The NFL thread

iMPACt!

Hi folks

Going to try and get into the NFL this season.

I've been playing the Madden demo on the PS3 to try and learn the rules but there are still lots of stuff that I don't get or need a decent explanation.

Is there anywhere that has an NFL for dummies kind of guide?

Thanks!

• Paid Members
Hi folks

Going to try and get into the NFL this season.

I've been playing the Madden demo on the PS3 to try and learn the rules but there are still lots of stuff that I don't get or need a decent explanation.

Is there anywhere that has an NFL for dummies kind of guide?

Thanks!

You seem to be in the same position I was in a few years ago. My step-brother tried to get me into it as he played American football at amateur level in secondary school, but just seemed to have the most complicated game mechanics ever.

also looking to get into the NFL proper after repeated years of watching the superbowl and swearing I would the problem is I can't get sky sports anybody know what channel gets it this year?

i think channel 4 show some Monday night games!

Can't wait until Thursday when the season starts!

I've only seen the highlights, but it looks like it was an amazing game! 108yd return, and big scores from both the Saints and Packers makes for a pretty good opener.

This Randall Cobb rookie looks like he could be huge, if he plays like that consistently. Fair enough, it was only one game, but the future is bright for him. Add in Aaron Rodgers throwing seriously well, and this is going to be a good season for the Packers.

What are everyone's thoughts on the choice to throw the ball on 4th and inches, in the 3rd? Could things have been different had they kicked a FG?

Edited by Beckham's Right Foot

If Ingram could have got in as the clock ran down it would have been even better.

I was surprised that Payton called Ingram's number with the game on the line. I was looking for a play fake. The Packers pretty much sold out to stop a run up the gut.

What are everyone's thoughts on the choice to throw the ball on 4th and inches, in the 3rd? Could things have been different had they kicked a FG?

I'm usually very conservative when it comes to going for it on fourth down but in the context of the game, New Orleans were right to go for it. I certainly wouldn't have called a pass play though. Brees circling backwards reminded me of Bob Griese getting sacked by Bob Lilly back in Super Bowl VI on that play!

This Randall Cobb rookie looks like he could be huge, if he plays like that consistently. Fair enough, it was only one game, but the future is bright for him. Add in Aaron Rodgers throwing seriously well, and this is going to be a good season for the Packers.

I'm not expected a Gale Sayers-esque rookie season from Cobb but I think we'll be seeing that crazy spin/flip 108 yard kickoff return for a touchdown once or twice more on highlight packages before the year's over!

• Moderators

The best way to get into it is Fantasy probably. I was lucky enoiugh to get into NFL in the Imlach days with Channel 4 giving lots of time to it on weekends and midweek with live games on Sunday nights, but it's not the same now. But I got into Basbeall 7 years back through playing fantasy baseball. It makes you appreciate the nuances of the game, and will be a far better education in the sport than Kevin Cadle trying not to fall asleep after 7pm, Cecil Martin shouting, and Danny Kelly off TalkShite and Mike Carlson having less than no chemistry at 3am on a monday morning on channel 4.