2011 UKFF UK50 - RESULTS THREAD

Big Benny HG

I miss Luke Phoenix.

On that note, and something I only thought about last night, all four of the top 4 were involved in the same match in the NOAH dark match 6-man tag that saw El Ligero, Bubblegum and Luke Phoenix beat Zack Sabre Jnr, Dave Moralez and Mark Haskins.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No. 2 - Zack Sabre Jr

Score: 497 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 14

2010 ranking: 5th

(2009=5th; 2008= 10th; 2007=50th; 2006=NL; 2005=NL)

zacko.jpg

24-year old native of the Isle of Sheppey reaches his highest ever UKFF UK50 ranking in his fifth appearance, but misses out on the top spot. Originally trained through the NWA UK Hammerlock system by the late "Sledgehammer" Andre Baker and Jon Ryan, Zack employs a strikes-and-submission style which captures the attention of the audience and draws them into the story he is telling in minute detail. Continued and consistent strong performances for IPW:UK, Premier Promotions, Triple-X Wrestling, Premier British Wrestling and others in the UK saw him called up to Pro Wrestling NOAH, where he has now been on tour since July 2011. Zack also appears in Germany for WXW and GSW, and in April and May embarked on a tour of the United States which took in Chikara, EVOLVE, CZW, HWA and more.

Zack's appearances as half of the LDRS of the New School with Marty Scurll (which has taken in IPW:UK, WXW, FWA, 1PW and elsewhere) was covered in extensive detail in Marty's own UKFF UK50 write-up at #5 above, so there is little point repeating it here.

Coventry-based Triple-X Wrestling had been the promotion in which the name Zack Sabre Jr had first caught the attention of many. After being screwed out of the chance to become the first 'official' Triple-X Wrestling Champion way back in May 2009, Zack embarked on a long road back to challenge the champion, and the man who wronged him, Adam Shame. By the time TXW "X-Seven" came around in July 2010, Zack been battling his way through Shame's cohorts for over a year to finally be named the number one contender. At this show, Sabre Jr and Shame were allowed to name each other's opponents and match type for the night. Zack's winning ways continued with a win over Shame's Tartan Army colleague Damien O'Connor, in a Lumber Jock match (heel wrestlers surrounding the ring, dressed in ginger wigs and caps). Quite ironically, the rather less serious "Zack Sabre Senior" had made a rare public appearance earlier in the same night, coaching one of the ridiculously repackaged rookies in the NXT parody, "NXXXT". Anyway, the show ended in stark contrast to all of that silliness, with Zack and Shame going to war in vicious, heated, intense brawl which took the entire locker room to (eventually) separate. The huge title match nearly a year-and-a-half in the making took place in the headline slot of "Destination XXX" in September. Again, in perfect contrast to some of the japes and capers provided by the rest of the roster earlier n the show, this match turned deadly serious and was one of the most dramatically enthralling, emotionally-supercharged story-driven bouts of 2010. Zack won a legitimate British Match of the Year contender by finally getting the big win he deserved in front of an adoring audience that had seen him grow in front of their eyes over the past 4 years.

Sabre Jr's mastery of technical mat wrestling is a perfect fit for the tradition British style of Premier Promotions, which runs in Hertfordshire and the south coast and still uses rounds and "two falls, two submissions or a knockout to decide a winner". There, Zack has fought fellow Hammerlock guy Paul Tracey, Wade Fitzgerald, Karl Atlas, Kris Kay, Jonny Storm, James Danmar, Jon Ryan, Tommy End, UK Dominator, Andy Simmonz, Zulu Prince and Lee Burbridge.

Over in Germany's WXW, Zack had beaten Stevie Douglas for the World Lightweight Title, adding it to his own World Heavyweight Title, to create the WXW Unified World Title. In July 2010, Zack was chosen for the promotion's debut of it's "Ambition" series, a one-night tournament with a more realistic, worked-MMA style. Zack went out in the first round to US star TJ Perkins. While this was going on, Sabre was also involved in a series against Big Van Walter for his Unified World Title. Zack retained his belt in being disqualified against Walter in July, but the big man got his revenge when the pair squared off in a 6-man tag in September. A title rematch between the pair on the October show ended with Walter taking the belt. After beating CZW's Masada as part of the Philadelphia promotion's German event in November, Zack beat ROH's Eddie Edwards on the "10th Anniversary Show" in December to qualify for the 2011 "16 Carat Gold" tournament. There, Zack beat Colt Cabana in the first round on Night One, but fell to another ROH guy in Davey Richards in the quarter final the next day, in a match that comes highly recommended.

Much of Zack' year back in this country has also involved him taking on top names from around the world in showcase singles bouts. At IPW:UK's "6th Anniversary Show" in August 2010, Zack pulled double duty in his LDRS tag match and also facing Pro Wrestling NOAH veteran Yoshinobu Kanemaru for the GHC Junior Heavyweight Championship in a singles bout. Zack didn't win what was to be a great match, but firmly established himself as a top UK name. The following month, back over in Germany, Zack beat Dragon Gate veteran Masaaki Mochizuki as part of the Japanese group's 2010 European tour. In March, it was US indy star Sami Callihan that Zack fought, down in Kent for IPW:UK. NWA UK Hammerlock then returned in May 2011 for a memorial show dedicated to Andre Baker, and Zack was brought back with all the focus placed firmly on him as he faced NJPW's IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship calibre Irishman Prince Devitt.

Earlier in May, Zack had been announced as the key UK involvement in Pro Wrestling NOAH's 2011 "European Navigation", featuring on all 3 nights in some mouth-watering singles collisions. On the first night in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire, Zack faced Kensuke Sasaki-protege Katsuhiko Nakajima in a thrilling battle. The next night in Wolverhampton, it was NOAH's top junior heavyweight star KENTA who provided the opposition in what turned out to be one of the best matches of the entire weekend, and possibly Zack's biggest career match to that point. The tour crossed to Germany for Night Three, where Sabre was this time matched with the spectacular Taiji Ishimori. Directly following this series of shows, it was announced that Zack would be travelling to Japan in July, since he had been invited on an extended tour with NOAH. Indeed, he would be part of the annual NTV Junior Heavyweight Tag League, as well as appearing on each of the promotion's other shows whilst he was out there.

What did the UKFF think?

"Amazing matches at the NOAH UK events. Expanded to both America and Japan this year. Technical brilliance. ARM BAR~"

"His match with KENTA may go down as the top one I'll see live with a British worker in for a very long time. Guy's always on fire no matter where he's competing, pulled a great match out of Adam Shame when finally capturing the TXW Heavyweight belt last year"

"Fact Zack has been picked up by NOAH says it all"

"An absolute pleasure to watch in the ring, everything flows so naturally and it's no wonder the rest of the world want him. Must be the next Doug"

"Held his own completely with the NOAH boys and has deservedly earned a tour over there. Only disappointment was his match with Devitt, not as good as expecting but maybe that was my fault for building it up too much in my mind"

"Consistent awesome performances with some of the most devastating looking kicks in the biz"

"Good he's breaking into other countries because he's constantly excellent in the ring"

"Do I really have to explain this one?"

"Stiff little cunt :) , but great wrestler. Glad he's started to workout"

"Has improved so much since the first time I saw him, consistently has great matches"

"I've been very lucky to have seen Zack down in IPW as he really seems to enjoy himself there, but when I heard he was going to face Prince Devitt at Hammerlock I think I nearly creamed myself. It was a classic. I've been a fan of Zack for a few years as he did the rounds up in Scotland, I've been watching him on Youtube and was so happy for him when he and Devitt squared off. I think he'll do so well in Japan"

"A real breakout year for Zack and it was brilliant to see part of it at NOAH in May 2011. He was fantastic over the weekend and involved in two brilliant matches. Didn't look at all out of place and looked a star then and has rightly been rewarded since"

"I've never been a huge Sabre fan but he had a decent match with KENTA at NOAH UK and showed something there that I hadn't seen before. Combine that with an improved physique and he gets into my list"

"Not generally my cup of tea but his NOAH matches have turned me round on him somewhat. He will probably win this but I think he is top 5 at best"

"Has genuine potential to become a worldwide superstar one day. Zack has the right look, is multi-dimensional in terms of his wrestling style and seems determined to only get better and better. An awful lot of experience for such a young talent"

"Initially I wasn't a big fan of his work but some of the technical matches I've seen him in have been outstanding. He's evolved his character and now has an athletic look going. Well done on the NOAH gig for him too"

"Consistently involved in the most exciting match on any card I've watched this year"

"I only saw Zack twice in the time-span for eligibility, but those two matches blew me away and he lived up to the hype. A phenomenal young wrestler who loves what he does"

"Between July 2010 and June 2011, I have seen Zack in some extraordinary matches. An engrossing GHC Jr Heavyweight Title match against Yoshinobu Kanemaru, followed by a master class in high-octane tag team wrestling with Marty Scurll against PAC and Haskins that very same night. Three fabulous tag team matches with Scurll against The All Star's that were the epitome of quality British tag team wrestling, the second match being my favourite match of 2010 to include English based talent only. They followed their third match against The All Star's with a victory over then PWG Tag Team Champions, El Generico and Paul London, once again that same night, in yet another tremendous tag team encounter as The LDR's solified themselves and IPW:UK as *the* place to be for tag team wrestling. In 2011 I got to see the beginning of The LDR's vs Cole/O'Reilly series that would continue into two more countries, and then Zack compete on the English dates of NOAH's European tour, not only getting to face two of the world's best Jnr Heavyweight Wrestlers in Katsuhiko Nakajima and KENTA, but also getting to hold his own and look like he belonged in there with him. So much so that Zack would earn himself a three month stay in Japan shortly after these events, and just outside this year's voting eligibility. After already seeing the guy receive a GHC Jnr Title shot, lose and win the IPW:UK Tag Team Title's, defeat the reigning PWG Tag Team Champions, and take on Japan's best, how could he top all that? What match could I see him in last of the years voting period that would equal if not top some of these accomplishments? The last match I saw Zack in during this time period was against then IWGP Jnr Heavyweight Champion, Prince Devitt. Both of them were there to celebrate the life of and honour their trainer, Andre Baker, and the two tore the house down in a tightly packed match that wouldn't have looked out of place put against some of Devitt's best defences of his Title. Devitt is in many ways what Zack would aspire to be in his career - A guy he went to Japan, trained there, and became a full time member of that companys roster, eventually becoming their Champion and seen as a true ace of the promotion. I can only hope that Zack is able to walk a similiar path and his current stay in Japan for NOAH are the beginnings of that."

"Seems to be able to mix it up with anyone and put on a good match both in a tag and in singles. The highlights for me were most of the IPW shows in the eligibility period (LDRs vs cole and O reilly, ldrs vs generic and London, zack vs sammi calihan). Think he steals the show in his LDRs matches, with a unique brand of charisma that makes him ever-watchable"

"Not the best look at the moment, but still looks athletic NOT SHITARSE!. Really great technical wrestler and always an enjoyable watch. Big things in the future for Zack"

"He a very good wrestler with excellent storytelling and strong style erm style. I had him as no.1 last year but he hasn't been as impressive in Premier Promotions (think he half arsed it a little), but still is a good wrestler and great to watch"

"Would probably have been higher if I was lucky enough to have seen more of him. Limited viewings of stuff he has done in Dragon Gate UK and in Scotland but it's ALLLLL good"

"What a year! Took KENTA to a whole other level for me, always great to watch in ring"

• Paid Members

No. 1 - El Ligero

Score: 549 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 15

2010 ranking: 4th

(2009=3rd; 2008=2nd; 2007=6th; 2006=22nd; 2005=42nd)

ligero.jpg

Doug Williams, Bubblegum, Martin Stone and now El Ligero. He's made the UKFF UK50 in all 7 years it has been running and been a Top 10 ranked wrestler for 5th consecutive years. He's finished 4th, 3rd and 2nd, but now, in 2011, El Ligero finally reaches that number one spot. In a year in which he also received more individual 1st place votes than any other performer, the native of Los Sancho, erm, Leeds completes yet another year as possibly the busiest and in demand wrestler in the entire country. Indeed, the masked superhero, who is probably the very best in-ring story-teller on the circuit, has wowed audiences of all kinds, from age 6 to 60 and beyond, in any position on the card, including headline runs as the top babyface in several places. As well as featuring for virtually every wrestling promotion across the north of England, Ligs also tours with All Star Wresting and the FWA, has appeared in Scotland for PBW and SWA and even wrestled in Spain and Belgium over the course of the 2011 UKFF UK50 period. Indeed, after all the rounds of voting, El Ligero emerges a worthy winner.

In Teesside's 3 Count Wrestling, El Ligero reigned as the Triple Crown Champion after unifying the Heavyweight, British and Lord of the Ring championships earlier in 2010. Successful consecutive main event defences over Lance Thunder, Liam Thomson, Dan Evans, ROH's Eddie Edwards and Thunder again meant that he was still 'the man' in the organisation when Martin Kirby won the "Free For All" rumble to earn a title shot. The career rivals were therefore matched in the top contest of the "7th Anniversary Show" in Billingham this past May. Kirby had turned his back on 3CW to join forces with the invading 3 Count Mafia in winning the rumble, and so Ligero had to fight off the attempted interference of Kirby's 3CM buddies throughout a gripping encounter. The odds became too much for even Ligero to cope with, however, as Cameron Kraze was revealed as yet another new recruit to the Mafia, and his interjection which finally cost Ligero his gold. 3CW hasn't run since, so Ligero has yet to get his revenge.

Over the Pennines in Wigan-based Grand Pro Wrestling, the luchador was one of 4 men vying for the vacant Heavyweight Championship, but was eliminated at the semi-final stage of the subsequent tournament by rough-and-ready Dutchman Mark Kodiak in August 2010. At the following month's "Friday Night Thriller IV", Ligero's victory over the transformed "Jack Toxic" stole the show and was the catalyst for the now "Jack Gallagher" shooting right to the top in the promotion. From there, Ligs became involved in Joey Hayes' battle against the evil Masterplan stable. Ligero fought alongside babyface heroes Joey, "100% WELSH BEEF" Dylan Roberts and Martin Kirby against various combinations of Masterplan representatives in tag bouts in October, November, March and April, building a huge rivalry with MP member and former 'Hubba Bubba Lucha' tag partner Bubblegum in the process. Indeed, the pair tore the house down when they fought as the final 2 in a legitimately thrilling conclusion of the main event elimination tag at "Only The Strong Survive 2011". The interference of Bubblegum's personal bodyguard Jason Logan prevented Ligero from coming out with the win, but the feud continued and the pair were set for a one-on-one decider at "Battlefield" the following month. Ligero instead beat replacement MP member Cameron Kraze when 'Gum was unable to appear, but the delayed match finally took place at the "Heroes and Villains" event in June. Again taking main event billing, the pair assembled another scorcher, this time with Ligero seeing off his enemy with 2 of his patented C4L springboard tornado DDTs. "C4L" apparently means "Crazy 4 Ligero", in case you were wondering...

Staying in Lancashire, and Ligero continued to be received and presented as one of the top stars for Morecambe's XWA, where he was locked in a revival of his bitter feud with "The Bollywood Dream" RJ Singh over the British Flyweight Championship. Singh had downed Ligero for the belt earlier in 2010, but the horned wonder got his revenge, with a little help from the distracting Tom Lambert, to snatch the title back in a Ladder match at "Vendetta" in July 2010. The warring pair were elevated to the main event for the next show, as Ligero and Singh teamed with fellow mortal enemies Johnny Phere and Alex Shane respectively. Ligero and Phere lost, kicking off a wild show-closing angle. Ligero's 2011 in the promotion has seen him defend his Flyweight gold over Jack Gallagher, and team with Joey Hayes to face the so-called "Blackpool Bum Boys" of Axl Rage and JD Sassoon.

Of course, this is just a small sample of El Ligero's actions over the 2011 period. In West Yorkshire's Dynamic Pro Wrestling, he challenged champion Cameron Kraze in a 3-way main event with CJ Banks, and formed a team with his former rival Bingo Ballance which went to the final of the Tag Team Title tournament, only to lose out to Martin Kirby and Mad Man Manson. In Hull's New Generation Wrestling, he has fought Nathan Cruz, Gallagher, Scott Adams, Dara Diablo, Colossus, Bam Bam Barton and SC Supreme. He was a main eventer for West Midlands-based Phoenix Pro Wrestling, including two reportedly cracking bouts against "Wonderkid" Jonny Storm. He reigns as the North East Wrestling Society Champion.

Finally, because I have to wrap this up at some point, Ligero's All Star/Superslam Wrestling run has seen him square off against CJ Banks, Joey Hayes, Dave Mastiff, Paul Malen, Joseph Conners, Mark Haskins, Colossus, Nathan Cruz, Joe Legend, Dean Allmark, Mikey Whiplash, Robbie Dynamite, Chad Collyer and probably more............... as well as forming teams with Osaka Pro star Shadow Phoenix and Miseria for feature tag bouts.

What did the UKFF think?

"Really enjoying his luchador gimmick and some of the moves he puts on in his matches"

"Put on two amazing matches with Jonny Storm at Phoenix Pro Wrestling for the PPW Championship"

"Hardest working wrestler in the UK in my opinion, just has skill and grace when he's inside the ring, and shows no signs of slowing up"

"His gimmick is soo good, that when he goes out and just wrestles kids still cheer"

"Fantastic babyface"

"Super hero to children, so over wherever he goes and backs up with being arguably the best British luchador"

"Always consistent, his work in the ring is fantastic and truly is a crowd favourite"

"Maybe not hitting the same heights as he did last year, but still a true workhorse of the Britwres scene. His part the main event of the GPW event with the Survivor Series matches was brilliant"

"Absolutely solid in everything he does. Never ever seen a bad Ligero match. Technically, the best in the country in my opinion"

"Often imitated, the Mexican Sensation has been excellent in FWA, XWA and NEWS and knowing he is on the card is enough to make me know at least one match will definately be entertaining"

"So polished and refined, this guy is truly great at what he does"

"How this guy hasn't won the top spot is beyond me. Knowing him on a personal level, his dedication to professional wrestling is flawless. Hard worker, every match he wrestles is solid and entertaining, and he recently represented the UK in Barcelona in what I was told was an incredible performance"

"Continues to be one of the top babyfaces in the country"

"Always invokes emotion, the story he and Kirby told in the NEWS British Championship match was subtle yet exhilarating and the crowd reactions showed they felt the same, even if they didn

• Paid Members

Ladies and gentlemen, I present your 2011 UKFF UK50:1 El Ligero (549 points)2 Zack Sabre Jr (497 points)3 Dave Mastiff (493 points)4 Mark Haskins (452 points)5 Marty Scurll (418 points)6 Stixx (392 points)7 Martin Kirby (379 points)8 Rockstar Spud (374 points)9 James Mason (311 points)10 Johnny Moss (294 points)11 Kris Travis (285 points)12 Joel Redman (279 points)13 Mikey Whiplash (278 points)14 Joey Hayes (274 points)15 Jack Gallagher (268 points)16 Mad Man Manson (256 points)17 Lionheart (250 points)18 CJ Banks (248 points)19 Noam Dar (242 points)20 Nathan Cruz (222 points)21 T-Bone (219 points)22 RJ Singh (196 points)23 Jonny Storm (188 points)24 Sha Samuels (179 points)25 The Saint (174 points)26 Lightning Kid Mark Andrews (169 points)27 Kid Fite (163 points)28 Greg Burridge (157 points)29 BT Gunn (150 points)30 Wild Boar Mike Hitchman (149 points)31 JD Knight (148 points)32 Liam Thomson (147 points)33 Owen Phoenix (147 points)34 Paul Malen (145 points)35 Andy Wild (142 points)36 Terry Frazier (140 points)37 Joseph Conners (137 points)38 Val Kabious (135 points)39 Behnam Ali (135 points)40 Darkside James Scott (132 points)41 Sam Bailey (129 points)42 Dean Allmark (124 points)43 Cyanide (104 points)44 Colossus Kennedy (98 points)45 Zack Diamond (96 points)46 Max Angelus (90 points)47 Robbie X (89 points)48 Cameron Kraze (85 points)49 Eddie Reyes (82 points)50 Mohmed Ameen (69 points)

• Paid Members

.... and, just out of interest, the rankings purely based on the total "No. 1" votes each wrestler received (i.e. the chart of people's "first choices", if they only had one vote:1 El Ligero2 Zack Sabre Jr3= Dave Mastiff3= Mikey Whiplash5= Martin Kirby5= BT Gunn7= Marty Scurll7= Greg Burridge9= Mark Haskins9= Stixx9= Rockstar Spud9= James Mason9= Joel Redman9= Jack Gallagher9= Lionheart9= T-Bone9= Jonny Storm9= Andy Wild9= Terry Frazier9= Val Kabious9= Darkside James Scott22= Johnny Moss22= Kris Travis22= Mad Man Manson22= CJ Banks22= Nathan Cruz22= The Saint22= JD Knight22= Liam Thomson22= Owen Phoenix22= Paul Malen22= Behnam Ali22= Dean Allmark22= Cyanide22= Zack Diamond22= Eddie Reyes37= Joey Hayes37= Noam Dar37= RJ Singh37= Sha Samuels37= Lightning Kid Mark Andrews37= Kid Fite37= Wild Boar Mike Hitchman37= Joseph Conners37= Sam Bailey37= Colossus Kennedy37= Max Angelus37= Robbie X37= Cameron Kraze37= Mohmed Ameen

Benny - marvellous job againI'm delighted for El Ligero (and now feel guilt free). He has had an amazing 5 years and has improved every time and his rankings in this reflect those improvements. As our champ he is obviously the first name on each card and I'm sure many other promoters agree. He has become a genuine draw for us with our local fanbased and the reactions he get in our home venue are unrivalled in our company. Well done mate, its well deserved

• Paid Members

I mirror everything Fye has said. Being a great wrestler is not the only thing that will get you booked. Ligero is the ultimate professional and has a very wise head on his shoulders. What I mean by this is he is always looking for ways to improve and always wants to steal the show , he will come up with ideas , give advice if it means helping create a better match / product. As a new promoter he has always been on hand to help myself and giving me so much invalueable advice it is untrue and for that I am very grateful. Like Fye says he is one of only 3 guys that is always on my list and no matter what age the fans are they all love him - 6 months ago my mum hated wrestling and when she first come Ligs began changing her mind lolSo I would personally like to say well done to El Ligero from the Southside family - you totally deserve it and it is a big honor to have you as a major part of our rosta.Also we are pretty confident that Southside fans will love what we have planned for him next year !

has to be the hardest working wresler on the Uk scene at the moment, its incredibly rare this guy has a weekend night off. no one deserves this more than him IMO - incredible at what he does, and great versatility.without doubt the best in the UK, and has been for a good couple of years. epitomises everythings thats good with British Wrestling.

jfvuv7.jpg(credit Tony Knox)well done fella even if you did "El Booto" me

Haha That's gold! :laugh: Honestly deserves the top spot. A lot of people in the wrestling business claim they eat, sleep, and breath professional wrestling, but I know for El Ligero that it's the truth. I've never met somebody so dedicated to something in my life. Deserves the top spot 120%!

jfvuv7.jpg(credit Tony Knox)well done fella even if you did "El Booto" me

Haha That's gold! :laugh: Honestly deserves the top spot. A lot of people in the wrestling business claim they eat, sleep, and breath professional wrestling, but I know for El Ligero that it's the truth. I've never met somebody so dedicated to something in my life. Deserves the top spot 120%!
Note the broken chair next to them, that match was crazy for all the right reasons! :thumbsup:

Archived