"That's It, Feud's Over!"

Green

• Paid Members

I had the idea for this thread after watching this Edge promo during the Matt Hardy/Lita love triangle feud. It's a fantastic interview that captures Edge's character so perfectly, yet at the same time it completely destroyed what little was left of Matt's credibility after his infamous "I hope you die in a car accident!" promo the week before. From this point on it was clear to everyone that Edge was way out of Hardy's league and foreshadowed the incredible downward spiral (and expanding waistline) of Matt.

Can you think of any other moments like this where, during a feud, one participant has been presented as so dominant, or done/said something so perfectly, that it became clear that the feud was over and that you were looking at the real winner?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I had the idea for this thread after watching this Edge promo during the Matt Hardy/Lita love triangle feud. It's a fantastic interview that captures Edge's character so perfectly, yet at the same time it completely destroyed what little was left of Matt's credibility after his infamous "I hope you die in a car accident!" promo the week before. From this point on it was clear to everyone that Edge was way out of Hardy's league and foreshadowed the incredible downward spiral (and expanding waistline) of Matt.

Can you think of any other moments like this where, during a feud, one participant has been presented as so dominant, or done/said something so perfectly, that it became clear that the feud was over and that you were looking at the real winner?

Not exactly along the lines of what your looking for but I thought HBK telling HHH that he couldn't beat the undertaker last year was really strange, it obviously made sense from a storyline point of view but after that I went from 99% to 100% sure HHH was beat (I got caught up in the match though) that whole segment just made me think we might see another HBK/HHH or HBK/Undertaker match down the line. Unless Sting's chin shows up first.

• Paid Members

Not exactly along the lines of what your looking for but I thought HBK telling HHH that he couldn't beat the undertaker last year was really strange, it obviously made sense from a storyline point of view but after that I went from 99% to 100% sure HHH was beat (I got caught up in the match though) that whole segment just made me think we might see another HBK/HHH or HBK/Undertaker match down the line. Unless Sting's chin shows up first.

That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Don't be too confused by my late night ramblings.

• Paid Members

That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Don't be too confused by my late night ramblings.

Glad to hear it! Another thing that stands out is Piper-Hogan at Starrcade 96 where Piper won but apparently the title wasn't on the line. As ridiculous as that was it made their Superbrawl match "Piper in Alcatraz" completely pointless because surely anyone with logic would realise if they pulled such a weird finish at Starrcade that they weren''t willing to put the belt on Piper

• Paid Members

First thing coming into my head would be Austin's presenting the IC belt to The Rock in December 97 with the lines "I decided, Vince, that I ain't gonna wrestle, because I done whipped his ass once" and "I don't want it no more", as he hands it to The Rock. It didn't feel wrong at all, as Austin at that point had taken off and it was clear that he belonged at the apex of the upper tier and The Rock's character played it brilliantly, as though he really were the best and that Austin had forfeited it to the rightful champion.

• Paid Members
As ridiculous as that was it made their Superbrawl match "Piper in Alcatraz" completely pointless because surely anyone with logic would realise if they pulled such a weird finish at Starrcade that they weren''t willing to put the belt on Piper

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. There was nothing weird about the finish. Piper won clean with his sleeper, nothing strikes me as weird about that.

My favourite was

Only one winner here folks.

Kurt Angle beating Samoa Joe in their first match. I'm not too sure if this is along the lines of what you were looking for but for me, that feud should have been played out over a much longer period. Obviously they went on to have numerous other matches against one another but after Angle ended Joe's undefeated streak it immediately felt as though the feud between them had already peaked and it was downhill from there on. After the superb pull-apart brawls that they had, any victory over Angle after his streak had been ended just seemed like it would be little more than a consolation win for him.

• Paid Members
Savage beating Jake in 6minutes killed a major fued also watrior gettiing fired killed warrior vs Jake and taker

When you have a post match angle as fucking mental as Jake slapping Savage's missus around the match can last 6 minutes.

Savage beating Jake in 6minutes killed a major fued also watrior gettiing fired killed warrior vs Jake and taker

When you have a post match angle as fucking mental as Jake slapping Savage's missus around the match can last 6 minutes.

I know but I wanted a match bit less one sided,Jake 91-92 heel work was best ive ever seen

• Paid Members
As ridiculous as that was it made their Superbrawl match "Piper in Alcatraz" completely pointless because surely anyone with logic would realise if they pulled such a weird finish at Starrcade that they weren''t willing to put the belt on Piper

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. There was nothing weird about the finish. Piper won clean with his sleeper, nothing strikes me as weird about that.

My favourite was

Only one winner here folks.

It's like the belt not being on the line during a Rock-Austin match at Mania though, I just think it would make the winner pointless and really hurt the feud.

Archived