Best Video Game Soundtracks

patiirc

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, Final Fantasy VII has to take the award for best original videogame soundtrack of all time. That game really broke the mold.

Not best, certainly but definitely influential. Being the first major JPRG on CD meant that they could have that higher quality music and that set the pathway from in game music to full game soundtracks. There have been countless games that have had better soundtracks since FFVII (Including most of the FF games since that one!) so definitely not the best but it'll always have it's place in video game history and rightly so.

• Paid Members
EA was responsible for some top music on the Mega Drive, probably my favourites.

Road Rash

Great call. Road Rash II was one of my favourite title themes growing up.

I never played any of the Mega Drive titles (however played the Game Boy version), but Road Rash 3D on the PlayStation had a great soundtrack. So great, I even compiled a playlist of the in-game songs on Spotify! The only other two games that have achieved that from me are Need For Speed Underground 2 and GTA IV.

Nice thread.

Ridge Racer Type 4 would be a good one for me, not only the best game in the series but best music too, if you like chill out smooth beats;

The whole thing is great and worth listening to.

Some other soundtracks I like are;

Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver Theme

If you like epic final fantasy/zelda type music you should like that.

KOF series namely 98 and 2002

98 intro

2002um

Always been more of a KOF fan than SF bog standard characters, KOF always had cooler more stylish characters and music imo.

Sticking with fighters Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution has a cracking soundtrack, some tracks;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSdDo8S_zAs

If you love having guitars shoved into your music as much as I do I think you will like that.

Sonic has been mentioned but while I dont like the whole soundtrack this track of Sonic 4 is great;

One of the stages on Streets of Rage 2 sounded exactly like The Shamen's Move Any Mountain track.

Me and my next door neighbor are big 8 / 16 bit enthusiasts and also early 90’s popular rave / acid house enthusiasts. We regularly complete this game on co-op mode whilst drinking on weekday evenings, and we always sing along to that song with the move any mountain vocals.

Glad there’s others that have noticed the similarity!

You know there are quite a few old games from 8bit-32bit era that are either blatant rip offs or very much inspired by a real song, the ending in sonic2 would be one, although they make it quite clear that is from a real song, but then you have ones like this that dont make it clear at all;

MOTW, Rocks theme;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7RDGbpmf4A

Which sounds like

robert miles - children theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Lf39omK4U

I mostly found this to be the case with a lot of MegaDrive games, playing the games as my younger self back then, I would think, hmm that beat sounds a lot like "insert band/singer here" I guess it was much easier to get away with back then, chip music and all.

About that am I'm the only one who prefers chip music for games? dont get me wrong as my list shows I like modern stuff too, I just dont like how games have become like standard mainstream music, kind of like Chest was saying, for example if you dont like rap music you would hardly like Madworlds soundtrack at all, you see I like that soundtrack but I find it hard to call game music.

Oh and as far as Streets Of Rage goes, again am I the only one who thinks Motohiro Kawashima has the beater beats on that rather than Yuzo? not saying Yuzo is crap not at all, its a great soundtrack, I just think Motohiro has the better beats, too bad he pretty much worked on nothing else other than shinobi, would have loved to hear more from him.

Edited by The Total Package

• Paid Members

Recycled though a lot of it may be, the music in Zelda games never fails to stir the soul. Off the top of my head, I love the walking-round-Hyrule-field-at-night music from Twilight Princess, and that music from the island with the bird-postmen in Wind Waker.