Fashion

JohnnyChimpo

Do you care about the latest fashion?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...or the need to boast about ones cushty job as a sound engineer when ones self produced music is toss, no?

Struck a nerve did I Chachi? You can dish it out, but you sure can't take it.

...or the need to boast about ones cushty job as a sound engineer when ones self produced music is toss, no?

You can dish it out, but you sure can't take it.
Ha; you can talk mate!
I can and do, Chest, not sure of your point. It's a forum - insults should be water off a duck's back.

• Moderators

You are not very good at taking insults / criticisms / things generally not going your way. Oh sure.. it's all fine if it's within your group of friends, or within whatever this unwritten predetermined framework you've got in your head is. You'll round on people for not being able to take a joke all day if it suits you. But as soon as it falls outside that, the internets become serious business, and you really seem to be continuously oblivious to when you're acting like a big baby.

Naah, I'm good with it. For example, you seem to have taken a dislike to me recently, but I still think you're one of the best posters on here and enjoy reading what you have to say. I enjoy a good cut and thrust, and feel free to take a pop at me about anything you like. I'm fairly short, my head is rather round, I wear glasses and have geeky hobbies, I'm incredibly white and middle-class and have had less success as a music sensation than Babylon Zoo. If I didn't enjoy the spirited debates we have around here, I wouldn't post, but the internet is NEVER serious business unless you happen to not have a life away from it, I suppose.Of course, things rarely don't go my way because I'm so fucking smart. And handsome.

Struck a nerve did I Chachi? You can dish it out, but you sure can't take it.
Woah woah woah.... Let's put things into perspective here. I had the same haircut for 6 years, who's to say I won't have this one for another 6? I choose to style my appearance on things I personally find aesthetically pleasing. I like to colour coordinate, I like certain brands. Generally if I buy an item of clothing I will still like it 5 years later.Fashion is fickle. Personally that doesn't do it for me. I don't need to dress a certain way for 2 months at a time to be secure. And it is an insecurity issue. People want to feel loved, to be popular. It's in our DNA, its only naturally. Personally I find my own self fulfilment through the relationships I have with people and the things I say and do. If wearing a new wardrobe every few weeks to appease those who you admire does it for you, then happy days.Maybe at your next film club meeting you could get your boyfriend to put your points across more eloquently, as is usually the case.

• Moderators

Naah, I'm good with it. For example, you seem to have taken a dislike to me recently, but I still think you're one of the best posters on here and enjoy reading what you have to say. I enjoy a good cut and thrust, and feel free to take a pop at me about anything you like. I'm fairly short, my head is rather round, I wear glasses and have geeky hobbies, I'm incredibly white and middle-class and have had less success as a music sensation than Babylon Zoo. If I didn't enjoy the spirited debates we have around here, I wouldn't post, but the internet is NEVER serious business unless you happen to not have a life away from it, I suppose.Of course, things rarely don't go my way because I'm so fucking smart. And handsome.

Nah, I like you, despite your propensity to act like a baby.The bolded line above put me in mind of this brilliant post from John Atkins in the paido forum (originally in response to Carbomb), and only really serves to enforce my point about you needing things to be on your terms -

mr_burns.png"Now, Mr. Rude, I just want you to know I'm a good sport, so if you want to make fun of my legendary love of cashews, you have at it!"

• Moderators

Woah woah woah.... Let's put things into perspective here. I had the same haircut for 6 years, who's to say I won't have this one for another 6? I choose to style my appearance on things I personally find aesthetically pleasing. I like to colour coordinate, I like certain brands. Generally if I buy an item of clothing I will still like it 5 years later.Fashion is fickle. Personally that doesn't do it for me. I don't need to dress a certain way for 2 months at a time to be secure. And it is an insecurity issue. People want to feel loved, to be popular. It's in our DNA, its only naturally. Personally I find my own self fulfilment through the relationships I have with people and the things I say and do. If wearing a new wardrobe every few weeks to appease those who you admire does it for you, then happy days.Maybe at your next film club meeting you could get your boyfriend to put your points across more eloquently, as is usually the case.

That's a decent point. Maybe it's worth separating "fashion conscious" from "style conscious". If we did that by your definition then I'd say I'm the latter but not the former..But what if it's not necessarily a security issue? What if you just really like clothes and do get bored that quickly? I can think of anecdotal examples to prove that there are people who do this just for their own entertainment and satisfaction..

Fashion is for the insecure.

Nope.
Yeah it is, if you're basing what you wear on what's in, rather than what you like, you're just a bit of a sheep who doesn't have the confidence to pick something they look without worrying about whether or not it's in.

Woah woah woah.... Let's put things into perspective here. I had the same haircut for 6 years, who's to say I won't have this one for another 6? I choose to style my appearance on things I personally find aesthetically pleasing. I like to colour coordinate, I like certain brands. Generally if I buy an item of clothing I will still like it 5 years later.

I'm exactly the same way, I've had a grade 3 for a decade, but I don't necessarily think that means that everyone who's into fashion is insecure as you do! As Chest says, for many people it's a hobby, something to collect like music or films. I'm glad you find fulfilment in holding up a sign in an Asda carpark, and aren't insecure about the fact that you have ears to park a bike behind, so let's not assume everyone who is into trainers just wants to be loved.

Maybe it's worth separating "fashion conscious" from "style conscious".

Yeah, that's what I was going for with differentiating "stylish" from "fashionable" earlier. I think there are always certain fashion trends that appeal to people who desperately want to fit in, and it's easy to avoid them. On the other hand, coveting a new jacket or a nice new style in shirt is fun.

• Moderators

Then again, I think a divide on those lines may be unecessarily pejorative of the "fashion conscious" label. It's not something I follow, personally, but I can totally see why people get into knowing what is on the cutting edge of fashion.It's something that moves incredibly quickly and it's quite interesting to see if you take a case study of some particular styles and trends you see on the catwalks and how they filter down to what you see in the streets. It's more contemporary and meaningful as a way of holding a mirror up to society than a lot of art can be these days.

Archived