Fashion

JohnnyChimpo

Do you care about the latest fashion?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just let the teenage girl in you out man, its for the best

Isn't this just further evidence of the embarrassment and insecurity that many men feel towards any trait that might be remotely construed as 'feminine'? Which in itself reveals an innate fear of being branded gay. If someone is interested in clothes, the first thing that comes to mind for you is 'girl', which is of course only your sidestep from 'homosexual' for fear of being branded a bigot.Fashion is certainly not confined to the minds of teenage girl. Women of most ages are obsessive about clothes, shoes especially, and a good proportion of men are now following suit (no pun intended). Men's fashion is huge business now compared to even ten or twenty years ago, and sales of male beauty and grooming products are going through the roof. It's nothing to be ashamed of; if anything, it's just part of the cyclical nature of humanity. If we go back through history we see periods where men, especially aristocratic men were ardent believers in looking stylish and taking care of themselves. It then has gradually moved to the 'strong, silent' alpha male conservative type, who put no stock in anything to do with clothes except for looking 'smart and presentable'. From perhaps the 60s onwards the trends towards clothing attitudes started heading in the other direction. The difference between now and other eras is the greater wealth of the traditionally poorer echelons of society, combined with the cheapness of mass production. This, combined with the cultural trend towards male grooming, has led to the current boom in fashion for men.

• Moderators

I'm a fan of clothes and like buying them. If something comes in fashion then obviously it'll come to my attention as I'll see it everywhere and if I like it or think it suits me then I'll get on board that trend. I've never worn skinny jeans, but I think (and have had confirmed from comments from friends and work colleagues) that it's fairly obvious that I am fashion conscious.I spent my teenage years in ill-fitted black band t-shirts and it is a shitty look, btw.So umm.. I think the question is wrong. Or at least the options. There's a difference between being fashionable/fashion conscious and just wearing whatever is currently popular.

• Paid Members

I wear what I want. Always have. I've tried things that "aren't me" every so often over the years, some have looked good and stuck, others have made me look gonky so they've been abandoned. Hats, for example. I never seem to look good in a hat. In fact, the only time I think I looked good in a hat was at a works christmas party and they had the white background set up for group photo's. In amongst the props was a cheap plastic Blues Brothers wannabe hat. You can't tell it's a cheap bit of plastic in the picture, and it actually looks alright. I think if I tried to follow a trend, my friends would think I'd been replaced by an alien replica.

The thing is, no offence to RIP Diva Sunny, but from what I've seen his choice of clothes isn't really 'fashionable' per se, in terms of him being particularly stylish - he seems to dress like most people do these days. Tight jeans, hoodies and low cut tops have been worn for like the last five years by lot's of people (and increasingly in the last 2 or 3 years by people who have no real interest in the sort of music that the look originated from). So in one sense it's fashionable in that a lot of people dress like it, but to say it's stylish - that's a different matter entirely.I think the cost thing is interesting as well. Certainly there is something to be said for wearing a really nice item of clothing that you paid a fair bit of cash for, but alternatively you can find bargains for little. We've all seen the sort of people who spend three figures on shirts and jeans and who look like they've just come out of a Littlewoods calender.At the end of the day, if you feel comfortable in what you wear, then wear it. For every person who thinks someone wearing a band t-shirt with a pair of baggy jeans and converse is a bad look, there are millions of people rocking that look. Ditto tight trousers, brogues, and a shirt. Ditto the type who wear casual gear. I'll admit, perhaps this whole post was just an excuse for me to write 'ditto' many times.

The thing is, no offence to RIP Diva Sunny, but from what I've seen his choice of clothes isn't really 'fashionable' per se, in terms of him being particularly stylish - he seems to dress like most people do these days.

How can you judge someone's look by only one picture? There seems to be an assumption that I walk around in low neck t-shirts and skinny jeans every single day. I only own two or three low neck t-shirts out of the 60-80 I have. I haven't worn one for months. I staked no claim to originality on it in any case, so that's a mute point.I'm just as likely to be accesorising a double breasted military jacket with a polka dot scarf and a classic pair of Chelsea Boots as I am to be wearing hoodies over flesh-showing lightweight T's.

• Moderators

I'm just as likely to be accesorising a double breasted military jacket with a polka dot scarf and a classic pair of Chelsea Boots as I am to be wearing hoodies over flesh-showing lightweight T's.

See - the problem isn't the clothes you wear, it's the way you talk about them. You do sound like a douchebag when you talk about fashion.In other news, I saw a guy on Saturday with a t-shirt v-necked so low that I could see his nipple. He looked utterly ridiculous.

moot.

I write a long post and all you can muster is a pointless response about a typo. Pedantry.

See - the problem isn't the clothes you wear, it's the way you talk about them. You do sound like a douchebag when you talk about fashion.

Why, because I reference 'polka dot scarfs' or 'double breasted jackets'? These aren't exactly high brow elitist fashion terms. If you believe people who mention such items are inevitably douchebags, then you should spend some time looking into your own subconscious prejudices and what has caused them. Do you believe men shouldn't mention such things? Do you think men who talk about fashion or clothes in a way that goes above 'nice jacket' or 'good pair of jeans' are an insult to you gender's masculinity? Why do you feel this way?

The thing is, no offence to RIP Diva Sunny, but from what I've seen his choice of clothes isn't really 'fashionable' per se, in terms of him being particularly stylish - he seems to dress like most people do these days.

How can you judge someone's look by only one picture? There seems to be an assumption that I walk around in low neck t-shirts and skinny jeans every single day. I only own two or three low neck t-shirts out of the 60-80 I have. I haven't worn one for months. I staked no claim to originality on it in any case, so that's a mute point.I'm just as likely to be accesorising a double breasted military jacket with a polka dot scarf and a classic pair of Chelsea Boots as I am to be wearing hoodies over flesh-showing lightweight T's.
You'd team a military jacket with a polka dot scarf eh? What about Ice white shoes, ice white socks with Navy cadet stripes, t-shirt with chevron action flash?

• Paid Members

moot.

I write a long post and all you can muster is a pointless response about a typo. Pedantry.

Do you think men who talk about fashion or clothes in a way that goes above 'nice jacket' or 'good pair of jeans' are an insult to you gender's masculinity?

your

• Paid Members

moot.

I don't care about your post, as I wasn't having a discussion with you to begin with. I just find it amusing when people go around using words they don't understand. And that wasn't a typo you made- it was the completely wrong word. This is a typo: "teh".

Archived