Triple H radio interview comments

King Pitcos

They just don't compare though. They should and both seem equally crap written down. "Poop" is just the lowest of the low though. It's so very Hannah Montana.

Plus the people saying them were completely different.

Rock was a super-brash, smack-talking jerk. He got over loads of ridiculous phrases, it was all tongue-in-cheek and was part of his appeal. Also, most of his stuff was established when he was a heel, and just carried over to his babyface runs.

Cena is presented as as super-tough, inflated version of your average Joe American. He's a stand-up guy who loves America and sticks to his word, etc... Saying stuff like 'poopy' and pulling silly faces doesn't fit with what he should be. He's infinitely better when playing it straight.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'll admit to cheering along to the Rock's "Last night the Rock whipped some ROO-DY-POO *audience*CANDY ASS*audience* in Sheffield" sing along at the Newcastle Arena years ago. That shit was over in the North East. There he was, a little Ian_Hitmanhart with his balls half dropped and a shit haircut. I remember that night cheering for the Boss Man as well. I originated the "cheer for the heels" gimmick.

I remember that night cheering for the Boss Man as well. I originated the "cheer for the heels" gimmick.

Well when Bossman did something heelish, he did it like he was deliberately doing something to entertain. When other baddies did something heelish, they thought they were doing evil things to be shocking.

• Paid Members

Cornette made a good point on his recent shoot. He said when the product is hot the bad stuff doesn't look nearly as bad (like some of The Rock's catchphrases or shite like "Suck It" and a lot of that WWF 98/99 midcard rubbish) but if the product is cold, then even stuff that is decent can look bad and the bad stuff comes across like the worst thing you've ever watched.

It's like this Nash/CM Punk thing. If the product was 'hot' I doubt we'd mind the inside stuff and Nash's crap delivery because the audience would react to anything.

Plus the people saying them were completely different.

Rock was a super-brash, smack-talking jerk. He got over loads of ridiculous phrases, it was all tongue-in-cheek and was part of his appeal. Also, most of his stuff was established when he was a heel, and just carried over to his babyface runs.

Cena is presented as as super-tough, inflated version of your average Joe American. He's a stand-up guy who loves America and sticks to his word, etc... Saying stuff like 'poopy' and pulling silly faces doesn't fit with what he should be. He's infinitely better when playing it straight.

The difference is that Rock says "roody poo" like he's deliberately using childish language to condescend someone. Cena says "poop" like he's trying to use offensive language to be shocking.

These two points exactly. And as regards the 'rose-tinted glasses' angle, I can see that with people who were kids back then, but a lot of the core audience who went wild for the Rock and his catchphrases in the Attitude era were in their late teens and early 20s at the time, and had already gone through their 'growing out of wrestling' phase before coming back to it when it became legitimately entertaining and relevant to them again. Speaking personally, I was in my late teens when I first became a fan of the Rock, and already found the sort of wrestling I loved when I was younger a bit cringeworthy. If it seems dated now, it's probably because it was of its time - Howard Stern, Jerry Springer and some early South Park seems equally dated these days.

The difference is the more immature aspects of Cena's character and the stuff he comes out with has always been divisive and more often than not alienating to everyone outside a very specific, young demographic. It's not 'of its time' or in any way relevant to contemporary pop culture, it's just aimed at children.

The Rock robbed "Rooty Poo" off Iceman King Parsons, I was led to believe. It's more a Jive term than a sweary "Poopy" one. He should have rented use of "Fruitbooty" off Stevie Ray.

Yeah, Bravo used to show old WCCW and Memphis stuff on some very hit and miss comp show that aired most days at random times. There was a fair bit of Iceman Parsons and he was always using "rooty-poo" is his promos. Early 90s stuff I believe, certainly long before Rock. I assume he nicked it from someone he worked with when he was Flex Cavana or whatever in Memphis.

• Paid Members
He had jabroni off Sheiky Baby as well, didn't he?

Sheiky used it before Rocky, this much is true, but it seems that it was already wrestling parlance. I've heard Bruno Sammartino say about some name wrestler disparaging a jobber "And then he called him that awful word, you know, called him a jabroni". It seems to have been around for decades, presumably as part of the carny talk.

Somewhat related, this artist said he knew that his samples would go straight to the bin when the contact details he was given from Titan Towers included Kay Fabe and Joe Bronie. That may indicate that it's an old-time insider term.

Sheiky used it before Rocky, this much is true, but it seems that it was already wrestling parlance. I've heard Bruno Sammartino say about some name wrestler disparaging a jobber "And then he called him that awful word, you know, called him a jabroni". It seems to have been around for decades, presumably as part of the carny talk.

Somewhat related, this artist said he knew that his samples would go straight to the bin when the contact details he was given from Titan Towers included Kay Fabe and Joe Bronie. That may indicate that it's an old-time insider term.

It's definitely an old-time insider term, I remember everyone (well, it must have been in PowerSlam) saying that at the time. But the only wrestler I've seen say it all the time since everyone's done shoot interviews is Sheik.

Archived