise, but their wages will probably be a lot lower than Bassong and Pavlyuchenko who were both bought when their reputations were at their highest - might well give them more room for manoeuvre to attract higher profile players in the summer now Champions League looks quite likely for them.

We pay rubbish wages and charge the earth for tickets.

Pav and Bassong wanted to go and this is simply the best we could come up with. Pathetic stuff.

Oh come on, its minimal business of chipping out two reserve (practically) players and bringing another two in whilst saving a fair few quid in the process. You have four first choice centre backs in front of Nelson and two strikers and VDV infront of Saha. If anything, it shows your club has sense and a plan that they have players lined up if they are able to offload some at the last minute. What do some fans expect sometimes?

The window has left us with no back up right back, only Danny Rose to cover left back and left wing, no back up right sided forward and the most frustrating aspect of it all is it's our best chance in decades of really achieving something in the league and we have bottled it.

What do fans expect? Well we expected a proper centre half to replace Bassong as whilst Ledley and Gallas are great, lets be honest their both crocks. Selling Corluka is ok but what if Walker gets injured? Pineear was garbage but letting him go with no replacement has again left us short, something which they knew as they spent most of the day chasing Krasic.

What do fans expect? i'd say they expect to leave the window stronger than when they started it. Clearly hasn't happened here.

The window has left us with no back up right back, Selling Corluka is ok but what if Walker gets injured?

Wow ok, ill try and answer all of these points. Firstly, Corluka hasnt even really been second choice right back this season, with I believe Kaboul being preferred when Walker isnt fit.

only Danny Rose to cover left back and left wing,

Untrue, Bale can revert to left back in the unlikely event BAE gets injured in your remaining 16/17 games, you also have Niko Kranjkaer to cover left mid and Modric has been used there before too with Sandro and Parker in the middle, and Danny Rose of course, thats 4 options atleast without including the kids in the reserves.

no back up right sided forward and the most frustrating aspect of it all is it's our best chance in decades of really achieving something in the league and we have bottled it.

Kind of understand this but you do of course have VDV who has played there this season (to great affect I might add) and Kyle Walker has played there before too, with Kaboul behind him. In essence it seems you are moaning about not buying quality back ups, when quality back ups are few and far between and of course nobody wants to be that, a back up.

Yes it may be your best chance in decades, but dont forget why that is and who got you there, a very skillful manager who can get the best from players, a manager who likes flexible players and thats just what he has got.

What do fans expect? Well we expected a proper centre half to replace Bassong as whilst Ledley and Gallas are great, lets be honest their both crocks.

You have FOUR Centre Backs still at the club. Kaboul, Dawson, Gallas and King. You may also have Ryan Nelsen. And what do you mean by proper centre half? Did you want Nemanja Vidic or Carlos Puyol? You have brought in a fifth choice centre back, im not sure how much better you expected to fill that position in the squad.

Pineear was garbage but letting him go with no replacement has again left us short, something which they knew as they spent most of the day chasing Krasic.

Shorter where exactly? In the reserves? Or your Europa League squad? How many Premier League games had Pienaar started this season? Zero. You are left short nowhere by his departure.

What do fans expect? i'd say they expect to leave the window stronger than when they started it. Clearly hasn't happened here.

I wont argue that you aren't stronger, but you were already very strong throughout, but where are you weaker? You've let 3 back ups, one a 3rd choice striker (in a team that usually plays one up top), another a fifth choice CB and the other a nobody who didn't have a chance of starting a game even if hed stayed for another season. Why do you expect to be stronger after every transfer window too, is that possible for every team?

You are expecting too much and are being unrealistic. Tottenham have done fantastic business, cut massive costs and made money, just like usual, about to start building a great new stadium and could be in the CL again next year. Get used to the penny pushing when that stadium starts getting built.

Everton target free transfer Alexander Hleb

31 January 2012 - 16:31 GMT, by Samuel Turnbull

A report form Spain suggests that Barcelona midfielder Alexander Hleb has been released from his contract at the club, and is now free to talk to any club. Everton are amongst those all interested in a deal for the Belarus international.

Hleb spent some time with Birmingham City last year, but failed to save the club from relegation and later was released from the club.

The Belarus midfielder has always admitted that he would like to return to the Premier League, and it appears that Everton have already almost completed a deal for the player.

Wow ok, ill try and answer all of these points. Firstly, Corluka hasnt even really been second choice right back this season, with I believe Kaboul being preferred when Walker isnt fit.

Corluka was injured. Yes Kaboul can play there but this season he has been by far our best centre half and he doesn't like or want to play right back.

Untrue, Bale can revert to left back in the unlikely event BAE gets injured in your remaining 16/17 games, you also have Niko Kranjkaer to cover left mid and Modric has been used there before too with Sandro and Parker in the middle, and Danny Rose of course, thats 4 options atleast without including the kids in the reserves.

All of which totally unbalances the side and risks a winning formula. Bale is our biggest attacking threat so left back is the last place we want him, if he gets injured our only option is Danny Rose who is nowhere near good enough in midfield, Kranjkar who means we take away a crucial part of our success-width or as you say Modric who likes Krankjar reduces our width and also means we lose our best central midfielder.

Pineear was shit but he did need replacing.

Kind of understand this but you do of course have VDV who has played there this season (to great affect I might add) and Kyle Walker has played there before too, with Kaboul behind him. In essence it seems you are moaning about not buying quality back ups, when quality back ups are few and far between and of course nobody wants to be that, a back up.

VDV can play right wing but again no width, he doesn't track back and hates it out there. I don't want quality back ups, i want options and competition. Krasic for instance would have competed with Lennon rather than backed him up.

Yes it may be your best chance in decades, but dont forget why that is and who got you there, a very skillful manager who can get the best from players, a manager who likes flexible players and thats just what he has got.

What's flexible about Ryan Nelson?

You have FOUR Centre Backs still at the club. Kaboul, Dawson, Gallas and King. You may also have Ryan Nelsen. And what do you mean by proper centre half? Did you want Nemanja Vidic or Carlos Puyol? You have brought in a fifth choice centre back, im not sure how much better you expected to fill that position in the squad.

I wanted to not loan Bassong out and get a right back in to back up Kyle Walker.

Shorter where exactly? In the reserves? Or your Europa League squad? How many Premier League games had Pienaar started this season? Zero. You are left short nowhere by his departure.

In last nights match alone we took off VDV and Walker with injury scares and Lennon is out already. Pick a side from whats left that will get a result at Anfield.

I wont argue that you aren't stronger, but you were already very strong throughout, but where are you weaker? You've let 3 back ups, one a 3rd choice striker (in a team that usually plays one up top), another a fifth choice CB and the other a nobody who didn't have a chance of starting a game even if hed stayed for another season. Why do you expect to be stronger after every transfer window too, is that possible for every team?

We have next to no competition for places anywhere now except central midfield. Competition is healthy and good reserves are vital especially towards the back end of a season. EVERY team should aim to be stronger at the aim of every window. If your not then the clubs management aren't doing their jobs or your going bust, i know the latter isn't true of us.

You are expecting too much and are being unrealistic. Tottenham have done fantastic business, cut massive costs and made money, just like usual, about to start building a great new stadium and could be in the CL again next year. Get used to the penny pushing when that stadium starts getting built.

It's the carrot dangling thing. Every window i hear excuses, i mean we still haven't replaced Berbatov on a permenent basis! Fantastic business would have been to get in a good wide man to alternate with Bale and Lennon and to have kept Corluka.

• Paid Members

Christ alive. You're third in the league and only 5 points behind the leaders, and for the first time in more than two decades look like you can genuinely challenge for the title. You haven't hit a rut yet, still winning games comfortably and have a very strong balanced squad with sufficient cover. Yet it's still not enough is it, for fuck sake. Doom and gloom coming from you when you are better than you've been in a VERY long time, arguably since the Bill Nicks side of the 60s.

Cheer the fuck up, enjoy this season and count yourself lucky. And look back to the last 20 years of countless managers, no major trophies and trying to shake off the 'sleeping giant' tag, then hopefully you can appreciate these are good times for your lot. And to boot, you're comfortably above us.

Christ alive. You're third in the league and only 5 points behind the leaders, and for the first time in more than two decades look like you can genuinely challenge for the title. You haven't hit a rut yet, still winning games comfortably and have a very strong balanced squad with sufficient cover. Yet it's still not enough is it, for fuck sake. Doom and gloom coming from you when you are better than you've been in a VERY long time, arguably since the Bill Nicks side of the 60s.

Cheer the fuck up, enjoy this season and count yourself lucky. And look back to the last 20 years of countless managers, no major trophies and trying to shake off the 'sleeping giant' tag, then hopefully you can appreciate these are good times for your lot. And to boot, you're comfortably above us.

I could say the same to the Arsenal fans constantly moaning about your lack of transfers or Wengers tactial nous despite the fact his probably your greatest manager in history.

Thats not a dig by the way but it is relevant to the point i'm trying to make. Arsenal fans have had it amazing under Wenger as have Spurs fans under Redknapp that doesn't meean to say everything is bright and rosey.

We have had an awful transfer policy for a long long time now. And whilst yes as you point out we can challenge for the title this season, my argument is the business we have done in january is hardly going to push us on to that level which will enable us to catch the Manchester clubs. In fact the business we have done has taken us backwards.

It's heartbreaking in a way because this is our one and only chance. Modric is off in the summer more than likely and i can't see Adebayor staying.

All football fans moan when their club doesn't do whats needed to push on.

Archived