Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

1 minute ago, FLips said:

Never thought I’d see the day. 

None of us did, Flips, none of us did. Ump Hate are gutted that the man who gave them so much content over the years is gone. Thoughts and prayers 

• 2 weeks later...

London Series this weekend! Anyone going?

Im going on the Sunday, with the first pitch being thrown by forum favourite Rob McElhenny (hat tip to @SuperBacon for the spelling!) I’ll be cheering on the Mets because fuck the Yankees and fuck Bryce Harper. 

I always enjoy seeing how many fans each team has by shirts and caps. Unsurprisingly I don’t see many White Sox ones but when we spot each other, we always wave a despairing wave to each other, acknowledging our poor choices in life. It’s also good to have a lot of Americans coming over for it, every time I’ve been near a couple of families who make a holiday out of it, but got accessible tickets this year so probably won’t this time!

Hope you enjoy the ballgame!

• Paid Members

I’d love to have went but living up North it inexplicably costs me more to get to the ballgame that it would have for a ticket.

11 minutes ago, FLips said:

I’d love to have went but living up North it inexplicably costs me more to get to the ballgame that it would have for a ticket.

Yeah, it’s way cheaper (and better for my girlfriend) for me to drive down from Manchester. It’s daft but I like to think it’s part of an authentic day for a ballgame given how far and long they drive for in the states! 

• Paid Members

Skipped this one mainly for money reasons, but I also have American Football work in Herts on Sunday. May do next year depending on the tie.

1 minute ago, FLips said:

How was the London Series, @Keith Houchen?

Also hell of a game last night eh?

What a way to hit 50 for the season already, granted it’s 50 losses but still!  Yeah Sox can’t close a door, it’s like they get nosebleeds when they get in front!

London Series was amazing. What I loved seeing was how the infield move about so much depending on where the ball is hit. You don’t see that on the TV.

As expected there were hardly any White Sox jerseys, I was wearing my City Connect one, but every time a Cubbies fan saw me they’d cheer and say “Hey Southside!” Did see a few Mariners tops and thought of you! Phillies and Mets fans were great  loads of Chase Utley jerseys!

The atmosphere for that ninth inning was up there with any sporting event I’ve been to. Absolutely electric! I’m sure you’ve all seen it but American fans are going nuts for how the ending was called over here. 

Now for a moan. Spoilered because it’s a lot of words and about disability

Spoiler

I appreciate a lot of the staff are volunteering and those that aren’t don’t get a great wage. We were in the accessible seats and knew which entrance to use. So we go through the entrance and ask how to get to the block. A staff member pointed us to the staircase that went up three flights, I use a walking stick and my girlfriend uses two. I asked if there was a lift and he didn’t think there was. Some time later we made it up the stairs and stopped to rest. 

Our block was 213, so I could work out where abouts it would be. I asked another staff member the quickest way to it, he said he didn’t know. I said “That arrow says 210-215 so is it that way?”  “Yeah probably”

Every block was signposted except ours, but obviously it was between 212 and 214, so I go through 212 and ask the guy where our seats were, he said he didn’t know as it isn’t his block, and to go and speak to his colleague next block along. So I get to the guy and he said this is 214 so ask that guy. I said I just asked him and he sent us to you. Bear in mind we had a 2 mile walk to the stadium from the car park and had to climb loads of stairs at this point, my girlfriend broke down and said she can’t physically walk any further. 

So the guy said to just sit here (gesturing to two empty seats in the disabled/accessible section) but my girlfriend said what if we are taking seats from someone who hasn’t arrived yet, so the guy said to wait there while he finds our actual seats. A few minutes later he had moved people out of our seats and we finally took our seats

A few minutes later a guy who looked as if he was employed by the stadium came over to apologise for the mix up and told us where the accessibility toilets were and said how they are by the lift we got up. “There’s a lift???”

Reader, there was a lift. 

After the game had finished we waited to get the lift. This was one of the few lifts that went up to the second level where we were, all the others stop at the first. Given it was the accessibility section a lot of people were needing the lift. The first one took a load down and we were at the front for the next with a family that had a lad who was a wheelchair user. The lift doors opened and it was full of catering staff with equipment. They’d have got on at floor one (the bit where all the lifts go) and told us they were going to the basement and to wait for the next one. A few minutes later the beep sounded and the lift door opened and of course it was full of more catering staff and equipment! Some of us who could said bollocks and squeezed in alongside the catering trays and trolleys, much to the chagrin of the staff. When we got out at ground, there was someone from catering waiting to get on with a pallet! My heart went out to the wheelchair users waiting to get the lift. Yeah it’s only the disabled, not like they pay full price for tickets anyway. 

Getting back to the car was a nightmare too. The road we walked down was a straight line from Westfield to the stadium but for some reason they’d closed it off. I asked them where the accessibility route was to get to car park  C and essentially there wasn’t one. The only provision was cutting through a car park and using their lift so you didn’t have to walk up stairs. Sadly in the car park a woman in a motorised wheelchair had trouble getting over a kerb and her chair cut out. She said that the path that was closed off was open yesterday. I understand how it’s safety related and thousands of people walking down there would be an issue but to have no provision for people with mobility issues is shocking. At one point a steward said it’s only about two minutes further. I asked if that’s for someone who can walk. He apologised and said he hates this part of his job but there’s nothing he could do. It isn’t his fault and I thanked him for his help. They’re just trying to help everyone get home. 

Eventually, about half hour later, we were the other side of the initial barrier. Why they couldn’t just let people with mobility issues through is what I’ll be asking in my email to them. Once we were in Westfield they were great and directed us to the car, even opening roped off areas to shorten the journey. 

Still, having an hour added to your journey back to the car when you’ve already got mobility issues because a 200 yard pedestrianised row of shops is closed off is a bit rum. I totally get the safety aspect but to have no provision for the disabled in 2024 really exemplified how little the disabled community are regarded  

Westfield car park is ace. They have red and green lights over each space to indicate if they’re taken or not. A brilliant, innovative and simple design that helps so much. 

Overall a fantastic day. Shame there isn’t one next year but I’m hoping they take Bryce Harpers suggestion and bring 4 teams over for a round robin over two weeks at different venues!

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

In a dance as old as time. 

Not often as a Mariners fan we can approach the last few innings behind in the score and feel optimistic about it.

13 minutes ago, FLips said:

Not often as a Mariners fan we can approach the last few innings behind in the score and feel optimistic about it.

The Sox announcers pulled up a stat saying Sox are 2-9 in the last 11 games where they’ve had a lead of 2 or more. 

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The Sox announcers pulled up a stat saying Sox are 2-9 in the last 11 games where they’ve had a lead of 2 or more. 

That’s grim.

I saw them on the White Sox post game show playing the funeral march and laying face down on the floor like Charlie Brown.