Wrestlemania 10

Vice

Wrestlemania 10  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Ladder match was great as well though. I think it was Ric Flair who said Scott Hall's greatest claim to fame was being in the ring that night when Shawn Michaels wrestled a ladder. Always thought that was a bit harsh.

It was very harsh. Whilst I don

• Paid Members
The Ladder match was great as well though. I think it was Ric Flair who said Scott Hall's greatest claim to fame was being in the ring that night when Shawn Michaels wrestled a ladder. Always thought that was a bit harsh.

Yeah, well Ric Flair can fuck off. I lost so much respect for that man after the last 1/3 of his massive shoot interview was him basically kissing Triple H and Shawn Michaels' arse. I'd shudder to think how many times he used the phrase 'Hunter and Shawn'.

• Paid Members

Bret and Owen for me. As much as I enjoyed Shawn's potrayal of desperation to prove he was the real Intercontinental Champion, and his spots were breathtaking, as a child it disappointed me that Shawn good to do all that cool stuff and Razor never really got to look good even though he was the "good guy." Nowadays that exact same performance would have turned Shawn baby, I feel. Also since becoming a sarcastic IRC tosser, I've grown to not really care about many matches where there is "grabbing something" or "escaping something" to win. If there isn't a proper pin or submission, I feel like no-one has really beaten anyone. I hate myself for feeling that way, but I do.

In comparison Bret and Owen is a good old fashioned rasslin' match with no gimmicks or shortcuts, great storytelling, and a strong emotional rollercoaster. As a Hitman fan growing up, I can't tell you how deflated I was when Owen pinned him clean as a sheet, but the fact I kept rewatching the match over and over for weeks tells you how good I thought it was, even then.

I know Owen got a push, but I don't like the way he got buried with the nugget/Jason Sensation/Blue Blazer shite, especially as he stayed loyal to Vince, fuck knows I would have walked away when Bret was "screwed".

He stayed because he wanted to earn as much money in as short amount of time as possible so he could retire as early as possible and spend time with his wife and kids. Bret asked after Owen (and Davey) getting work in WcW, but Vince made it clear to Bret that he would not let Owen out his deal. Financially speaking it would not be worth contesting the contract in court, so Bret persuaded Owen to stay for the good of his familys financial future. At least, that's how I remember it from Bret's book.

In hindsight at least the "shite" kept Owen on TV and over. That's no kind of burial compared to today, when you can be given no storyline or anything to work with and be relegated to Superstars so casuals forget you're even still working there.

• Paid Members

Owen VS Bret. It seems to have aged a little better, if only for the fact that at the time and for the years that followed, everyone talked about that ladder match when discussing Wrestlemania 10. But nowadays, Bret VS Owen is remembered just as fondly.

I was only 11 when the match happened therefore wasn't generally old enough to fully appreciate technical wrestling as I do now- but Bret used to captivate me with his technical ability. Definitely the first guy to really make me appreciate the 'art' of wrestling, going back to his match VS Mr Perfect. Even then I realised he was a bloody good wrestler (and not just because Gorilla Monsoon told me he was, because he also told me at Survivor Series 1990 that Tito Santana was 'one of the best', but I didn't believe him).

His match VS Owen was all kinds of brilliant. The finish was one of the biggest shocks to me back then- Bret was my favourite and I wanted him to win the title that night. Then Owen comes along and beats him clean! Brilliant finish to a brilliant match.

I loved the ladder match and still do, if it were any other Wrestlemania there's a good chance it would be the best match on the card. Mind you, the rest of the card was pretty shit really, wasn't it? I did like Savage VS Crush at the time, haven't seen it since it happened. It may well be poo.

I don't think Razor/HBK has aged well at all and that's the key for me. Owen vs. Bret is a terrific match no matter what, and will continue to be a classic match years down the line.

Agreed with this. Kind of. I wouldn't say that the ladder match has aged badly, it's just that it was very innovative for it's time. I think all of the great ladder matches since have kind of spoiled fans and has somewhat devalued the quality of this match. Fans who have grown up on TLC matches and Money In The Bank aren't going to think that this is any better than any of the more modern stuff. Bret/Owen is just a timeless wrestling match that still looks great today.

The thing is, my favourite ladder/TLC match ever had little to no innovation, and that was Rock/HHH at Summerslam 1998. What it had was pure drama. That's helped it to stand the test of time very well. HBK/Razor just didn't have that for me.

I voted for Owen vs Bret, although as a kid Razor vs Shawn was one of my favorites and watching Razor on top with both belts was an amazing moment (was sure back in the day that he actaully won both main belts, my brother had to disappoint me by letting me know it's only the IC belt... i guess all 10 year old hbk marks are cunts).

Archived