"That's It, Feud's Over!"

Green

That reminds me, anytime there's a credible up and comer who's in a non-title match with the champion (i.e. Eddie vs Rock back in 2002) and the champion wins! I remember at the time if Eddie had won that match, he'd get a title match the next week. Why not let Eddie win, and then The Rock retains the week after, therefore not damaging the champion, but possibly elevating the challenger.

So should champions lose every non-title match?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The one that does match the OP's topic is when HBK destroyed Vader in a 6 man the month before he defended the title against him at Summerslam

Vader pinned Shawn Michaels with his finish in the match setting up the SummerSlam bout. Shawn got his heat back after the match, but that was only to keep him strong for the match with Vader. Michaels did a lot of selfish shit during that period (including against Vader), that was basic wrestling storyline. The heel wins, the babyface gets his heat back and they fight at the PPV. They were still trying to establish Shawn as the man in the company at the time, so it was needed.

Booker T tapping out clean to Kurt Angle and losing the World title a few weeks before Summerslam 2001 killed any interest I had in Booker's match with The Rock.

That's a good one, and far from the only time they did that during the Invasion angle. The other major one that springs to mind is the 'confrontation' between Taker and DDP at King of the Ring that year. After spending weeks building up the angle and the big reveal, Taker just battered him for 10 minutes straight, with DDP barely getting in so much as a sly dig. A really strange way to build someone coming into the company as a credible threat to one of your biggest stars.

Sadly this was the start of Vince showing ALL WCW wrestlers were far inferior to his WWF/E guys :confused:

That reminds me, anytime there's a credible up and comer who's in a non-title match with the champion (i.e. Eddie vs Rock back in 2002) and the champion wins! I remember at the time if Eddie had won that match, he'd get a title match the next week. Why not let Eddie win, and then The Rock retains the week after, therefore not damaging the champion, but possibly elevating the challenger.

So should champions lose every non-title match?

No, but they shouldn't win them all either.

Another thing I don't like, is when someone who is at main event level feuds with the secondary title holder, so they make all the matches non-title, so the headliner can win. If they're going to do a feud like that, make it for the belt (hey, Tripper dropped down to IC level after winning the WWE title, so anyone should be able to!) Or, have the champ lose the belt beforehand or even as part of the feud (i.e. The Rock costing Undi the Hardcore belt)

The one that does match the OP's topic is when HBK destroyed Vader in a 6 man the month before he defended the title against him at Summerslam

Vader pinned Shawn Michaels with his finish in the match setting up the SummerSlam bout. Shawn got his heat back after the match, but that was only to keep him strong for the match with Vader. Michaels did a lot of selfish shit during that period (including against Vader), that was basic wrestling storyline. The heel wins, the babyface gets his heat back and they fight at the PPV. They were still trying to establish Shawn as the man in the company at the time, so it was needed.

Yeah, I understand that, but surely Vader going into SS loooking killer and having Shawns number would have been better, especially when he would then overcome the odds?

As you say, Shawn did a lot of selfish stuff back then, and I'm sure he'd treat the whole thing differently now. Heck, during his 2nd run, he made mid-carders look his equal when they had matches against him. Attitude wise, he was a lot better 2nd time around, but that's a whole different discussion!

Personally, I think WWE dropped the ball on Vader, but that's a whole other discussion too!

They should win the ones against midcarders, mind.

Agreed, back when it was the likes of Bubba Ray, Crash etc, of course the champ should win.

However, Eddie was already showing the signs of the main eventer he'd become a couple of years later at that stage. However, thinking back now, and probably destroying my own argument, I think he did job clean to benoit a couple of weeks later (I say clean, I think Brock stood on the stage and distracted him, but I take that as clean as he never touched him!)

Agreed, back when it was the likes of Bubba Ray, Crash etc, of course the champ should win.

However, Eddie was already showing the signs of the main eventer he'd become a couple of years later at that stage. However, thinking back now, and probably destroying my own argument, I think he did job clean to benoit a couple of weeks later (I say clean, I think Brock stood on the stage and distracted him, but I take that as clean as he never touched him!)

Well it was a tag match, Rock and Edge vs Benoit and Guerrero.

Well it was a tag match, Rock and Edge vs Benoit and Guerrero.

Sorry, I was working abroad back then, so only got to see the PPV's my brother sent out on DVD.

But even so, that made it even less likely for The Rock to job, as he could have had Edge do it!

Archived