"That's It, Feud's Over!"

Green

Savage beating Jake in 6minutes killed a major fued also watrior gettiing fired killed warrior vs Jake and taker

When you have a post match angle as fucking mental as Jake slapping Savage's missus around the match can last 6 minutes.

I know but I wanted a match bit less one sided,Jake 91-92 heel work was best ive ever seen

That wasn't about Jake being able to beat Taker though, that was all about Jake being so sick in the head even the UNDERTAKER thought he'd gone too far.

Jake was all about the psychological violence at that point.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
It's like the belt not being on the line during a Rock-Austin match at Mania though, I just think it would make the winner pointless and really hurt the feud.

Possibly. I suppose in keeping with the "its sport" suspension of disbelief, I never really minded it, since if WcW were a real sport with a real governing "championship committee" then its easily feasible that since Piper hadnt wrestled full time in donkeys years and basically waltzed in for the match with the Hulk with no wins in the company to speak of, he really didnt deserve a title shot yet.

If anything for me the non-title stip actually put who was winning into question - if it had been for the belt, I wouldn't have been that interested because it would be obvious Hogan would win as even WcW (at the time) weren't stupid enough to put the title on old one-hip. As it was, thinking "Piper might win so he earns a title shot later" and "Hogan might win and they do a big beatdown so Sting can save Piper" put some doubt in my mind. As opposed to SuperBrawl's title match, where there was no doubt at all.

• Paid Members

First thing that popped into my head was the Kurt Angle, Stephanie McMahon affair storyline. It was a brilliant storyline and seemed to be clearly heading towards Stephanie leaving Triple H for Angle, which would elevate Angle to the Main Event and set up some big money re-matches as babyface Triple H sought his revenge.

Then Steph kicked Kurt in the balls and Trips pinned him. The End.

Booker T tapping out clean to Kurt Angle and losing the World title a few weeks before Summerslam 2001 killed any interest I had in Booker's match with The Rock.

That's a good one, and far from the only time they did that during the Invasion angle. The other major one that springs to mind is the 'confrontation' between Taker and DDP at King of the Ring that year. After spending weeks building up the angle and the big reveal, Taker just battered him for 10 minutes straight, with DDP barely getting in so much as a sly dig. A really strange way to build someone coming into the company as a credible threat to one of your biggest stars.

First thing that popped into my head was the Kurt Angle, Stephanie McMahon affair storyline. It was a brilliant storyline and seemed to be clearly heading towards Stephanie leaving Triple H for Angle, which would elevate Angle to the Main Event and set up some big money re-matches as babyface Triple H sought his revenge.

But that was the actual end of the feud, wasn't it?

• Paid Members

But that was the actual end of the feud, wasn't it?

No for some reason then about a month later when Angle won the belt he took on Stephanie as an adviser. Ugh, sometimes the attitude era made fuck all sense sometimes.

As soon as Jericho started walking Steph's dog in the build-up to WM18 - turned him from Undisputed champ who beat Rock and Austin in one night... into Steph's lackey in a heart-beat. The instant that happened, there was no way he would be beating Triple H.

• Paid Members
As soon as Jericho started walking Steph's dog in the build-up to WM18 - turned him from Undisputed champ who beat Rock and Austin in one night... into Steph's lackey in a heart-beat. The instant that happened, there was no way he would be beating Triple H.

Let's be honest though, as soon as Triple H made that return in front of that mental Raw crowd, you knew he was winning the rumble and taking the belt in the WrestleMania main event- regardless of who it was against.

Let's be honest though, as soon as Triple H made that return in front of that mental Raw crowd, you knew he was winning the rumble and taking the belt in the WrestleMania main event- regardless of who it was against.

Agreed, but they could have built Jericho as a credible opponent, and not metaphorically chop his knackers off by having him walking a bloody dog!

The least they could have done is 'Pepper-steak'ed the mutt.

If anything for me the non-title stip actually put who was winning into question - if it had been for the belt, I wouldn't have been that interested because it would be obvious Hogan would win as even WcW (at the time) weren't stupid enough to put the title on old one-hip. As it was, thinking "Piper might win so he earns a title shot later" and "Hogan might win and they do a big beatdown so Sting can save Piper" put some doubt in my mind. As opposed to SuperBrawl's title match, where there was no doubt at all.

If you're referring to the Starrcade '96 match there's only one problem: in the storyline Piper HIMSELF came up with the contract, so it made no sense that, given he had to come up with the stipulations, the title wasn't on the line.

World-Heavyweight-Champion-Randy-Orton-vs-Christian.jpg

Christian's 5 day reign as champ in his feud with Orton. After that it didnt matter what they did, Christian was never a threat to the belt again.. Randy could just win it back on Smackdown anyway. Yet they feuded for 4 months after that.

It's like the belt not being on the line during a Rock-Austin match at Mania though, I just think it would make the winner pointless and really hurt the feud.

That reminds me, anytime there's a credible up and comer who's in a non-title match with the champion (i.e. Eddie vs Rock back in 2002) and the champion wins! I remember at the time if Eddie had won that match, he'd get a title match the next week. Why not let Eddie win, and then The Rock retains the week after, therefore not damaging the champion, but possibly elevating the challenger.

That wan't a feud as such, but it does annoy me at times.

The one that does match the OP's topic is when HBK destroyed Vader in a 6 man the month before he defended the title against him at Summerslam

• Paid Members
World-Heavyweight-Champion-Randy-Orton-vs-Christian.jpg

Christian's 5 day reign as champ in his feud with Orton. After that it didnt matter what they did, Christian was never a threat to the belt again.. Randy could just win it back on Smackdown anyway. Yet they feuded for 4 months after that.

Uch.

Personally I didn't buy Christian as a legit main eventer until after his heel turn and the climax of the Orton feud. He suits playing the cowardly heel so well and I'd much rather he be that than the painfully vanilla babyface he was before-hand.

Archived