2011 UKFF UK50 - RESULTS THREAD

Big Benny HG

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope Zack takes the top spot. I know he was my personal #1, but after the year he's had, he more than deserves it.

I don't think he has had a better year than Mark Haskins personally, but he has been seen alot more over here and with the Noah UK event and subsequent tours ontop that is why I have him over Mark.

Scurll has had a good year and he could well end up as one, but without the Japanese tours of Sabre/Haskins may hold him down.

Not that anybody is interested but the ten listed was my pick for top 10 when the 50 was announced although I had Redman in with Kirby just outside. I would have been surprised to see a different mix to be honest.

People who get worked up by the list sometimes that it is judged on what people have seen and is reflectant on that and the more travelled guys, or those who get the wider exposure will always land higher up than a local (Unless they have a training school/lot of friends/multiple accounts) but that seems to have been less and less with each passing year.

Hat Guy, puts sooo much effort into these and it is always great reading them and people's feedback on the guys. A highlight of the Forum every year.

No. 14 - Joey Hayes

Score: 274 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 0

2010 ranking: 10th

(2009=9th; 2008=5th; 2007=39th; 2006=NL; 2005=47th)

joeyzx.jpg

One of the UK's most versatile performers, Leigh's Joey Hayes slips out of the Top 10 this year after ranking there the previous 3 occasions. In the 2011 UKFF UK50 period, Joey has worked for promotions across Lancashire, Greater Manchester and Yorkshire, as well as BCW in Scotland, both in singles matches and as part of double-championship team 'The Models' with Danny Hope.

After having spent the first half of 2010 in his 'home' GPW promotion challenging for CJ Banks' British Championship, Hayes joined the fight against Dirk Feelgood and his 'Masterplan' at 'Alive and Amplified' in August. After beating Bruce Sheila earlier in the night, Joey ran out to save Dylan Roberts from a gang beating at the hands of Masterplan members Feelgood, Jiggy Walker and Cameron Kraze. Though Hayes immediately wanted Feelgood one-on-one, he was forced to wait. Joey promised a surprise partner for his tag bout against Feelgood and Kraze the following month at 'Friday Night Thriller IV' and that's exactly what he delivered, as retired former favourite Bubblegum returned to join him in the fight against Feelgood. All was not what it seemed, however, since Bubblegum himself was revealed to the the 4th Masterplan member, turning on Hayes in a red hot angle. Hayes was to get a measure of revenge when he got his hands on Feelgood as part of the 6 vs. 6 'Torneo Cibernetico' bout in October. Indeed, Hayes and Feelgood were the last two remaining in the elimination-style main event, and Joey took advantage of Dylan Robert's return to score the pin over his rival and emerge the winner of the whole thing.

With Dirk out with a broken arm, Hayes, Roberts and El Ligero went down to Bubblegum, Kraze and Walker in November. Then, Joey opened 2011 with a singles main event against the man that betrayed him 5 months earlier, Bubblegum. A great match ended when Feelgood came out to smash Hayes with his cast, allowing Bubblegum to win. Ligero ran out for the save, setting up the tag main event the next month. There, another good 'un ended with Hayes getting even with Dirk, pulling his cast off and using it against him. Joey, Ligero and Roberts were joined in their fight against the Masterplan by Martin Kirby for the 8-man tag team main event of the April show. Fought under survivor rules, Hayes and Feelgood eliminated each other with a double pin, meaning that nothing had been settled between them. Ligero vs. Kraze in May ended with another mass brawl, finally setting up the long-awaited Joey Hayes vs. Dirk Feelgood singles match for the appropriately-named 'Heroes and Villains' show in June. There, Joey was on the verge of victory when he was betrayed again, this time by referee Mike Fitzgerald being revealed as aligned with the Masterplan, leading Dirk to the big win...

In his long-established flamboyant 'Models' heel team, Hayes and Danny Hope started the 2011 UKFF UK50 period by becoming double tag team champions, beating Vitamin C for the FSW straps in Stockport to add to the BCW belts they already held in Scotland. They beat Vitamin C in a rematch at 'FutureShock 47' in September, followed by a BCW defence over Davey Blaze and Chris Rampage the same month. Blaze n' Rampage were to come out on top the next time, however, downing Hayes and Hope for the gold at 'No Blood, No Sympathy 8' in Kilmarnock that December. The pair kept tighter holder of their gold in FSW, though, coming through a program with 101% Proof to continue their reign to this day.

Elsewhere, Hayes appeared for DPW in West Yorkshire and NGW in Hull. In Morecambe for XWA, Joey has been part of a storyline where his former tag team partner in the Manchester Massive, Declan O'Connor, has repeatedly saved him from beatings and is trying to make amends after turning on Joey 3 years ago, but Joey is still distrustful of his former friend. Hayes also appeared as part of the Dragon Gate UK tour in 2010, falling to Cyber Kong on the first night. Further afield, Joey is somewhat of a regular for Dutch Pro Wrestling over in Holland, making numerous appearances over the 12 months.

What did the UKFF think?

"Great look, great in the ring, a pleasure to watch"

"Amazingly versatile wrestler, only match I've ever though 'meh' about was the 6 man tag at 1PW in Deeside. Amazing at getting a crowd going"

"One of the best British wrestlers in a decade"

"Never fails to put on a good match. Grippingly entertaining, everything is solid and crisp. One of my favourite wrestlers on the UK scene today"

"Somehow manages to be loved by EVERY crowd he works in front of. Has that

• Paid Members
No. 11 - Kris Travis

Score: 285 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 1

2010 ranking: 6th

(2009=11th; 2008=19th; 2007=NL; 2006=NL; 2005=NL)

travvg.jpg

Sheffield's Kris Travis makes his 4th consecutive UKFF UK50 appearance, but just fails to retain his Top 10 position as he slips 5 placings in the rankings this year after some time away from the ring right in the middle of this year's eligibility period.

In South Yorkshire and the East Midlands, Travis continued to be a top star for NBW/GNP, where he faced Jamie Jewel, EL Ligero, Sam, Bailey, Matt Slater and Robbie X in July and August 2010, culminating in him winning the vacant NBW Championship in the battle royal main event of a show in Shirebrook village. All of the confusing myriad of NBW singles title holders then came together for a main event 4-way unification match in Warsop in October, where a single true 'NBW Champion' would be crowned. Travis beat Ligero, Joey Hayes and Danny Hope to become recognised as the group's official champion going forward. While all of this was going on, Trav continued to appear for West Yorkshire's DPW promotion, where he fought G-Man, T-Bone and Stixx, and then finally Dylan Roberts in October 2010.

Travis' return to action in March 2011 also saw him return to Teesside's 3 Count Wrestling for the first time in a year, appearing there as a babyface for the first time. After beating Lance Thunder at 'Free For All 8', Travis went on to beat "American Idol" Iain Robinson in good matches in April and May. That month also saw Travis resurrect his 'Project Ego' tag team with Martin Kirby for AJ Spitfire's latest promotional effort. First, Travis and Kirby fell in defeat to Mohmed Ameen and Val Kabious, leading to them facing each other in a singles match later in the night. Kirby came out on top. Project Ego then returned to 1PW a fortnight later, where they fought to a no contest against "Manhatten Project", a long-hyped heel stable which actually only turned out to be US wrestlers Rhino and Conrad Kennedy III. The previous evening in the promotion, however, Travis had fought for the vacant 1PW Openweight Title and then formed a new heel stable with Joey Hayes, Bubblegum and Sam Bailey called "The Future of Wrestling"....

In the promotion which would eventually come to be known as Preston City Wrestling, Travis defended the NBW Championship he still held in main event victories over Joey Hayes in March 2011 and then Douglas Williams in June. He then turned up in Hull for NGW, where Project Ego beat CJ Banks and Rockstar Spud in the first round of the Tag Team Title tournament, but have since been dumped out of the running in their semi-final against Paul Malen and Joe Conners last weekend.

What did the UKFF think?

"Have been a huge fan of his from the start, gets my vote here by being consistently brilliant whatever role he plays in a show. Credit to the UK scene"

"Where he has had the opportunity to wrestle, he

• Paid Members

No. 10 - Johnny Moss

Score: 294 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 1

2010 ranking: 7th

(2009=7th; 2008=12th; 2007=32nd; 2006=25th; 2005=NL)

mossy.jpg

The campest you will EVER see this man look (Photo - 'Big' Rob Brazier)

Cumbrian hardman Johnny Moss makes the UKFF UK50 for the 6th consecutive time, finishing in the Top 10 for the 3rd consecutive year. Originally one of Andre "Sledgehammer" Baker's NWA:UK Hammerlock products, "The Vigilante" has been a mainstay in Scottish wrestling for years due to the proximity of his hometown to the border, but a busy year has also seen him appear in England, the United States, France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Italy and Germany, where he is a top star for WXW.

In July 2010, Moss appeared in WXW's one night "Ambition" tournament, a trial worked MMA/shoot-style offering in their home of Oberhausen. He beat fellow Englishmen Wade Fitzgerald and his old Hammerlock buddy Jon Ryan in the quarter- and semi-finals respectively, before being bested by Bryan Danielson in the main event final (taking place during Bryan's absence from WWE last year). From there, "Vigilante" went on to face Bad Bones, Carnage, Chikara/Dragon Gate USA's Brodie Lee in WXW during the remainder of 2010, before kicking off 2011 by beating Adam Polak to qualify for that year's "16 Carat Gold" tournament, the annual 3-day independent extravaganza which is the highlight of the German promotion's year. The next night, WXW presented another of it's "Ambition" shows, where he beat veteran German wrester Eric Schwarz in a "Superfight". At "16 Carat Gold" itself, Moss was eliminated by Pro Wrestling NOAH's Go Shiozaki in the first round, meaning he fought Big Japan's Daisuke Sekimoto (for WXW's singles title) and Jon Ryan in non-tournament bouts across the second and third days.

As a representative of WXW, Moss was then selected by the organisation to be a part of their mini tour of the north-east USA in April. Johnny teamed with Bad Bones on the first night to challenge Force-1 Wrestling Tag Team Champions Alex Payne and Pelle Primeau (former ROH trainees), then teamed with ROH's Michael Elgin in the former ECW Arena the next night to fight Brodie Lee and WXW's Big Van Walter. The tour was completed at the "ACE Arena" in Union City, New Jersey, where he teamed with Sekimoto in the main event to defeat former ROH World Tag Team Champions The Briscoes.

In November 2010, Moss took part in a high-profile tour of France for the touring American Wrestling Rampage group. The tour featured former WWE superstars such as Booker T, Scott Steiner, Charlie Haas, Shelton Benjamin, Daivari The Sandman, Rene Dupree and Sylvain Grenier. While Moss mainly faced other European talent on the tour, he did team with Austria's Chris "Bambikiller" Raaber on the final night in a losing effort to La Resistance.

Over here in the United Kingdom, Mossy has continued to feature for all the major promotions in Scotland. In Glasgow's ICW, his path of destruction towards to top continued as he smashed through William Grange and Chris Rampage, setting up a title match against ICW Champion James "Darkside" Scott on the WrestleMania night show. There, Moss was on the verge of victory before Scott's Gold Label stablemates ran in fr the assist, costing him the win. This was not the only Scottish promotion where Johnny was to have received a crack at singles gold, as he, Michael Knight and BT Gunn unsuccessfully challenged PBW Champion Lionheart in the 4-way Tables, Ladders and Chairs main event of "Maximum Impact 2010" last October. Moss himself also went after Red Lightning's BCW Openweight Title in May at "When Powers Collide", again coming away empty handed.

Down in England, Moss worked for IPW:UK in Kent, North East Wrestling Society in County Durham, Real Deal Promotions in Lincolnshire and for Triple Team Promotions and Ryan "AJ" Spitfire in his native Cumbria. Possibly his most high-profile appearance came when he faced Jeff Jarrett in Wembley Arena as part of TNA Wrestling's January 2011 tour of the UK, before he headed back to his roots to appear for NWA:UK Hammerlock in May as they paid tribute to his late trainer, Andre Baker. Presented as the top star on the show, "The Vigilante" beat Danny Garnell and Jon Ryan in two separate singles bouts to claim the first ever Andre Baker Memorial Cup.

What did the UKFF think?

"Looks like a wrestler, wrestles like a wrestler, he just is the best wrestler in the UK. Mind blowing how he isn't in the States or Japan"

"For someone so muscle-bound, is as smooth as silk. Very fluid worker and has the best physique in Britain"

"Johnny Moss is probably the best worker in Britain. Kicks everyone's head in at ICW"

"Like Haskins and Lionheart, his appearance on TNA should have had him a contract. Certainly Britain's best wrestler"

"Intense performer. Reminds me a bit of a peak version of Chris Benoit with his in ring style"

"Moss is Moss, always great in whatever environment he is put in, one of the most consistent over the last 10 years, let alone the last 10 months"

"I first saw Moss wrestle Conscience in 2007 in SWA and thought that he was the real deal back then. But by 09 he looked 100 times better and I didn't know it was possible! I wish I saw him vs. Jarrett, because I'm sure he's on a par with guys like that. I just don't get why he's not been signed by anyone. I tell you what though, he's made his home in ICW, yet you know he fits in everywhere he goes"

"Another great year for the big man. TNA match on the UK tour and also awesome matches wherever he goes"

"Beast of a man, his hall wide brawl with Lee Chaos in Brigg was a belter and a must see for fans of the Moss"

"Should be in WWE or TNA. Amazing"

"His contest with James Scott at ICW was phenomenal. I think it's only a matter of time before TNA or WWE come calling. One of the best looks in British wrestling but has the wrestling skills to match. Was a very close number 2 for me"

"Every bit of what WWE usually go for and for some reason not there.... odd"

"Just a monster, RDW brawl with Lee Chaos was incredible"

"Great look, great intensity and all round amazing performer. Never fails to get the crowd in and has had some great matches. BEST BRITISH WRESTLER BY FAR"

"When he turns up to the shows he's advertised for he is amazing , would be higher but has a nasty habit of not turning up, or not being able to make it (its happpened at least 3 or 4 times to shows I've went to"

"I love watching this guy just maul people. There is this aura about him that says "you need about 10 men to put me down". The matches being good is almost just a fun bonus"

• Paid Members
James Mason is certainly a shock for the Top 10 he is very good but i probably wouldn't call him better than some of the top 15.

No way, James Mason is easily one of the best 5 wrestlers in this country- and has been for years. Good to see the All-Star boys getting more recognition on here lately, which I'm sure is due to them branching out a bit more here and there, but still. The likes of Robbie Dynamite, Mikey Whiplash and James Mason have amongst been the best workers in this country for ages. So have Hammerlock veterans Johnny Moss and John Ryan.

They look the part, they wrestle the part, they are the part. For me they are the measuring stick for any workers in this country.

• Paid Members

No. 9 - James Mason

Score: 311 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 2

2010 ranking: 26th

(2009=28th; 2008=NL; 2007=NL; 2006=NL; 2005=18th)

masoncs.jpg

Winning the UEWA European Heavyweight Title in Hanley (Photo - Tony Knox)

32-year old veteran of British rings James Mason makes his 4th ever appearance in the rankings of the UKFF UK50, now 3 consecutive years. While continuing to be a full-time touring roster member with Brian Dixon's All Star Wrestling (of those "Superslam Wrestling" posters you've seen at your local town hall), Mason also spent the 2011 UKFF UK50 period as a regular for Premier Promotions in the south-east and Welsh Wresting in, erm, Wales. He went back to Germany and appeared on the Pro Wrestling NOAH weekend tour of the UK.

From Croydon and Hayes to Grimsby and Hull, Mason is just as much a fixture with All Star Wrestling as he as ever been. On All Star's October bill at the famous Victoria Halls in Hanley, Staffordshire, Mason defeated Mikey Whiplash for the UEWA European Heavyweight Championship, a belt Whiplash himself had only won earlier the same night. From that point on, ASW opponents have been as varied as CZW's Masada, former WWE superstar Gangrel, WWE developmental-bound Rampage Brown, Redcar's Tony Spitfire and Gloucester's T-Bone. He also successfully defended his European Heavyweight Title over Dave Mastiff in February 2011 and in a series of matches with touring Belgian Sir Robin.

Mason came into the 2011 UKFF UK50 period as the reigning Welsh Heavyweight Champion, having won the vacant title back in May 2010. He was to hold the belt until October, when he was downed by Kade Callous. Subsequent Welsh Wrestling appearances have seen him tangle with Tommy Dean in nearly a dozen singles matches around the circuit, including defences of his UEWA gold. James also defeated Ravishing Rocco, Masked Outlaw and Dean in a single night to win the 'King of the Castle' tournament in Blaengarw in May 2011, before going on to repeat the process in beating Rocco, Dean and Big Dog (the Welsh one, not the Sheffield-based over-reacting 2010 UKFF SHITLIST entrant) to win the Blackwood version of the same tournament. Welsh Wrestling has also seen him resurrect his masked comedy alter-ego Tagori, a middle-of-the-card staple for All Star several years ago.

Mason's traditional British technical mat wrestling style was a perfect fit for the old school presentation of Premier Promotions, where he faced Johnny Kidd and Joel Redman in 2010 matches before also beating both Jonny Storm and Andy Simmons in the same December night to win the 2010 'Ian Dowland Trophy' in Worthing. James started 2011 by beating Robbie Brookside in Bournemouth to add Premier's British Heavyweight Title to his UEWA European Championship. A special April bout in Potters Bar saw him defend the gold against "Quadruple Hard" old school British bruiser Flash Barker, in a bout refereed by well-loved World of Sport veteran Steve Grey.

In May 2011, Mason made his return to Sittingbourne's IPW:UK for the first time in 18 months on the weekend where Japanese promotion Pro Wrestling NOAH made their latest European tour. Mason lost out to Danny Garnell in a fabulous slow-burn cracker. The night before, as part of the main NOAH presentation in Wolverhampton, Mason had beaten American Bobby Fish in an equally strong effort.

What did the UKFF think?

"Pleasure to watch, always gets the crowd going, great technical ability"

"Pure masterclass technician, had a great old school feel match with Bobby Fish at NOAH, joy to watch"

"I feel this man is under-rated on the British scene, this could be because he mainly only wrestles for All Star, but I've seen him a few times this year against Brookside, Fish, Connors etc. Amazing"

"The ultimate professional. Need I say more?"

"Hardest working man in British wrestling in my opinion. Seen him set up rings all by himself, do a match and pack a ring away by himself"

"Still brilliant, seen him get big pops out of a crowd of 20 jaded fans at a PTW show, that does say something"

"Only seen his stuff in SCW this year, but he stole the show in the main event of show 1 vs Dave Mastiff, seemingly with ease. Made LJ Heron look great in his match with him, and had a cracker with Joseph Conners to cap it off. Absolutely fantastic to watch"

"Chain wrestling with no bumps on the NOAH show and got one of the biggest pop of the night? Yeah, this guy is good. Really good"

"The man who can do it all. Stole the show at NOAH in Wolverhampton. Matches with Mean Tommy Dean for Welsh Wrestling have blown the roof off numerous venues. Reigned for six months as Welsh Heavyweight Champion, winning various tournaments and battle royals in the promotion. Fantastic striker. Technically superb, yet also possessing bags of charisma. Mason has the ability to make every single spectator care about his match, from 8 years old to 80"

"One of the last vestiges of British Wrestling, and one of the best. Excellent all round, wish I could see him more"

"Still, one of the best wrestlers in the world. Can get it done in any style in front of any crowd. Considering he's wrestled for WWE, TNA, NOAH, IPW:UK, All Star, LDN, PTW and everywhere in between, it's surprising he isn't appreciated more"

"He has something that sepearates him from other wrestlers and he catches your eye straight away. Has a really entertaining technical style and looks at home in the ring"

"Not seen a lot of his work this year but Noah was enough, he was in what was far and away the best British style wrestling match I have ever seen live and I've seen quite a few try it, hold for hold, reversal for reversal right through to the simple finish, sublime stuff"

"No justification needed, as this man is British wrestling"

"Technical prowess like no other, seems to lead any wrestler to a good match"

"A very smooth wrestler who moves incredibly well for a wrestler his size. Tells a very convincing story in all of the matches I have seen him involved in"

"Glorious. Smooth as silky. Makes moolah"

"Smooth as silk- I'm not talking about his head. Mr Professional"

"Rocking All Over The World is a fantastic entrance theme. The closest thing to a British Colt Cabana"

"Just an absolute top wrestler, who has to be in this list, can do some beautiful things inside the ring which I

• Paid Members

No. 8 - 'Rockstar' Spud

Score: 374 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 2

2010 ranking: 3rd

(2009=2nd; 2008=9th; 2007=4th; 2006=4th; 2005=9th)

spudt.jpg

A fall of 5 places this year for the Birmingham-based 'Rockstar' following an injury lay-off that caused him to miss several months of action during the year, though the performances he did put on were impressive enough to ensure that Spud remains the only wrestler to have finished in the Top 10 of the UKFF UK50 in each of the 7 years it has been running. FWA, XWA, IPW:UK, NGW and All Star are some of the promotions to have called upon his services in the last 12 months.

Spud returned to IPW:UK for the first time in nearly a year at "Unfinished Business 2010", finally using the cocky, arrogant 'Rockstar' gimmick he had perfected elsewhere over the previous 2 years there for the first time. In his "redebut", he immediately defeated Lion Kid for the British Cruiserweight Title with his feet on the ropes. At the "Sixth Anniversary Show" 2 months later, the pair were rematched with Spud using dodgy tactics on route to coming out on top once again. He was scheduled to next defend against Mark Haskins and US star Matt Cross in a 3-way at "Make or Break 2010", but explained that his 'Rockstar' demands (including the right number of jellybeans) had not been met and refused to compete. Though he attacked the winner Haskins following the now-singles bout, the angle was actually due to Spud needing time off due to heal an injury. He was stripped of the Cruiserweight Title and IPW:UK announced a tournament in 2011 to declare a new champion.

The injury also kept Spud out of his advertised and long-built Ladder match with Jonny Storm at FWA's "European Uprising" show at the November Memorabilia expo. The grudge bout had been built towards since the return of the promotion in the summer of 2009, including through Spud's matches in FWA Flyweight Title tournament throughout 2010 (which was eventually seemingly abandoned). Instead, Spud was replaced by both Nathan Cruz and Axl Rage as the match became a 3-way exhibition. After his return, Spud and Storm were to eventually get their match as part of the "New Frontiers" weekend the following March. Taking place at another Memorabilia exhibition, the pair fought to a no contest. Spud made his surprise IPW:UK return in May, revealing T-Bone as his hired muscle and refusing to relinquish the British Cruiserweight Championship belt he had been stripped of. The pair attacked Terry Frazier and then returned during the main event to assist Sha Samuels in defeating Dave Mastiff for the Undisputed British Heavyweight Title as a new heel stable was formed. After the end of the 2011 UKFF UK50 eligibility period, Spud and Samuels were beaten by Mastiff and Lion Kid in the main event of the July show.

Up in Morecambe's XWA, Spud had lost the XWA British Heavyweight Title to Johnny Phere (who then immediately lost it to Alex Shane) earlier in 2010, following the interference of Stixx. At "Vendetta" in July 2010, Spud and his devious 'Team Rockstar' (Stallion, Axl Rage, JD Sassoon and Cyanide) called out Stixx and beat him up with his own steel chain. Later in the night, Spud and Stixx went one-on-one and once the referee had sent Team Rockstar to the back, Spud went down to the "Heavyweight House of Pain". Spud attempted to get a measure of revenge during his bodyguard Cyanide's match with Stixx at the next show, "Last Fight at the Prom" in October, but was once again foiled as Stixx came out on top. Then, backstage videos played on the big screen throughout the show showed Spud being angry at the other members of Team Rockstar for their losing streak as his power began to unravel. The videos also showed him being mocked as a result by newcomer "Showstealer" Nathan Cruz, setting up an match between the two later that night. With the other members of Team Rockstar leaving him to it, Spud was attacked and laid out by both Cruz and Colossus, as he started to hear the support of XWA fans for the first time in years.

Supposedly taken out of action, then, it was a shock when Spud made his surprise return at the annual "Goldrush" rumble in February 2011, marking his babyface turn by attacking his former Team Rockstar stablemates (who had since formed an alliance with Cruz and Colossus) and then brawling with Cruz, causing both of them to be eliminated. In June at "War on the Shore 7", Spud fired his tour manager Stallion and officially broke up Team Rockstar.

What did the UKFF think?

"Amazing persona"

"Name puts the gimmick across before you even see him, character is great and always steals the show whether he goes"

"Great gimmick"

"One of the greatest characters in England"

"Entertaining, doesn't actually need to wrestle any more, a benchmark"

"Best babyface in the country. Best character. Good in-ring performer and hell of a promo"

"His tweets are hilarious"

"Best character in BritWres"

"saw him have fantastic matches in XWA with Stixx (furthering the Team Rockstar/breaking the Stixx streak storyline) and Nathan Cruz before he took some time off to heal. Reappearing in the Goldrush battle royal, he attecked his stablemates the Blackpool Blonds before eliminating his tour manager Stallion. Proving he is still an awesome entertainer even if not in a match, he had a heated showdown on the mic with Stallion at War on the Shore, tricking him into taking the blame for Sam Slams exile from the company leading Sam Slam to manhandle Stallion, thus leaving the crowd extremely happy about Spud's new found attitude"

"A great talent in the ring, but he shines even more so on the mic"

"Great for comedy value, never fails to make me laugh and hate him with a passion at the same time. Slowing down his performance from when he was simply just 'Spud.' And I think it's for the better"

"Unbearable to be around, but completely amazing in performance"

"Doesn't need to wrestle that much as he works a crowd excellently"

"Still the best character on the UK scene. Great matches, very diverse. Can do just about everything"

"Fantastic guy, great gimmick, excellent matches"

"One of the few Brit wrestlers who people will actually pay money to see. People desperately want the little prick to get his arse kicked - the biggest compliment I can give"

"One of the best characters on the British wrestling scene and one of the premier lighter-weight wrestlers in the country"

"Great character"

"Manages to get the crowd to hate him like very few others can manage"

"Comedy gold"

"Has the X-Factor that Shawn Michaels has, and whilst it may be a big stretch to compare anyone in the UK to HBK you cant help but acknowledge that Spud has the amazing ability to draw people into his matches and make you believe he will win in spite of his size"

"Entertaining from start to finish"

"A wrestler who really understands his gimmick and always a pleasure to watch"

"The guy really knows how to work the crowd. His in ring stuff is good and his character is an instant hit with fans"

"One of the few Brit wrestlers who people will actually pay money to see"

"The most entertaining wrestler in the country whether heel or face"

"He's Rockstar Spud, quite possibly the greatest BritWres gimmick since Kendo Nagasaki. Doesn't hurt he's an incredible wrestler as well"

Archived