Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

According to this website, Chris Warren of DX Band fame has died aged 49. 

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/42723/DX-Band-Singer-Chris-Warren-Passes-Away-Suddenly-Aged/

I know it's not exactly one of the most trustworthy sites when it comes to wrestling news, but sad news if it's true. 

My first memory involving him was constantly telling people "no, it wasn't Rage Against The Machine"

• Paid Members

As I've been away, are we all aware The Resurrection of Jake the Snake is now on UK Netflix? I phoned up Iain Lee who was talking about it on Talkradio last week. He loved it but never watched wrestling growing up. I liked it a lot

Edited by Nick Soapdish

Chris Warren singing "America The Beautiful" is as big an image in my mind of the change of era in the WWF as anything. The DX song was pretty incredible.

"Only in America and the World Wrestling Federation can there be this kind of freedom of expression. This is WrestleMania" right after is one of J.R.s more underrated calls too. Era defining stuff.

It was fucking gash though. I stuck the wrestlemania 14 dvd on recently whilst making some flat pack furniture and had to scramble to find the remote to end that terrible opening. They got booed like crazy.

I could never really tell. DX were a heel act but surely the music wasn't meant to be that gash on purpose. You can spot Jim Johnson playing I believe bass as well.

• Paid Members

Well they cut the performance from the US version of the video, so they must have thought they were going to get an Aretha Franklin level reaction. I liked it though. The performance is horrendous, but there's something so of its time about it. Like the WWF had official left the cartoon era.

Well they cut the performance from the US version of the video, so they must have thought they were going to get an Aretha Franklin level reaction. I liked it though. The performance is horrendous, but there's something so of its time about it. Like the WWF had official left the cartoon era.

I did note that it was dropped from the Network Version.   I do remember J.R. saying "This is the ultimate expression of freedom of speech" loosely translated as "Yeah, I know its shite, but, he's lucky he's in a country where they let you do this type of thing."  

You can't imagine this sort of thing post 911, unless it was an anti America gimmick that gets a jolly good thrashing from John Cena before he gets to "home of the brave."  

Think that's just MC Run and DMC left who sang on a Triple H theme still alive now after Lemmy and Dave Williams

Depends on who sang on Ode to Joy!

Haha, true that. On another note, what are people's opinions on that transitional period of Triple H's career? Still being called Hunter Hearst Helmsley and coming out to Ode to Joy but doing the bow into the suck it sign, Chyna as the bodyguard and forming DX etc. I always thought it was a cool hybrid of the blue blood (I always liked this gimmick though to be fair) and what he would later become, and he had that sweet shirt with the gold H3 logo (which I actually managed to fine an as-new condition one on ebay, paid over the odds for it but it's awesome, though I think it's obscure enough at this point that I've never had anyone comment on it out and about). Trying to find that wax seal shirt he had as well, pretty difficult to find these old shirts now.

Think that's just MC Run and DMC left who sang on a Triple H theme still alive now after Lemmy and Dave Williams

Depends on who sang on Ode to Joy!

Haha, true that. On another note, what are people's opinions on that transitional period of Triple H's career? Still being called Hunter Hearst Helmsley and coming out to Ode to Joy but doing the bow into the suck it sign, Chyna as the bodyguard and forming DX etc. I always thought it was a cool hybrid of the blue blood (I always liked this gimmick though to be fair) and what he would later become, and he had that sweet shirt with the gold H3 logo (which I actually managed to fine an as-new condition one on ebay, paid over the odds for it but it's awesome, though I think it's obscure enough at this point that I've never had anyone comment on it out and about). Trying to find that wax seal shirt he had as well, pretty difficult to find these old shirts now.

I don't think time's been too kind to pre game Triple H, has it? I want to say he was one of the stronger characters on Raw by default in 1997 but how many decent angles and matches can you really attribute to him? He was such a good mechanic back then before he got thrown into huge matches. Sure he'd always put on a well worked match but it always came off as such an exhibition. The kind of student-of-the-game match you'd do in front of a group of students to show them how to work tight. Completely unspectacular.

I can't even remember him on the mic much in 97 when he clearly could have been doing some interesting things. Because I did like when he had Ode To Joy but just strode out in his normal walk looking a bit miffed at everything. He came off like an absolute plank in DX playing Kernie to Michael's Jimbo Jones. He done good stuff with Mankind but my two main memories of him from that period are having the camera cut away as he's about to add something to Michael's Bad Blood pre match promo and sounding like a prick and picking up the award for Shittest Liar being confronted outside the locker rooms by Bret Hart's wife in Wrestling With Shadows.

The H3 logo was class, though. I've always wanted that shirt, too!