Best Video Game Soundtracks

patiirc

Ok my nominations.

GTA Series anything featuring Lazlow -

- Its pure cheese.

I must agree

and
had some great tracks on it. A really nice preview of each place before each game.

But I do like the whole

and the Heavy Rain Soundtrack nothing the music works so well when you
if you choose to do it but every piece of music works so well in that game, and with a game like Heavy Rain music is everything to set the scene.

Not forgetting Goldeneye 64 that has to be my favourite, proves Midi sounds can work really well and alot better than some track of today IE the sonic series, the midi tracks were alot better than todays BGM's.

Edited by ajmcstyles

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok my nominations.

GTA Series anything featuring Lazlow - V-Rock, Chatterbox, Integrity 2.0

Belgium Theme on Super Soccer on the SNES

1000 Words on FFX-2

Sakura's Theme on Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo

I must agree Fifa 98 and World Cup 98 had some great tracks on it. A really nice preview of each place before each game.

But I do like the whole flower soundtrack and the Heavy Rain Soundtrack nothing the music works so well when you slice Ethans finger off if you choose to do it but every piece of music works so well in that game, and with a game like Heavy Rain music is everything to set the scene.

Not forgetting Goldeneye 64 that has to be my favourite, proves Midi sounds can work really well and alot better than some track of today IE the sonic series, the midi tracks were alot better than todays BGM's.

At least give some youtube links with them you lazy fuck. Especially with TripleA's efforts.

When the guitar kicks in at the beginning I used to get super pumped. Great choice for a game like this.

Awesome choice, I played that game to death (and 2 before it) and the soundtrack just really compliments both perfectly. I really can't wait for the HD compilation later this year.

• Paid Members

I'd not seen this thread before and came into post about the SF2 soundtrack. When I bought my first copy of Nintendo Magazine System it came with a free CD of the arcade OST to help promote the forthcoming Super NES port, and I fell in love with it from start to finish. I had never played the arcade game but the music was boss.

Of course, when the game came out it became my favourite, and honestly there are only Street Fighter games and wrestling games I've kept up with, I barely bother playing any other video game any more.

Anyhoo I see that there is already a version of Ryu's stage theme in the contents post, but it appears to be from one of the sequels or console ports (I'm guessing SSF2) but I never thought they were quite as cool as the original arcade cuts. Judge for yourself

if you're weird like me.

I fucking love most of the music for the whole series to be honest. I loved

track when I first stumbled across it on Alpha 2 on the PS, made even more awesome by the background itself and the context of the fight between Ryu and Sagat.

Oh, and I reckon enough has been said about Guile's theme already.

• Paid Members

I was going to carry on the Boss music stuff but the only consoles left I have much of a clue about are the Gamecube and N64, but having never owned an N64 and there only a handful of good 'Cube games I didn't bother. Instead, here's a multi-platform list of the greatest Level 1/Intro/Round 1/Stage 1/etc music. Spanning both retro and modern consoles. Hope you enjoy them.

I've cheated a bit on games such as Mega Man where you can pick your first stage, so for those I've chosen my favourites and narrowed them down to a couple.

NES -

Super Mario Bros 3 - 1-1 Theme

Vampire Killer is arguably my favourite opening level music, despite me not being that big on the CastleVania Series.

SNES -

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Klomp's Romp

Donkey Kong Country 3 - Stilt Village

Super Metroid - Escape from the Space Colony

Sorry for the lack of Nintendo themes, I'm sure there's tons more but I never had many games for either my NES or SNES, and some of them had better themes on the Megadrive.

Speaking of which, Megadrive is next and will probably be packed.

Edited by TripleA

• Paid Members

Megadrive -

Sonic Spinball - Toxic Caves

Revenge of Shinobi - The Shinobi

Shadow Dancer - 1-1

Golden Axe - Wilderness

The Terminator (Sega CD) - Stage 1

Dynamite Headdy - The Getaway

Aladdin - Prince Ali (I think this was the first level? If not, balls to it)

Altered Beast - Wise Fwom Your Gwave

Again, sorry if I've missed obvious ones/your favourites. Feel free to add your own in, Pat's only going to add them all to the opening post anyway.

Edited by TripleA

Are there any Arcade themes out there? I imagine they'd be really hard to capture, unless you used MAME I suppose.

I remember the Outrun 2 theme that used to blast out of the tilting cabinet was fairly awesome.

• Paid Members

I'm going to do Arcade soon, but again it's something I'm not hugely familiar with. Just the big ones like Street Fighter, Time Crisis, Point Blank, and stuff like 1942 and Metal Slug and whatnot.