Wrestlemania 10

Vice

Wrestlemania 10  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Having two matches of that calibre on one card makes Wrestlemania 10 such a treat. Usually, when I think of major shows, there's one stellar, stand-out moment or match that immediately comes to mind, with Mania 10 though it's always both Bret vs. Owen and Shawn vs. Razor.

The "official" WWE opinion (in montages, retrospectives, etc.) seems to give the edge to the ladder match, but I disagree. They're both terrific matches, but I think Bret vs. Owen is better and a note-perfect, pure wrestling match that holds up exceptionally well on repeat viewings.

Which do you think is the better match?

• Paid Members

Shawn and Razor for me. They are both 5 stars in my book but the ladder match was just unlike anything I'd seen before. Bret and Owen is a flawless wrestling match but the ladder match is a flawless piece of story telling with jaw dropping moments and the most genuine desire to win you'll see in any wrestling match.

Should add that it hasn't aged at all badly either. Perhaps it's just my ability to watch it and feel 14 years old again but to me, it still has great meaning and isn't soiled by the stuntfests that have followed it. It's still the best Ladder match ever by a million miles.

• Paid Members
Shawn Vs. Razor

Owen Vs Bret.

Postcount +

I went for Shawn v Razor. It has just had more of an impact on me as a wrestling fan than Owen v Bret did, which was an admittedly great match. It also helps that Razor was my favourite wrestler at that time, as well, and could do no wrong in my eyes. It also should be an object lesson to anyone doing a ladder match these days that NOT EVERY SPOT HAS TO INVOLVE THE FUCKING LADDER.

It's something for two classic matches to be on the same show and at such an important show, WrestleMania X. As a kid I preferred Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart and I still do to this day. For a long time Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart was my favourite match ever but that changed a few years ago to Bret Hart/Steve Austin at WrestleMania XIII (Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart would be second on that list). Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart is wrestling at it's best.

I'm curious to know what stopped Dave Meltzer giving it ****3/4.

I'd go with Owen v Bret, it was a great match, with a surprising outcome, did anyone at the time think that Owen would actually win?

I know Owen got a push, but I don't like the way he got buried with the nugget/Jason Sensation/Blue Blazer shite, especially as he stayed loyal to Vince, fuck knows I would have walked away when Bret was "screwed".

I've always thought Bret/Owen was and ages better. It's flawless and just a beautiful match with really great pacing, spots and moves for the time. Owen's leg work was awesome as was the innovative victory roll finish. I just love the pops from the crowd for stuff like the german suplex and tombstone, stuff WWF hadn't really seen in that form.

This is an interesting topic actually. Over the years I've kind of found that which of these two matches you prefer may have some connection with the type of wrestling you enjoy more, no gimmick's pure wrestling vs. more flashy stuff. Or maybe it's just Bret or Shawn fans, I dunno.

I've always been a bit adverse to how much praise the ladder match gets in comparison with Bret vs. Owen with them being on the same night.

I don't think Razor/HBK has aged well at all and that's the key for me. Owen vs. Bret is a terrific match no matter what, and will continue to be a classic match years down the line.

Agreed with this. Kind of. I wouldn't say that the ladder match has aged badly, it's just that it was very innovative for it's time. I think all of the great ladder matches since have kind of spoiled fans and has somewhat devalued the quality of this match. Fans who have grown up on TLC matches and Money In The Bank aren't going to think that this is any better than any of the more modern stuff. Bret/Owen is just a timeless wrestling match that still looks great today.

I remember in 2003 at the FWA Academy down in Portsmouth, I attended one of their weeklong camps with a whole host of whacky characters including one fella known only as 'Chico'.

He had long dark hair, wore a Hawaiian shirt, appeared to be of Indian or Turkish descent, had a thick Irish accent, said 'Hey, yo' a lot and would have a toothpick behind his ear at all times.

His 'life ambition' was to watch the WMX Ladder match between Razor and HBK [and losing a match by tapping out to a wrist lock, which he achieved in his recorded match at the end of the week].

Anyway, I seem to remember 'as a treat' Mark let us all watch the match one day and Chico was the happiest I think I have ever seen a person.

He was a funny character. He once turned up late to a training session, having gone missing, only to turn up looking dishevelled having apparently spent the night on a park bench. Questioning him about it he just said 'It was a bad noyt'.

...but I digress.

At the time, I preferred the Ladder match.

Now, I still think it's a brilliant example of how to construct a great ladder match without killing yourself with hundreds of insane stunts [plus, it actually told a story and wasn't just a bunch of spots] but, I prefer Bret v Owen.

I enjoy Bret V Owen more. The victory roll reversal was a thing of beauty, so unexpected.

The Ladder match was great as well though. I think it was Ric Flair who said Scott Hall's greatest claim to fame was being in the ring that night when Shawn Michaels wrestled a ladder. Always thought that was a bit harsh.

Archived