I hated you at first...

Max Power

I've just been messing about watch Justin.tv and I came across some WWF from late 2001. It's just showed a recap of Undertaker's feud with The Hardys/Lita, playing his Big Evil character. And it was fucking brilliant. He was such a twat and played the character perfectly. He's just thrown Jeff Hardy off the stage and done the same to Lita (after no selling a kick in the knackers). However, at the time I hated him. I hated that he'd buried DDP earlier in the year, and made JR kiss Vince's arse. I thought the was a stupid old selfish bastard who wouldn't let go of the spotlight. But now, looking back, its class.

So, my question is, are there any wrestlers/feuds/characters who you thought were wank initially, but when you look back on them they're better than you actually thought?

Go.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I say this all the time but:

Dave Mastiff and Mark Haskins.

Moralez as Mastiff was known back then was just the fat one from Team Supreme that hung around with SJK and I don't think I ever enjoyed *anything* he did back then. I absolutely hated him with a burning fury.

And Haskins or Skins was just that Chav who spat at people - The stringy gob trail on the guard rail in front of my mates proved it - Talked smack to people on the internet and I can't remember that much about his wrestling skills.

But now I think both of them are two of England's finest wrestlers active today, Mastiff would make an awesome gaijin addition to the NOAH roster if ever called upon, and Haskins has signed with America's second largest wrestling promotion.

I don't know if I was blinded by rage in 06/07 during the 1PW Doncaster Dome glory days, but 08 marked a real turning point for the pair of them.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm currently up to May 2002 Raws, so I've just finished up the Triple H/Stephanie break up story. It's been pretty much the highlight of the show from a couple of weeks before the vow renewal, right through to the Triple Threat match just after Mania where Triple H sees her off.

At the time, I was 17, a mega workrate nerd and full of pissy nonsense about Jericho being buried. Also I was disappointed that super-worker HHH had so rapidly gone to the dogs upon his return, so the whole thing stunk. However, watching it again, the stuff has been gold. I've enjoyed watching Jericho (a performer who, with the exception of maybe one or two Shawn Michaels injections, I've come to absolutely hate over the years) being made a total skivvy and a third party to two people who can put on a show. The vow renewal service was absolutely fucking brilliant, and the triple threat match that ended the story with Stephanie actively trying to win the Undisputed Title and getting clattered all over the shop was really, really good.

I could quite happily never ever ever ever watch that abortion they put on at Wrestlemania ever again, but TV-wise, I've loved the angle. I actually now wish they'd booked that triple threat for the Mania main event instead, and Steph getting dragged kicking and screaming out of the WWE whilst HHH celebrated with his belts could have been a nice Mania moment.

• Paid Members

Rick Martel

I never really liked strike force that much as a kid, never really got to see a lot of them before the break up angle. Then after a spell in his blue trunks, he went pink and became the model. His character was horrible, i hated him and at the time i didnt realise it was just heat (it wasnt like i would FF the match or anything).

Clearly and obviously looking back, he was fucking brilliant, incredibly good wrestler (very underated IMO) and his gimmick was actually very good.

Sheamus. Back in his old IWW days I thought he was pretty awful (yet knew he can reach the big time) but he improved a lot and I kinda love what he is doing in the last two years or so.

totally agree on this, he has come on so much since going to the states

• Paid Members
CM Punk, hated his indy stuff but I dont think anyone will disagree with me saying he has improved hugley since then.

I didn't see the hype for a long time, and I still maintain that some of his ECW stuff was terrible.

Rick Martel

I never really liked strike force that much as a kid, never really got to see a lot of them before the break up angle. Then after a spell in his blue trunks, he went pink and became the model. His character was horrible, i hated him and at the time i didnt realise it was just heat (it wasnt like i would FF the match or anything).

Clearly and obviously looking back, he was fucking brilliant, incredibly good wrestler (very underated IMO) and his gimmick was actually very good.

Same here, and you can apply the same rational to Ted DiBiase and IRS. Both are now guys that will sell an old VHS to me.

• Paid Members

Vickie Guerrero. I was seriously pissed off when they kept giving her more and more TV time and even had the audacity to make her Smackdown GM. But for the last 2 and a half years she's been constantly entertaining and a serious heat magnet. The woman you love to hate!

Archived