2011 UKFF UK50 - RESULTS THREAD

Big Benny HG

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dissapointed if I'm honest, figured Dar would be a higher place than some of the other top 20, but still a great position for him nevertheless.

I feel the same about Nathan Cruz. Massive leap for them both. And at the rate these guys are going, I can only see them ranking higher next year.

Great to see Wild Boar and Mark Andrews placing so well in their debut listings. Both really talented, dedicated, and entertaining performers. Amongst the best the country has to offer imo, they'll definitely be climbing year on year from here on in. Worth giving credit to the work that Mike Bird does at his training school over in Newport, i bet that there'll be more great talent coming out of that in years to come (and some, such as Flash Morgan, will be breaking out very soon i'd have thought).

Surprised to see Noam Dar outside the top 15, infact all the Scottish guys so far have ranked poorer than I would have thought.

I'm not surprised at the likes of Liam Thomson and BT Gunn being ranked so low. I'd have liked them to be higher, especially Bad Boy, but limited exposure doesn't help.

Anyways, you could make a shout for the vast majority of the names left being better than Noam Dar. I don't mean that as a criticism of Noam Dar of course. It just goes to show how good some of the talent is in the UK. I personally would rate Noam higher than some of them, but it's fairly tight.

• Paid Members

No. 18 - CJ Banks

Score: 248 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 1

2010 ranking: 17th

(2009=13th; 2008=42nd; 2007=47th; 2006=NL; 2005=NL)

banksa.jpg

Known equally as "Serious" CJ Banks, "The Juice" or "Muppet" depending on who you ask, the Southport native makes his 5th consecutive appearance in the UKFF UK50. Though he slips a single place in the 2011 rankings, this is also his 3rd consecutive top 20 finish. Banks has appeared across the north of England, including GPW, DPW, NGW and All Star Wrestling, as well as in Scotland for BCW and ICW.

In Grand Pro Wrestling through which he became known, Banks started the 2011 UKFF UK50 period holding the GPW British Title, one of two main single championships (with the Heavyweight Title) recognised by the Wigan-based promotion. An interesting 3-way situation surrounding the title began with Banks, Martin Kirby and Danny Hope. Offering a series of 'open challenges' for the belt, Banks and associate Fox Carter took out first challenger Hope in August before the match could even start. So, Kirby instead took over the challenge and scored the win over the champion.... only for Banks to state afterwards that he never said the title was on the line in that match. With next month's open challenge being to anyone but Kirby, Banks found himself defending against the mysterious masked 'El Hindley Hombre', quite obviously made out to be Kirby in disguise. A disagreement between Kirby and Hope led to Banks getting the pin. In October, Banks was on the opposite team to Hope and Kirby in the 'torneo cibernetico' 6 vs. 6 elimination main event. More miscommunication throughout the contest between Hope and Kirby allowed Banks to beat Kirby again, but was himself eliminated by Hope immediately after. All of this ended up with Banks, Hope and Kirby scheduled to fight it out for the belt in a 3-way 20-minute Scramble at 'Guts and Glory'. First, Hope was replaced in the bout due to injury by Jack Gallagher. Then, onlooking Zack Diamond was added to the match after getting into it with Gallagher halfway through. It would be the late newcomer that held control as the time limit expired, scoring an upset pin in the closing seconds to ensure Banks lost the belt he had held for a full year. Banks was granted a one-on-one rematch with Diamond for 'his' belt at 'Back With A Bang 2011', but came up short again as Diamond retained in a great bout. Banks was to leave GPW after this show.

Not too far away in West Yorkshire's Dynamic Pro Wrestling, Banks won his second DPW British Championship in the main event of "August Anarchy 2010", defeating Bingo Ballance for the vacant title after Cameron Kraze was stripped due to injury. He successfully defended the belt in headline bouts against El Ligero one-on-one and then Kraze and Ligero in a 3-way, before dropping the belt to fan favourite Kraze in December. Since then, Banks' road back to the belt has seen him take a streak of submission victories, beating Robbie X, Sam Bailey, Dean Allmark and Mikey Whiplash, with his sole defeat coming at the hands of Ligero.

Elsewhere, Banks also toured with Irish Whip Wrestling in the Irish Republic, where he teamed with GPW rival Hope, and unsuccessfully challenged James "Darkside" Scott for the BCW Heavyweight Title in Kilmarnock.

What did the UKFF think?

"Great worker, reminds me somewhat of Dynamite Kid in his execution"

"Really good in every area"

"He looks great, he wrestles great, and he entertains thoroughly"

"A great villain, slick and in yer face, someone who seems to get better every time I see him"

"His work for DPW has been brilliant, built up a great gimmick as a submissions expert and looks like he should be playing in the big leagues"

"Currently in a storyline with DPW where he's proving that he doesn't need the title to put on the best match on the card. So far, so good. He's had some absolutely cracking matches in 2011 so far"

"A solid year, has been given the platform at DPW to steal the show"

"A great heel, love to hate him"

"Had the 2 best matches I've seen all year. Thoroughly deserves to be so high"

"If anyone was looking for a solid example that British wrestling is not filled with spot monkey flyweights, CJ Banks would be the evidence. Fantastic all round performer who doesn't get the same kind of exposure as some less talented others"

"The guy has a good image very physical wrestler. Can generate some good heat from the crowd. Got some good in ring stuff as well"

"Loving his submission expert gimmick, never seen him have a bad match"

"Awesome heel, even if it goes too far, a la GPW"

• Paid Members

No. 17 - Lionheart

Score: 250 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 2

2010 ranking: 11th

(2009=15th; 2008=17th; 2007=21st; 2006=NL; 2005=NL)

lionheartw.jpg

Often presented as the top dog in Scottish wrestling, Lionheart earns his 5th consecutive UKFF UK50 appearance, with his 4th consecutive Top 20 ranking. Despite appearing for all the major Scottish promotions, holding headline singles and tag gold, as well as appearing in England and on TNA Wrestling's 2010 tour against former NWA World Heavyweight and WWF Intercontinental and Tag Champion Jeff Jarrett, Lionheart falls 6 places in the rankings this time out, but it isn't enough to stop him finishing top Scot in the UKFF UK50.

In Premier British Wrestling, lead babyface Lionheart had reigned as the Heavyweight Champion since December 2008. The 2011 UKFF UK50 period saw him score successful main event defences over Andy Wild (twice), Tim Whylie and in a 4-way TLC match over Johnny Moss, Michael Knight and BT Gunn at "Maximum Impact" in the second half of 2010. Gunn pushed him further than he had previously been tested, setting up a singles bout between the two at "Fully Charged 2011" in February. After a January defence over Jack Jester, Lionheart dropped the title to BT Gunn in the reportedly excellent main event in Greenock. He was quick to get back into the championship ways, however, since he then teamed with career friend/enemy Wolfgang at "Breaking Limits 6" in April to down Final Cut (Liam Thomson and Noam Dar) for the PBW tag straps. Since then, Lionheart beat TJ Rage in singles action and has defended the tag belts against Andy Wild and Shock, and Rage and Scott Maverick.

After stepping away from British Championship Wrestling in December 2009 following his defeat to Noam Dar at "No Blood, No Sympathy 7", Lionheart made a surprise return to the promotion to confront the angry bully Kid Fite. This set up a match an entire year after Lionheart's last BCW bout at "No Blood, No Sympathy 8". Though Lionheart was to lose to Fite that night in Kilmarnock, he was to later go through the same evening's Battle Royal for a shot at the BCW Heavyweight Championship, qualifying for a 4-way main event with champion James Scott, Red Lightning and Jack Jester. On his first night back in the federation, Lionheart scored the victory to reclaim the belt and enter 2011 as champion. Since his win, Lionheart has gone on to main event title defences over Fite and Liam Thomson.

Over in Insane Championship Wrestling, Lionheart has been a member of the heel faction "Gold Label", with James Scott, Red Lightning and Wolfgang, waging war with the ICW babyfaces. His feud with Chris Renfrew ended with a victory in a Last Man Standing Match in November. Liono then beat Kid Fite and Jack Jester over the next two shows before he teamed with his Gold Label colleagues to beat Team ICW in a crazy brawl to headline the July 2011 event.

Down in England, Lionheart finally achieved the status of the top wrestler in 1PW after being pushed by the promotion for years. The tournament to crown a brand new 1PW Heavyweight Champion opened in February 2011 at "The New Dawn", with Lionheart beating Andy Baker that night in Ellesmere Port. The semi-finals came in May, with Lionheart paired with Zack Sabre Jr in somewhat of the UK dream match. Lionheart won to set up a final showdown with Greg Burridge the next day, a result telegraphed by the promotion when they had the DVD cover, showing Lionheart vs. Burridge on the cover, available for pre-order on night one. The next night in Queensferry, Lionheart beat Burridge to lift the belt, joining his fellow Scots in turning heel. Of course, the promotion was to shut up shop soon after, with Lionheart never having the chance to defend the belt.

Other English appearances have included Triple Team Promotions in Cumbria, Complete Revolutionary Wrestling in Tyne-and-Wear and New Generation Wrestling in Hull.

What did the UKFF think?

"It's bloody Lionheart - great look, great performer"

"Awesome"

"He puts 110% into matches"

"Impressive and talented, he has made a great start to 2011 winning the 1PW belt, and his performance at TNA against Jeff Jarrett was superb"

"Looks to be coming into his own. Won the 1PW title with great match over Darren Burridge. Wrestled Jeff Jarrett on the TNA tour and looks to be going from strength-to-strength"

"He is still the man in Scottish wrestling and seems to be untouchable in the 'it' factor"

"He has been a top star for a few years now, as shown with his TNA call up for the tour. Maybe starting to peak, but that's not a bad thing as he always delivers"

"Lionheart has become so good that I'm surprised TNA didn't take him. I saw him at 1PW against Desmond Wolfe and was so surprised at how well he did. He's always on top up in Scotland, but seeing him against bigger names like Jeff Jarrett has proved how well he can transition. I'm currently loving the Lionheart and Wolfgang tag team"

"Another great year, working and known all over UK, also had a great match on the TNA tour with Jarrett"

"Top Scottish talent who I've seen have great matches against Havoc (in CRW) and Jack Jester (in PBW). Not to forget his moment in the spotlight facing off against Jeff Jarrett when TNA were in Scotland"

"Appears to have a star quality presence about him, just seeing him advertised has me believing that will be show of the month in British wrestling. Excellent heel turn at 1PW and much better on the mic than I would have thought"

"A natural champion"

"Most 'superstar' of anyone else in Scotland"

"The biggest star in Scottish Wrestling by far, the best all round from in ring to promos, it is now clear to see the influence he has on the stars of the future. Should get a WWE tryout or TNA contract before the end of next year"

"Got a shot with TNA, still looks the part, and still one of the best wrestlers in the country, had a cracker of a feud with Chris Renfrew"

"brilliant in the big matches. There haven't been many matches in Scotland better than his with BT Gunn over the last 12 months and it's still the best match of 2011 up here"

• Paid Members

No. 16 - Mad Man Manson

Score: 256 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 1

2010 ranking: 25th

(2009=21st; 2008=28th; 2007=22nd; 2006=NL; 2005=NL)

mansona.jpg

Irish funnyman makes his highest ever appearance in the UKFF UK50, a lofty 16th, having finished in the 20s in each of the previous 4 years. As well as appearing for Dynamic Pro Wrestling and Shooting Star Wrestling in West Yorkshire, the 2011 UKFF UK50 period has seen Manson enjoy a lengthy main event run for All Star Wrestling across the country. It should also be pointed out that this is not the same Mad Man Manson that is currently enjoying a run in Puerto Rico for WWC...

Manson had formed a team with an initially reluctant Martin Kirby in DPW, as a direct result of coming out the winner in their series of matches. Embarking on an unlikely quest for the tag gold in the promotion, Manson and Kirby first beat House of Pain products Dave Breaks and Paul Malen in September 2010 to advance in the tournament to crown the first DPW Tag Team Champions. The odd-couple's semi-final bout took place in February, when they booked a place in the championship match by virtue of their win over SC Supreme and Zack Diamond. The title tournament reached it's conclusion at DPW's "Three Years Old!" event in Pontefract in April. There, Manson and Kirby fought another pair of former rivals in El Ligero and Bingo Ballance. Now a fully-functioning tag team unit, Manson and Kirby scored the win and took home the titles. The pair's first defence came in May, when they beat the father-son combination of Keith and Ryan Myatt in Ossett.

As mentioned above, Manson has also been presented as a headliner for Brian Dixon's colourful touring All Star Wrestling promotion. In main event singles bouts, the daft lunatic has faced and defeated Johnny Midnight, Viking Warrior and Joseph Conners, as well as beating T-Bone in repeated headline matches up and down the country.

Finally, if anyone hasn't seen it, here is

What did the UKFF think?

"The person who knows his gimmick the best in the UK, and is great at his job"

"Never fails to be entertaining"

"Great entertainer and all round class act"

"Wildly entertaining, brilliant comic relief on a show"

"I would take a Manson match over any stand-up comedian in this country. Absolutely comical"

"A lot of people may have seen the Mad Man Manson match but every single time there is always tweaks and is every improving. Always nice to have on the undercard to break up the more serious bouts"

"One of the best if not the best comedy wrestler in the world right now"

"The comedy value of his matches ia always fun to see and he is a good wrestler"

"Simply the funniest man in British wrestling"

"The guy hardly has to bump, such is the power of his fantastic gimmick. Manson is comedy wrestling at its finest"

"Stuff in DPW with Kirby has been brilliant this year"

"Easily the most entertaining wrestler in the UK today and has a very versatile audience. If I had to take a friend to their first show in this country it would have to be a show with him on the card"

"A gifted entertainer"

"Constantly hilarious"

"The more I've seen the more I've enjoyed him and appreciate what he does so well"

"A big hit with fans with his comedy style of wrestling. The guy is also a good wrester. Knows how to work a crowd well. Haven't seen him have a bad match. You know you're going to get an entertaining match with this guy"

"Funny, funny motherfucker"

"Always brings a bit of life and variety to shows which can be laden with to many guys trying to put on 5 star matches. Being an individual and bringing the entertainment to the shows makes Manson stand out"

"Entertaining at every card he's on. Pure brilliance"

"All ways gets a reaction from a crowd, the best at his gimmick in the UK and probably in a lot of the independent leagues from around the country"

"maybe a bit one dimensional in style, but does that style better than anyone in the world"

"Could make a staring contest with a stuffed dear funny. Always over and makes moolah"

• Paid Members

2011 Top 15:

(alphabetical order):

Dave Mastiff

El Ligero

Jack Gallagher

James Mason

Joel Redman

Joey Hayes

Johnny Moss

Kris Travis

Mark Haskins

Martin Kirby

Marty Scurll

Mikey Whiplash

Rockstar Spud

Stixx

Zack Sabre Jr

Gallagher still to make his first ever UKFF UK50 appearance, somewhere in the Top 15. Whiplash and Mason have never featured in the Top 20 before this year.

Archived