2011 UKFF UK50 - RESULTS THREAD

Big Benny HG

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very glad to se james in the top 10 this year. Without a doubt deserves to be there. Both in the ring and out the man is pure class and here at scw we are very proud to have him on our regular roster. James is our champion at the moment and realy carries the top end of our cards with ease.

Congrats to james mason

James Mason is only 32? He seems to have been around for a million years, and wrestles like it... in a good way. Just sheer class in every way.

Well, to be fair Mason really doesn't look like a 32 year old man. I'm guessing the fact Mason is working full time since the early 90's have taken it's toll.

• Paid Members

No. 7 - Martin Kirby

Score: 379 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 4

2010 ranking: 9th

(2009=10th; 2008=15th; 2007=NL; 2006=NL; 2005=NL)

kirbyn.jpg

"I really... REALLY... need... to... shit..." (or, possibly, already have)

Now with 4 consecutive UKFF UK50 appearances and 3 consecutive Top 10 rankings, 30-year old Yorkshireman Martin Kirby continues his annual pattern of a rise in the rankings to claim his highest ever finish. Kirby is coming off a year in which he has worked for literally dozens of promotions the length and breadth of the country and, more importantly, left an impression. Kirby has been known as both a heroic babyface and a conniving heel depending on where he is appearing, as well as forming one half of 'Project Ego' with Kris Travis.

In Teesside's 3 Count Wrestling, heel Kirby lost his North-East Championship to Mick Balls in August 2010 and failed to recover the belt in a rematch held at 'Darkest Deeds 7' that October. Kirby's next major involvement came in March 2011 as a part of Team 3CW in the 14-man 'Free For All' elimination match. There, 3CW babyfaces and heels alike came together to fight off the invading force of the 3 Count Mafia, comprised of former 3CW stars returning to take over from those that had taken their spots. The rumble-style match came down to Kirby representing 3CW against Stevie Lynn and Dan Evans of the 3 Count Mafia, only for Lynn and Evans to effectively eliminate themselves, revealing Kirby as the newest member of the 3CM and allowing him to win the match. This victory granted Kirby a shot at career-rival El Ligero's 3CW Triple Crown Championship (the title formed by the unification of the Heavyweight Championship, the British Championship and the Lord of the Ring). Taking place in the main event of the promotion's '7th Anniversary Show' in May, a great bout ended with a massive 3CW vs. 3CM brawl, and Cameron Kraze also turning on 3CW by attacking Ligero to join the Mafia. Kirby scored the title-winning 3-count, and then led his gangmates in a Nexus-style destruction and takeover job. 3CW has not promoted a show since (aside from an exhibition show for a kid's karate club), and Kirby's championship status is currently unknown.

In complete contrast, Kirby is pushed as the firery supposed "hometown" hero for Grand Pro Wrestling in Lancashire. Indeed, "Hindley's Own" Martin Kirby spent the second half of 2010 chasing CJ Banks' British Championship in a situation which also involved Danny Hope. After answering Banks' open challenge (which was originally answered by Hope, only for Danny to be attacked on his way to the ring and ruled out) and actually defeating the champion, Kirby was ruled not to have won the belt as Banks revealed that the title was not on the line and refused Kirby another match. The following month then, Kirby challenged again in the obvious guise of one of his masked alter-egos, the "mysterious" El Hindley Hombre. Banks came out on top this time, taking advantage of confusion when Hope returned looking for revenge. At "Only The Strong Survive 2010" in October, Kirby and Hope opposed Banks in the 6 vs. 6 Torneo Cibernetico elimination tag bout, but the team-mates could not get along at all. One final miscue between the pair allowed Banks to eliminate Kirby. The situation was therefore supposed to reach it's conclusion at GPW's 2010 season-ending "Guts and Glory" event in November, however Hope was removed from the scheduled 3-way 20-Minute Scramble match due to injury. Kirby, Banks, replacement Jack Gallagher and late addition Zack Diamond (added halfway through due to a mid-match fight with Gallagher) all traded pinfalls for control, but Kirby's 2010 British Title chase was to end in failure as Diamond scored the decisive pin with seconds remaining.

Kirby kick-started his 2011 in GPW by winning a 6-way at "Back With a Bang!" in February to earn a Money In The Bank-style chance for a match at the Heavyweight Title (currently held by "Housewive's Favourite" Damon Leigh). Choosing to sit on his opportunity, Kirby joined the lead GPW babyfaces in their feud with Dirk Feelgood's evil Masterplan faction, leading to him taking on Masterplan representatives in inter-factional 6- and 8-man tag bouts and unofficial brawls on the March, April and May shows. This all led to Kirby and "100% WELSH BEEF"" Dylan Roberts facing Masterplan's Jiggy Walker and Cameron Kraze in a vicious double-dog collar bout at "Heroes and Villains" in June. The "Heroes" were defeated by the "Villains", sending GPW into it's annual summer break (with Kirby still holding a championship match whenever he wants it...).

Elsewhere, Kirby has been a regular for CRW, NEWS and IWF in the north-east, NBW/GNP in the East Midlands, NGW in Hull, SOUTHSIDE in Cambridgeshire, 1PW in Cheshire (where he beat Scotland's Noam Dar in the first round of the title tournament) and DPW in West Yorkshire, where Kirby formed an initially uneasy alliance with former rival Mad Man Manson, eventually resulting in the comedy team winning the tournament to crown the first Tag Team Champions in the promotion. Just after the end of the 2011 UKFF UK50 period, Kirby returned to Kent-based IPW:UK for the first time since 2006 as Project Ego arrived as new blood in the promotion's signature tag team division.

What did the UKFF think?

"Exceptional talent, always gets a reaction, like everyone else on my list a pleasure too watch, works like a professional"

"Whether heel or face, always great to watch"

"Hilarious. As someone who has worked a match with him, just an amazing guy who can get a crowd really going. Absolute class act and match quality as good as his personality"

"Who doesn't love watching Kirby? He's a fantastic all round competitor and deserves to be placed at number 1 this year"

"God bless Kirby, he's an excellent face wherever he goes and is almost infectiously lovely. Aww"

"Seen in CRW taking on, well, everybody. Had a good tag match with Jason Daniels against Fight Club, taken on newcomer Julian W Chambers in an entertaining comedic bout and hung with the main eventers of the promotion Assassin, Lowthian and Saint. Effective as both a face and a heel, he recently made it to the final of the NEWS championship tournament"

"Never seen the man in a bad match… Always makes me laugh when he plays the comedy character. I love his stuff in DPW at the moment with Mad Man Manson, absolutely hilarious. But he’s also a great serious competitor. He did a great main event with Nathan Cruz for the NGW championship earlier this year that I really enjoyed"

"Arguably the best all rounder in the country, singles, tags, comedy, serious, hardcore, multi man matches, Kirby can do it all as well as anyone anywhere, finally started to get recognised at the top end of cards all over the UK"

"He’s put on some cracking matches this year which is unsurprising really considering the quality of the matches he’s known for. He’s been great as a singles star but has been just as enjoyable when tagging with Manson or Travis"

"A North East staple, great on any show, always entertaining"

"Always looked at him as being a bit of a comedy wrestler, but over the last few months he's done really well. Great matches in DPW to win the tag titles with Mad Man Manson and showing that he can also play a serious role too. The guy's continuing to improve every time I see him"

"Probably the best all round worker in the UK today. His matches with Ligero over the NEWS & 3CW titles were outstanding. I have yet to see a Kirby match where I have failed to be entertained"

"Solid and dependable in everything he does in every role. Stepped up to the plate in his main event with Nathan Cruz in NGW in April as he isn’t often put in that serious main event role but proved how he can do a job everywhere on the card. Tag stuff with Manson in DPW has been amazing this year"

"A very convincing wrestler and a great talent, don't think he captures attention all that well, a bit plain. Love his Project Ego tag stuff though"

"Played the heel to babyface role in DPW to perfection and has done a stellar job wherever I've seen him"

"I would say is the better of the two from his superb tag team. Charismatic and can deliver some unique offence"

"Solid year again for Kirby. His DPW tag team with Mad Man Manson was a riot"

"A good wrestler all round. Very entertaining to watch and has some good performances this year"

"Always seems to go over with kids and adults alike, he’s put on some sterling matches this year"

"Happy bouncy face that shines with his comedy spots"

"Having a guy like Kirby on a card, makes we want to go and watch the show, has truly evolved into his face routine now, and is one of the top guys in the country"

"Great comedy heel and straight babyface. Match with Nathan Cruz at NGW was truly awesome"

• Paid Members

No. 6 - Stixx

Score: 392 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 2

2010 ranking: 12th

(2009=22nd; 2008=14th; 2007=30th; 2006=26th; 2005=50th)

stixx.jpg

29-year old Nottingham powerhouse secures his highest ever UKFF UK50 ranking, breaking the Top 10 for the first time in his career. Known as the "Heavyweight House of Pain" or the "Sheriff of Nottingham", Stixx is one of the small few to have featured in the UKFF UK50 in each of the 7 years it has been running. As well as appearing for XWA, FWA, All Star Wrestling, NGW, Lucha Britannia and others, as well as tours of France and Germany, Stixx is also responsible for running his own 'House of Pain' training system in Nottingham, which has produced the likes of UKFF UK50 members Paul Malen, Joseph Conners and Max Angelus, as well as Dave Breaks, Shane Oldham, LJ Heron, Kaleb Hughes, Bam Bam Barton and 'Adrenaline' Danny Chase.

In Morecambe, Lancashire, babyface Stixx was in the midst of a mega-push towards British Heavyweight Title contention with a winning streak lasting 2 years. In April 2010, Stixx had been beaten down by the champion 'Rockstar' Spud and his entourage, but returned later in the evening for revenge, leading to Spud dropping the title to Johnny Phere. Stixx and Spud were therefore scheduled to meet at "Vendetta" in July 2010. Team Rockstar again tried to attack Stixx early in the night, but Phere returned the favour and made the save. Then, later on, Stixx overcame the interference of Spud's team mates Cyanide and Stallion to despatch the Rockstar. Stixx then beat the 400lbs Cyanide at "Last Fight at the Prom", but instead of being offered a Title match against the now-champion Alex Shane, was instead invited by Shane to join his cult-like Authority stable. The angle played on the fact that Shane had been Stixx's trainer, mentor, partner and stablemate in years gone by. Stixx didn't give his answer there and then, though, instead returning during the post-main event Shane vs. non-wrestler Tom Lambert 'match'. After initially looking as though he was indeed going to join The Authority, Stixx attacked Shane's minions and "The Ascension" himself, allowing Tom to score an improbable pinfall. The angle marked Stixx's arrival as the top babyface in the promotion. The momentum continued into 2011, as Stixx outlasted 14 other men to win the annual 'Gold Rush' rumble in February, supposedly setting up a title match with Shane at "War on the Shore 7" in June. Instead, Shane nominated his associate David DeVille as a substitute to defend the belt for him. Stixx was seconds away from winning the title when Shane attacked the referee for a disqualification, meaning the championship did not change hands. The feud is set to continue in October on XWA's final show of the year.

Stixx ran through his House of Pain products Bam Bam Barton, Joseph Conners and SC Supreme in Hull's New Generation Wrestling across successive shows to set up a super-heavyweight collision with Colossus Kennedy. That bout ended in a countout, meaning there is more to come. In the Frontier Wrestling Alliance, Stixx and protege Paul Malen beat The Daredevil Dragons at "The Art of War" to advance in the tournament to crown new tag team champions, but were eliminated from the tournament at the "European Uprising" exhibition show in November 2010, losing to the LDRS of the New School (Zack Sabre Jr and Marty Scurll). The tournament has subsequently been abandoned. Subsequent singles matches for FWA have included exhibition matches against Leroy Kincaide and Max Angelus.

Elsewhere, Stixx appeared for All Star Wrestling, where he faced Spud and Angelus in singles bouts and enjoyed a headline series of tag bout with Malen against 'The Hooligans', Budd and Bexx (the frmer Zebra Kid and Zak Zodiac). He lost to Kris Travis in Dynamic Pro Wrestling, and featured in his second 'dark' match for Dragon Gate:UK when he feaced Dean Allmark in Cambridgeshire. He also dons a mask to become "Necrosis" for the madness which is Lucha Britannia...

What did the UKFF think?

"Amazing match at Phoenix Pro Wrestling against Jonny Storm and Lionheart"

"Really think he's a top babyface, seen him a lot of his career as a heel but I think him as a babyface offers him a totally different dimension, really good worker"

"Great look and never in a match below solid"

"Consistent and believable, really enjoying his work as a face. Nice to finally have someone to have a convincing match with Colossus Kennedy in NGW"

"Always puts on a good performance. Got a WWE try out, another one due in November which bodes well. One of the best big man workers in the business"

"One of the best big guys out there"

"I love watching The Heavyweight House of Pain, whether it being as part of a tag team in the FWA or as the babyface darling of the XWA. Only recently lost his "Stixx Streak" of wins when he failed to win the XWA championship. He has shown so much character in his storylines and has had very entertaining bouts with David Deville, Rockstar Spud and Cyanide, also managing to remove Stallions bandana after a no holds barred match with Cyanide"

"I haven't seen a bad match with him in plus he can play either face/heel great"

"He

I am so pleased that Kirby has finished so high - totally deserved.

I myself have 3 guys that are always on my list and I wouldn't wanna run a show with out them and Kirby is defo in the 3. He is very adaptable , and can play face and heel brilliantly.

Also throw in the fact that he is about the nicest wrestler that you could meet. He has also given me a lot of his time and advice that has been very valueable.

I salute you Mr Kirby !

Really deserved this spot! He's worked so hard and you can see constant improvements each time you watch him wrestle. Also think he's started to look in miles better shape this year, you can tell he's been working hard on his look and it's paying off for him... Go Kirbs! :thumbsup:

Archived