I hated you at first...

Max Power

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most recently it would be Bully Ray, I fastforwarded through is earliest segments as the bully but he really upped his game and carries himself as the man not to mess with. In late 2009 I began to take an interest in Batista after he turned on Rey and he became one of the main reasons for me to tune in to WWE despite thinking he was a pile of shit after his feud with JBL in 2005. If only he had got the chance to show more personality throughout his entire run as a maineventer we'd not feel so cheated when he left in 2010.

Cody Rhodes - I thought he was beyond shit before 2010 but the past 12 months he has really stepped it up. I suppose the problem was him being stuck with shit people.. yes DiBiase and Hardcore Holly. I thought Dashing Cody Rhodes was one of the best gimmicks of last year too and it built up a great feud between Rey/Rhodes which I've thought has been one of the best feuds of the WWE this year. I will admit he's managed to hide his lisp really well too. He's really shocked me to how better he's done than DiBiase as back in the days of Priceless/Legacy it appeared they were in the long term going to go forward with DiBiase.

Batista for sure.

I remember me and the missus laughing all the way through his first PPV match, against Kane, not only because it was bad but because Mrs Loki had pointed out how all of his features were crammed into the centre of his face like a bad photoshop. He continued to show nothing really until THAT series of segments with HHH and the rest is history.

The thing was, even then I was lukewarm on the big man, but he just... kept... getting... better. Every match he'd try something different, add a new move or spot, he was a sensationally hard worker. By the time of that last feud with Cena, he looked to me like the biggest and best star in the business since Goldberg.

It's a crying shame he got into wrestling so late, and that he's not on my tv any more.

The Ultimate Warrior. Seriously. When I was a kid everything was still real to me damnit we never had Sky, just videos and figures so I never saw the buildup and all the hype around him although I knew my mates liked him. The first time I saw Warrior was when he was being a bit of a mong towards Randy Savage who I fucking loved so I instantly hated him. I never really got him either, I didn't see what all the fuss was about- to me he was just some berk running about in make up- I was all over Martel, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Undertaker, Mr Perfect- guys who could either work like motherfuckers or had incredible gimmicks (which is either fairly clever or seriously snobbish for a 7 year old). Obviously I ended up loving the guy, he was never the greatest worker but I can always chuck one of his matches on and enjoy it.

This hasn't been a bad thread by any means, but haven't a lot of people missed the point of it? Most people seem to have done the "I thought you were shit, then I liked you" choice, whereas the OP asked for "I thought you were shit, but now I look back at that point I thought you were shit and think - hey, you're not so shit".

I'm pretty interested in peoples choices for what they like more in hindsight, that's the only reason I've bothered to be a big nerd and mention it.

Sheamus. Back in his old IWW days I thought he was pretty awful (yet knew he can reach the big time) but he improved a lot and I kinda love what he is doing in the last two years or so.

This. :thumbsup:

I thought he was boring as. Now he's one of my fav five, and nailed on with it.

Other:

The Mountie!

Fucking hated his guts as a kid. Thought he was shit too... but in fact, having taken time to rewatch, he was actually a highlight of the show.

Hulkster

I hated him as a kid as I viewed wrestling as sort of professional toy fighting and hated that he no sold. I also hated that he got such preferential treatment from the refs etc.

In retrospect his style of very very obvious changes in the flow of the match pretty much created the 'WWF style'. Also, he was a cultural icon, the Thunder in Paradise films are priceless and his grill is excellent.

Hogan knows best.

John Cena (mid 00's - 08.)

Like many, I couldn't stand his character throughout the mid 00's when he was initially given his mega push. However, I've recently been watching some DVDs of the time period (the two Wrestlemania's where he faced Michaels and Hunter) and the Elimination Chamber (05, 06?) where he lost the title to Edge straight after where he truly played his role perfectly. It's interesting looking back in hindsight at just how much heat he did get (read: One Night Stand 2006).

The Mountie!

Fucking hated his guts as a kid. Thought he was shit too... but in fact, having taken time to rewatch, he was actually a highlight of the show.

I was watching some Mountie promos the other day, and they were pretty rubbish but funny. I didn't remember him making his own zap noises with the cattle prod in interviews, but he did!

Kurt Angle bored me at first, but fuck-me, what a machine he grew to be... Especially before he became a ducked up junkie.

i agree with this one. thought he was shite at the time. Another one is mad man manson who i didnt get in IWW but lately his stuff has been brilliant

This hasn't been a bad thread by any means, but haven't a lot of people missed the point of it? Most people seem to have done the "I thought you were shit, then I liked you" choice, whereas the OP asked for "I thought you were shit, but now I look back at that point I thought you were shit and think - hey, you're not so shit".

I'm pretty interested in peoples choices for what they like more in hindsight, that's the only reason I've bothered to be a big nerd and mention it.

You're right there, actually. Nearly everyone has made the fuck-up of pretending it's an "who do you think has improved" thread.

Archived