UFC 137: 'Penn vs Diaz' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Answer me this, when Diaz beat Penn and started shouting shit in the cage, cut to GSP doing the 'im so scared' thing outside the cage, tell me you didn't get excited at that point

It didn't get me excited. Chael Sonnen did it better last month and he looks like the kind of guy who could beat the opponent he's mouths off too; Diaz doesn't, so his lame smack talk did nothing to enhance anything. It'll be a good fight, no doubt, but I didn't need that shit at the end to make me think that.

• Paid Members
Answer me this, when Diaz beat Penn and started shouting shit in the cage, cut to GSP doing the 'im so scared' thing outside the cage, tell me you didn't get excited at that point

It didn't get me excited. Chael Sonnen did it better last month and he looks like the kind of guy who could beat the opponent he's mouths off too; Diaz doesn't, so his lame smack talk did nothing to enhance anything. It'll be a good fight, no doubt, but I didn't need that shit at the end to make me think that.

Are you fucking serious? Thats about as pro wrestling a statement that you could have made.

Diaz doesn't look the part? What difference does that make? What the fuck does that even mean?

Are you fucking serious? Thats about as pro wrestling a statement that you could have made.

Diaz doesn't look the part? What difference does that make? What the fuck does that even mean?

Honestly, I know Diaz is not a bodybuilder, but if he started on me I would shit myself.

If you said Kenny Florian or Mighty Mouse dont come across as someone who would "beat the oppenents mouths of" you may have a point, but Diaz is actually quite intimidating.

• Paid Members

Haha I haven't been on in a few days and this thread has got to 19 fucking pages. Interesting debate but to be honest, I'll leave all that to the fuckers in charge. As long as they can keep up the steady flow of awesome cards like they've had this year I'm happy with their matchmaking procedures.

The worst thing about these manufactured rivalries is when they do fight and end up doing the we-respect-each-other-now hug and then put each other over on the mic. When Kos gave his spiel in Montreal about how he didn't really hate GSP/Canada, it was just so embarrassing.

Rampage is the worst for it. Any time he opens his mouth pre-fight these days, you just know from experience that he's talking out of his arse. He could genuinely dislike someone and you wouldn't believe it. He's the boy that cried bad blood.

Yeah agreed. I know the build up to most fights is embellished partly to increase interest but I don't like them outright coming out after the fight to happily say it was all bullshit.

Oh, I'll tune in. It's the fight we should have been getting at the weekend. I think it'll be a classic.

It all works out in the end. If we'd got GSP vs Diaz at the weekend we might never have seen Diaz vs Penn. That fight was one of the best fights of the year and it wasn't meant to happen. They didn't even really want to fight each other, the fight just fell in our lap and it delivered big time and we still get GSP vs Diaz now anyway.....if Diaz shows up to the press shit ;)

The only negative I can think of is Condit's situation. I know he wasn't originally getting the title shot and it was a bonus but to be given the shot and have it taken away, I feel bad for him.

• Paid Members
Haha I haven't been on in a few days and this thread has got to 19 fucking pages. Interesting debate but to be honest, I'll leave all that to the fuckers in charge. As long as they can keep up the steady flow of awesome cards like they've had this year I'm happy with their matchmaking procedures.

The worst thing about these manufactured rivalries is when they do fight and end up doing the we-respect-each-other-now hug and then put each other over on the mic. When Kos gave his spiel in Montreal about how he didn't really hate GSP/Canada, it was just so embarrassing.

Rampage is the worst for it. Any time he opens his mouth pre-fight these days, you just know from experience that he's talking out of his arse. He could genuinely dislike someone and you wouldn't believe it. He's the boy that cried bad blood.

Yeah agreed. I know the build up to most fights is embellished partly to increase interest but I don't like them outright coming out after the fight to happily say it was all bullshit.

Oh, I'll tune in. It's the fight we should have been getting at the weekend. I think it'll be a classic.

It all works out in the end. If we'd got GSP vs Diaz at the weekend we might never have seen Diaz vs Penn. That fight was one of the best fights of the year and it wasn't meant to happen. They didn't even really want to fight each other, the fight just fell in our lap and it delivered big time and we still get GSP vs Diaz now anyway.....if Diaz shows up to the press shit ;)

The only negative I can think of is Condit's situation. I know he wasn't originally getting the title shot and it was a bonus but to be given the shot and have it taken away, I feel bad for him.

yeh, this is the reason why this whole situation is causing any debate.

It does suck for Carlos, but the UFC wasn't counting on GSP falling out injured, if he hadn't this whole thing would have gone off without a problem and we'd probably still be setting up GSP/Diaz for Superbowl weekend (considering they both won Saturday).

The UFC was put into an awkward situation and in my opinion they've come out in a stronger position than they ever were going in. A couple of hasty reactions and decisions are to blame, but you can't really blame the UFC or Dana White, at the end of the day they need to promote their shows - imagine if the UFC had never set up Diaz-Penn, the main event for 137 would have ended up being Kongo-Mitrione! - If you're someone that complains with what the UFC presents to us several times in a single month, i think you're being pretty fn petty or you have a vendetta against the promotion. They do an amazing job.

Have to say every bit of the evidence points away from david's theory.

UFC has been getting steadily more popular ever since dana took it over. With dana using pretty much the same formula right through. The new fans he brought in weren't always into mma, they're not all ex wrestling fans who see the parallels with wrestling. The people he's sold ufc too are the general public, and you're always going to do better giving them what they want than giving them what's quantifiable through a ranking system.

This is the fight they want, for the most part, this is the fight they'll get. That doesn't show a lack of professionalism, that shows professionalism.

Fucking hell. Why do people on the forum take things so literally? When I said he doesn't look like he can beat GSP, why did you assume I meant physique rather than the form I have seen him have in the past few fights. And don't act like there isn't a difference between Chael's actions and Nick's. It's night and day.

Have to say every bit of the evidence points away from david's theory.

UFC has been getting steadily more popular ever since dana took it over. With dana using pretty much the same formula right through. The new fans he brought in weren't always into mma, they're not all ex wrestling fans who see the parallels with wrestling. The people he's sold ufc too are the general public, and you're always going to do better giving them what they want than giving them what's quantifiable through a ranking system.

This is the fight they want, for the most part, this is the fight they'll get. That doesn't show a lack of professionalism, that shows professionalism.

I guess we'll see. I think there'll be some major changes for the UFC in the way they do things as their stint with FOX starts. Things have worked great up until this point, but in the major leagues they'll have to sort some of their shit out.

Included in that is the way their President acts and speaks in public.

Have to say I think you're confusing what you want and what the american public will want there old boy.

It's actually my time spent in North America that suggests to me that sports fans will want stats, which means they'll be looking for rankings. The Americans fucking love their stats and rankings, don't they? Look at what they talk about during a soccer game!

I pretty much believe we'll have some sort of UFC ranking system in place by this time next year. I just think it'll happen as they'll eventually have to fall into line with other sports.

Archived