Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Chris Jericho @IAmJericho 9h9 hours ago

Hey @BillDeMott is a good friend & great trainer. If u can’t handle it then quit. My training at #HartBrothers camp was 10,000 times worse!

In response.

ec3™ @EthanCarterTNA  ·  8h 8 hours ago

I love/sacrificed for pro wrestling. A Hart can stretch me any day. A know nothing dipshit slapping me when I'm concussed is different.

ECIII just slapped Jericho down there.

Thing with DeMott is, that's why he was hired. WWE thinks NXT is the easiest form of training anyway (which it is in fairness). They have the best gym, the best trainers, they are actually getting paid, they are living next to a beach, they dont pay for expenses. They have it made. DeMott was hired to be the drill sergeant. To get in their faces and be a cunt to them. DeMott is basically doing what they are asking of him. Now if he's slapping people when concussed and calling people faggots, then that's obviously a bit rum. But they didnt hire Hugh Morrus to be a nice guy. This is the mentality WWE promote. They know what is going on, because its not like they hired Mr. Smiley to be the trainer there. They know his reputation from his previous stint.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

its not like they hired Mr. Smiley to be the trainer there

Yes, they did. (Norman Smiley reference) :)

I see the logic but WWE's desperate to be this 'We're a nice company' schtick - being a drill-sergeant is one thing. Verbally abusing people and making them work when injured is another. Sadly, it aint the same business where Hiro Matsuda broke Hoogan's leg or Brody taped razor blades to his fingers. It's 'corporate' now, and corporation's have to be responsible for the well-being of their employees (or independent contractors).

WWE can't have it both ways - they either stay the 'carny wrasslin' 'stitch-me-up-Doc' mentality of decades past or go with the 'we're a big-time sports and entertainment company who provides the best facilities and training for our students and their health and wellbeing (wellness programme, free drug rehab etc) is our top priority'.

Wrestling 'ain't ballet' but at the same time HHH has emphasised how he wants NXT to be a place where ex-football players, athletes etc. can come and train and feel like home. Yell at them, push them, force them to work out until they barf, they're used to that - but these Bill DeMott reports are becoming all too frequent for it just to be a few butt-hurt ex-football players who couldn't handle pro-wrestling, in my opinion.

• Paid Members

I've always found the wrestling logic of the training being really tough and brutal to be ridiculous. Thousands of stories over the years of trainers doing all kinds of rough stuff just to prove "wrestling ain't ballet". It makes no sense. If you start MMA training, if you do something wrong I'm pretty sure the coach doesn't rip your t-shirt off and call you a faggot. If you're doing boxing and get hurt I doubt your coach will smack you around the head. If you play for Arsenal and get something wrong in training I doubt Arsene Wenger is going to tell you that he hopes you die and slap you in the face. It doesn't seem a logical way to run a training facility for ANYTHING, let alone something that isn't even a real sport.

And as others have alluded to, when your the number 1 wrestling company in the world why would you have Bill DeMott as the head trainer of all your future stars? He never had a single memorable match, angle or promo in his entire career.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

There's plenty of hasing and ribbing in all kinds of training in every sport. Man United's famous class of 92 all were made to fuck a mop when they were coming through. David Beckham had to pretend to shag Clayton Blackmore's calander. Paul Scholes was thrown in a tumble dryer and had a panic attack when he was breaking in. If you have a bunch of excitable lads, there's going to be roughing up and bullying. I've no doubt it happens in boxing, MMA, rugby, the lot. Doesn't make it right, but its far from exclusive to wrestling. I'd probably rather be trained by Hugh Morrus than play alongside Roy Keane in the late 90s and do something wrong. A lot of successful people rule by fear.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

I'd imagine DeMott is just well liked by his peers, and as a result has had loads of people putting good words in for him over the years

I remember when he won the US title in WCW and they showed loads of the roster celebrating and everyone going on about how much he deserved it, fair enough that was kayfabed but I'm sure Lance Storm wrote an article years ago about how everyone backstage was genuinely happy for him

He does sound like a knob though so hopefully they fuck him off, though thats mainly because I'm watching old Nitros and he was a complete rip off of heel Doink doing the laughing then serious look for his entrance, shite

I've always found the wrestling logic of the training being really tough and brutal to be ridiculous. Thousands of stories over the years of trainers doing all kinds of rough stuff just to prove "wrestling ain't ballet". It makes no sense. If you start MMA training, if you do something wrong I'm pretty sure the coach doesn't rip your t-shirt off and call you a faggot. If you're doing boxing and get hurt I doubt your coach will smack you around the head. If you play for Arsenal and get something wrong in training I doubt Arsene Wenger is going to tell you that he hopes you die and slap you in the face. It doesn't seem a logical way to run a training facility for ANYTHING, let alone something that isn't even a real sport.

Yeah, it actually used to be worse. Like it's been mentioned Hiro Matsuda broke Hulk's leg to see if he was tough enough to want to be a wrestler. Also can't remember it was in Bill Watts book or someone else's but they (or one of their trainers) knocked some guys eye out (think it was an ex-american football player or something similar) and stood on it, which I guess was to prove that 'rasslers' are tough. I know Stu Hart used to stretch guys and hurt them bad like make them pass out & such but I don't think he'd intentional break a leg/arm or stand on someone's eyeball. I would assume that mentality all goes back to the carny days where they had to be shooters & take care of business if someone jumped them or the other guy(s) wouldn't do the job. I think it even went into the 80's too when Verne Gagne was allegedly offering to pay Sheiky to break Hogan's leg and take the WWF belt to the AWA. But in the modern day, that stuff should be eradicated. I mean back in the day if IIRC Del Rio & think it was someone else (Sheamus?) who got beat up in a bar fight and turned up on Raw with two black eyes that kinda thing wouldn't have gone over well back in the territory days. Back then they had to act like hard men to protect the business, now they don't really need to bully rookies and run them through tough drills and stuff because it's un-necessary. Time's have changed & whilst I think they have to put the element of respect into the training, it's the wrong mentality to go about it the wrong way. Maybe sit down the trainees and tell them stories about the old territory days & stuff that way you've gained their respect without resorting to hazing, insults & such. 

There's plenty of hasing and ribbing in all kinds of training in every sport. Man United's famous class of 92 all were made to fuck a mop when they were coming through. David Beckham had to pretend to shag Clayton Blackmore's calander. Paul Scholes was thrown in a tumble dryer and had a panic attack when he was breaking in. If you have a bunch of excitable lads, there's going to be roughing up and bullying. I've no doubt it happens in boxing, MMA, rugby, the lot. Doesn't make it right, but its far from exclusive to wrestling. I'd probably rather be trained by Hugh Morrus than play alongside Roy Keane in the late 90s and do something wrong. A lot of successful people rule by fear.

Yep I've read/heard that before. In other football books I've read, football apprentices/trainees were made to sing karaoke, had their clothes & shoes cut up or padlocked to the floor/ceiling, in one football autobiography I read they made someone put boot polish all over themselves and then run laps around the training pitch. Also wasn't JBL known as a bad guy for hazing rookies?

Edited by Really Big Shoe

• Paid Members

Anyway if there is some evidence to it, it's shocking the Demott or Michael Hayes are still employed.

Also fuck Jericho, I'm amazed he didn't tell them all to try bowling.

Edited by WWFChilli

Going back to DeMott, I think he worked in Japan as Crash the Terminator and in Japan they are renowned for treating trainees over there like garbage. IIRC in the GAEA Girls doc they beat the crap out of the rookies on there. Plus they are treated similar to how the old football apprentices used to be where they have to do all the menial work & such. So maybe Bill DeMott picked up that type of attitude from working in Japan. WWE really should stamp down on the homophobic stuff since they have an openly gay wrestler on their roster & they have done stuff for the Gay & Lesbian charities before, so it's hypocritical if they let one of their employees say stuff like that. Also if Bill DeMott is slapping people around with concussions (doesn't WWE have something to do with the Sports Legacy Institute now which looks into the affects of concussions?) then keeping him around is just sending out the wrong message. 

it's shocking the Demott or Michael Hayes are still employed.

Yep. Speaking of PS Hayes, allegedly he made a racist comment to Mark Henry at a WrestleMania 24 party and is also allegedly well known for making similar comments in the past, plus if you analyse their "product", the WWE have & still do in-directly racist stuff or stereotypical stuff like Cryme Tyme, Slick, Akeem among others, plus more recently they've had Truth dress up as a confederate solider and lately he's been talking almost in Ebonics when he's on the mic or at the announcement table to the LOL's of the other announcers. Plus and almost forget it but even Vinny Mac came out with the N-Word to John Cena on a WWE PPV, in front of Booker T who then said his trademark "Tell me he did not just say that" line. McMahon maybe didn't say it with any malice (or so we can presume?) and apparently it was an in-joke between Vince & Book but it's still in very poor taste (if the audience hadn't seen the Harlem Heat promo to Hulk it would fly over most people's heads) and is again hypocritical as WWE are supposedly so pro-Black History. 

Edited by Really Big Shoe

• Paid Members

Yeah but the dojos are really more than anything just sicko frathouses full of borderline psychopaths with multiple complexes. Some of the dojo stories are impossible to explain to a non-fan. It's like Delta Tau Chi for blokes with tiny willies.

Edited by WWFChilli