Blast From the Past: WrestleXpress!~

IANdrewDiceClay

I remeber reading about this about a year or so after as I had had no exposure to the UK scene at the times of this going on. The 2003 thing was something called Wrestling X, which I believe had 2 or 3 similar people involved and was to be held at the doncaster dome. Of course that had loads of names "confirmed" but nothing materilaised. Not sure if tickets were sold.

I have watched the VHS of what Scott Conway ended up promoting through The Wrestling Alliance and it is still a good show for the time period and with a bit more promotion it could have had a really good attendance

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I had a ticket to this.

I had no knowledge of the UK scene at the time, and was just getting used to following various wrestling news etc on the internet. The show sounded a lot like the UCW "WrestleXplosion II" event the previous year in the same venue, which had caught my interest since it got massively rave reviews in Powerslam mag.

Aside from when me and my brother went on a coach trip to WWF "Insurrextion 2000", it would also be the first time I would have gone to the effort of staying overnight somewhere for the purposes of seeing a wrestling show.

Like I said, I wasn't particularly well up on following wrestling on the internet at the time, so most of my news about the show came from the WrestleXpress discussion boards and from the TALKsport radio show.

I was gutted when it was cancelled, and only managed to get some of my hotel and train money back. Thoroughly disheartened with the whole affair, I wasn't about to go to the effort of trying to get to the hastely rearranged Dagenham interpretation of the show (though did eventually get a copy on tape and it looked a decent event).

My attempts to get my show ticket refund took about 6 months to reach a conclusion... and it was this that actually led to me signing up here on the UKFF in early 2002.

I was at the show & would like to share some memories of the event:

1, Main Event was a truely fantastic ladder match between Jonny Storm & Jodie Fleisch

2, The "Front Row" was soooooo long that we were sat further away from the action than those sat at the back!

3, Dagenham had no tourist information centre & was rough..............very rough!

4, The Sandman threw his cane to the outside & a bloke literally dived & caught it in his hand. He brought the house down! It was one hell of a catch.

5, Nearly got in a fight at the bar with the UK Pitbulls. They tried to take the piss out of me & failed.

6, Skull Murphy tried to work a match without taking a bump, The relatively hardcore crowd soon got on his arse!

7, Steve Corino"s then girlfriend was massively fit!

8, First time i saw Alex Shane wrestle, First time i saw a balcony dive.

9, Talked to Horace Hogan in the car park.

10, Learned a valuable lesson: When travelling from the north, never travel to a show beyond London without booking a hotel in advance. It is a total nightmare!

11, Despite all the crap, Wrestlexpress somehow was quitea good show :thumbsup:

5, Nearly got in a fight at the bar with the UK Pitbulls. They tried to take the piss out of me & failed.

Explain further ...

I knew this would get asked :laugh: It was one of those moments when you say to yourself "Did i really just say that?" Then the room goes silent & the four walls zoom towards you, so there is no escape from whatever will be the reaction from your comment.

I was having a drink with two friends in the bar, during the interval when the UK Pitbulls walked in after having a tag match in the first half. I was wearing a black t-shirt that read "My favourite wrestler is Jonny Storm", The short conversation went something like this (bare in mind that all the punters were listening).

Pitbull (loudly) " Oh my God, your t-shirt is really really bad"

Me (loudly, about a millisecond later) "Not as bad as your match"! ( This is the point were the walls zoomed in ) Pitbull"s face went beetroot red & steam started to come out of his ears, at the same time my so called friends both took a step back for what i can only assume was to allow the Pitbulls an easier access to the person who publicly angered them? After what seemed like an eternity, But was probably a couple of seconds the second Pitbull (so far silent) shouted loudly "Cheers mate, thanks for the confidence booster" & started clapping me! (sarcastically).

This might not seem like much of a story, but if you were there it was obvious that Pitbull 1 would have been happier killing me! Which is what my two "friends" confirmed after they established that they were safe to carry on drinking. This is only one of many occasions over the years were i have rubbed wrestlers up the wrong way.

I remeber reading about this about a year or so after as I had had no exposure to the UK scene at the times of this going on. The 2003 thing was something called Wrestling X, which I believe had 2 or 3 similar people involved and was to be held at the doncaster dome. Of course that had loads of names "confirmed" but nothing materilaised. Not sure if tickets were sold.

It was called X Wrestling and you're right, it was a similar scenario where a first-time promoter advertised some big names and everyone raised eyebrows as a result, then the event never took place. I ran the website WrestlingX at the time, which was nothing to do with this failed show, and I was very sceptical about this show coming off. Can't remember the name of the guy behind it. I remember at the time Dann Read invited the promoter onto his radio show intending to ask him questions about whether the show was really going to happen, and he refused. Then he threatened Dann and myself with legal action. Happy days.

Explain further ...

I knew this would get asked :laugh: It was one of those moments when you say to yourself "Did i really just say that?" Then the room goes silent & the four walls zoom towards you, so there is no escape from whatever will be the reaction from your comment.

I was having a drink with two friends in the bar, during the interval when the UK Pitbulls walked in after having a tag match in the first half. I was wearing a black t-shirt that read "My favourite wrestler is Jonny Storm", The short conversation went something like this (bare in mind that all the punters were listening).

Pitbull (loudly) " Oh my God, your t-shirt is really really bad"

Me (loudly, about a millisecond later) "Not as bad as your match"! ( This is the point were the walls zoomed in ) Pitbull"s face went beetroot red & steam started to come out of his ears, at the same time my so called friends both took a step back for what i can only assume was to allow the Pitbulls an easier access to the person who publicly angered them? After what seemed like an eternity, But was probably a couple of seconds the second Pitbull (so far silent) shouted loudly "Cheers mate, thanks for the confidence booster" & started clapping me! (sarcastically).

This might not seem like much of a story, but if you were there it was obvious that Pitbull 1 would have been happier killing me! Which is what my two "friends" confirmed after they established that they were safe to carry on drinking. This is only one of many occasions over the years were i have rubbed wrestlers up the wrong way.

I think you may have created a bit of a situation for yourself there lol. From when I have met the Pitbulls they have a pretty dry sense of humour and prob only meant it as a joke. However respect for standing your ground agains two nasty looking fuckers.

Living in bournemouth I went to many of Scott Conways shows in his last couple of years and while one was excellent the rest were only usually ok to good and normally family-esque shows. When I watched wrestleexpress it always amazed me how much effort he must have put in to do this show than he normally needed to

• 1 year later...

When WrestleXpress was announced it sounded amazing as I'd always found it impossible to get tickets to WWE's bi-annual UK PPV. Furthermore I'm sure WWA had yet to arrive on these shores so the idea of seeing US stars seemed amazing, regardless of how slippery Messr Hewson appeared.Oddly I was really excited about seeing Vampiro as I was a big fan of his work through the 90's. To think 5 years later I'd spend a fortnight in his company and find him to be a total cockmuncher is amusing.

Am I right in recalling that the main angle of this show was going to be a four-way struggle for authority between the promoter, Eric Bischoff, Jimmy Hart and Sonny Onoo? I hope so, as that's brilliantly mental!

• Paid Members

Court Bauer's H2 Wrestling was very WrestleXpress. I'd start a thread about it but I think its only me and Rob Naylor on the whole internet that are obsessed by it. Glow sticks handed to everyone in the arena, Oscar style red carpet entrances on the way to the building, six sided rings, fans around the ring, Gary Hart as a Don King character, trampoline ring aprons and every bit of indy wank you can think of. H2 sounded like wrestling on acid.The best part of H2 was that it signed a TV deal with a company that later came out to didn't even exist. Cracking.

• Paid Members

Court Bauer's H2 Wrestling was very WrestleXpress. I'd start a thread about it but I think its only me and Rob Naylor on the whole internet that are obsessed by it.

I read loads about that in PS. As soon as I read Teddy Hart was involved I soured on the idea somewhat though.

Archived