11 years ago today...

JNLister

• Paid Members

...was the first time, in the board's current incarnation, that we did the SummerSlam 92 anniversary thread. Since then we've covered:

The Bulldog's gonna win, whether he wants to or not.

The special ticket line for top-price front row seats that turned out to be the front row of the upper tier.

The tickets had a photo of Hart Foundation vs Bolshevieks on the front row.

The card bore no relation to ongoing US programs (Flair-Savage, Hart-Michaels, Shango-Warrior, Undertaker-Berzerker, Bulldog-RepoMan)

The Bushwhackers/Duggan-Nastys/Mounty, Santana-Shango and Berzerker-Tatanka matches aired on Prime Time. Repo Man-Crush was on the US PPV but not on Sky Sports because they took a break midway through for Richard Keys to hype up the new Premiership football.

There was a legends presentation on the show with Larry Hennig, Angelo Poffo and the just-back-from-hiatus after dodgy allegations Pat Patterson.

But surely there's some new memories, debate or trivia to add?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Repo Man-Crush was on the US PPV but not on Sky Sports because they took a break midway through for Richard Keys to hype up the new Premiership football.

I bet they really fucking regret that now. I remember watching Sport on Friday with the Late and Great Helen Rollason and a fantastic montage about Micky Quinn banging them in for Coventry about a fortnight into the season set to "the Mighty Quinn" Manfred Mann style. He must have weighed about 9 ton by that point. Superb.

• Paid Members

Fuck 11 years. My memories of Wembley go back 20 years to watching England schoolboys vs Holland in the Smiths Crisps Challenge Cup. 0-0, no extra time. "Shared the trophy." What bollocks. Even the fucking charity shield goes to penalties.

ANYWAY my favourite SummerSlam '92 nostalgia is the two awesome sets of trading cards they released, the black ones to hype up the show, the yellow ones which came after which featured shots from the show itself. I was especially fond of the black ones which featured a photo from previous SummerSlams with the results on the back, although I was a little confused on SummerSlam '90's card which had a photo of Mr Perfect vs Texas Tornado where they seemed to have replaced Tornado's head with a bush. Ah, youthful confusion.

• Moderators

We bought The Sun in our house with the Western Mail.

Considering The Sun and Atari were sponsoring WWF stuff on Sky Movies+ along with a bizarre overdubbed Tom Zenk promo getting us all to phone some Wrestleline (Which I probably did the Leisure Centre "Put 10p in after they pick up" trick on, I must owe Fin "Seth Armstrong" Martin a shitload), it's suprising that that the Mirror were doing a tie in.

• Paid Members

I used to do that down the bowling alley in Roker. It was one of those "put your money in when you want to speak" phones. Little did they know I had nothing to say to Fin Martin. He was doing all the talking, and I was happy to hear it. Not to be out done, I did waste more money than I care to imagine on the WrestleFest machine. I was spending more than I was accumulating, so I got a taste of how Flair lives his life and can see the appeal of living on the wild side. I went to a mates birthday party at the bowling alley as a kid, and spent most of the time on the WrestleFest arcade and pissing about on the phone trying to find out whether Hole In One Darsow was about to win the TV title on Saturday Night. I must have come across as a right ignorant cunt. But you miss those days as a fan dont you?

Damn you Lister !!!!

I only ever start about 3 topics on here a year and this particular topic I have started every year for the past few years. Way to steal my thunder fella ;)

Anyhoo, yeah Summerslam 92 was awesome for me for 3 reasons:

1) Seeing Bulldog win the title

2) Seeing Savage (my favourite of all time) live.

3) Meeting DI Burnside from the Bill (he was sat behind us)

I'll be back next year Lister to start this thread up again, mark my words, bwa ha ha ha ha <evil laugh> <disappears in cloud of black smoke>

Never knew Bulldog was feuding with Repo Man. That would be quite the step down as Repo was jobbing to everyone by then.

What was up with the Bossman? He was already back on TV by then. The Nailz/Virgil segment was quite funny though thanks to Virgils pumped up promo when he had to want it and was 2 legit 2 quit.

Such a weird lineup with no top heels. Unreal how it turned out so well. They should at least have given Flair a match earlier in the night v Piper or something though.

• Paid Members
Damn you Lister !!!!

I only ever start about 3 topics on here a year and this particular topic I have started every year for the past few years. Way to steal my thunder fella ;)

Sorry dude. You can have the big 2-0.

• Paid Members
First I've heard of that. Any more details on this? Thanks!

Given it was Hennig and Poffo, I assume it was just an elaborate version of "bring your dad to work day." The Patterson stuff was a minor surprise as it was the first confirmation he was back in the company after resigning over the sex scandal, though it's questionable whether he actually stopped having any input. Given Ultimate Warrior had a great match, it's hard to believe Patterson wasn't already back at work in advance of the show.

• Paid Members

On the US house shows, Nailz-Bossman was already running. Tag-wise they were doing Disasters-Money Inc and LOD-Beverleys.

In case you've ever wanted to see the opening of the show filmed on a camcorder pointed at a TV and with the original music overdubbed, here you go.

And if you wanted to see a music video of the entire PPV, apparantly put together in tribute to the director work on TNA Impact, fill your boots.

Other trivia: The day the tickets went on sale, BT supposedly said it was the most phone calls (25,000) ever to the same number at the same time.

There was talk at the time of a Flair-Slaughter match on the show, though I don't know how reliable that would have been given the Observer > Wrestlecall > Bloke who phoned Wrestlecall > My mate storyline.

The fanzine I wrote for at the time (Spiked Piledriver) sold six subscriptions outside the show, but never produced another issue. Unlike Nic Higton, we refunded people.

Jim Duggan flirted outrageously with Lorraine Kelly on TV-AM.

The Daily Mirror described Warrior as a cross between Darth Vader and Tom Jones.

The video screens were pretty much useless until sunset.

Nigel McGuiness was in the crowd. Any other wrestlers?

Archived