2011 UKFF UK50 - RESULTS THREAD

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members
I'd imagine there are quite a few. RJ Singh, for one. And I think Mastiff, Spud, The Kartel may have been in every list so far. And there's probably quite a few more.

Edit- beaten to it, but yeah, as I thought.

So Sha Samuels didn't make the top 50 this year????

Sha is in the 50 this year. He didn't make it in 2005, though.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No. 38 - Valkabious

Score: 135 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 2

2010 ranking: 37th

(2009=NL; 2008=NL; 2007=NL; 2006=NL; 2005=NL)

mvkx.jpg

Known as "MVK" ("Most Valuable Killer"), Valkabious reaches the UKFF UK50 for the second time, retaining virtually the same position as he did in the rankings last year. Finishing on the exact same points total as Behnam Ali, Valkabious takes the higher ranking due to earning more 1st place rankings (2) than Ali (0).

Over the course of the last 12 months, MVK has continued to appear for GNP/NBW in the South Yorkshire/Derbyshire region, locking horns with THE BIG DOG RAINZ, Kris Travis, 'Diamond' Dave Andrews, Chris Holmes, Ollertank, SURF GRAFFITI and others, including winning a rumble in September. As well as becoming a "Sky TV star" by being a regular member of the UKW roster, Valkabious got to face international talent on 1PW's latest last ever weekend of shows, fighting former WWE, WCW, ECW and TNA star Kid Kash back in May.

In the upstart Cambridgeshire-based SOUTHSIDE promotion, MVK has been consistently presented as a main event level star. Back in October, he downed Martin Kirby in the main event to become the first ever SOUTHSIDE Champion, following up by beating Prince Ameen in an impromptu first defence immediately after. From there, MVK got into a back-and-forth YouTube promo war with Greg (Darren/Baxter) Burridge, culminating in them going to war in the falls-count-anywhere main event of the February show. After seeing off Burridge, the May show featured a rather bizarre headline contest of MVK defending against veteran British performer Dave Taylor, Valkabious using rather dubious tactics to gain the victory. MVK is rematch with Burridge in September as the feud continues, with the winner defending against T-Bone 2 months later.

While all of this was going on, Valkabious also made his Premier British Wrestling debut up in Scotland, immediately injected into the main event title scene with an unsuccessful June challenge to PBW Champion BT Gunn in Dumbarton.

What did the UKFF think?

"Has a very good look that one of the big fish may one day take notice of"

"Has enough ability that he should earn himself a contract stateside, if he gets his promos up to the same level he’ll be unstoppable"

"big guy who brings great look to British wrestling, still new into scene but looks brutal in everything he does. Getting plenty of work this year and so on top of an outstanding show in 2011, 2012 should be the year of Valkabious"

• Paid Members

No. 37 - Joseph Conners

Score: 137 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 0

2010 ranking: 50th

(2009=NL; 2008=NL; 2007=NL; 2006=NL; 2005=NL)

conners.jpg

Give it some GRRRR, lad

Following his UKFF UK50 debut last year, House of Pain's "Special Edition" Joe Conners rises 13 places in the rankings this year, following a busy 12 months across the Midlands and north of England. As well as being known as a singles wrestler, Conners can also be founded tagging with fellow Stixx protege Paul Malen as "The Predators". This year, he has seen action for GNP/NBW, XCWA, RPW, BAWA and more.

Though he had appeared for the promotion before, the 2011 UKFF UK50 period has seen Conners become a regular member of the New Generation Wrestling roster up in Hull. Following up a tag victory (with SC Supreme) over Danny V and Avian at the "2nd Anniversary Show", Conners went on to face Avian and Stixx in singles bouts, before he and Malen beat Avian and Matt Myers in the first round of NGW's tag team title tournament in April.

Elsewhere, Conners and Malen beat Flash Morgan and Pete Dunne for the West Midlands-based Phoenix Pro Wrestling in June, and then returned to attack both competitors in the main event bout between El Ligero and Jonny Storm, establishing them as the top bad guys in the promotion. Over in Northamptonshire, "Special Edition" beat Matt Champion for the new Showtime Championship Wrestling, before entering the tournament to crown the promotion's first champion. Conners beat "Diamond" Dave Andrews in the first round in March, putting him into the one-night final 4. Taking place after the end of the 2011 UKFF UK50 period, Conners first beat his regular partner Malen in his semi final, but then lost to well-respected James Mason in the main event tournament final for the gold.

What did the UKFF think?

"I've been hugely impressed with the continuing improvement of Joe over the past few years and he has made his biggest jumps in the last 12 months. Beginning to get the look to go with his solid skills both in the ring and on the mic. Match for RPW in April against Malen was brilliant"

"Awesome up and coming talent"

"Majorly under rated heel, great on the microphone, and seen him in great performances against James Mason, Mad Man Manson & Stixx to name a few"

"Turning into a really good heel"

"someone who finally seems to be getting the recognition he deserves; hoping for a more advanced UKFF position for him this year, at least in the mid-twenties. Can work as a full-on heel but can effectively play up to the comedy style, as shown in various showings with Mad Man Manson this year. Great team with Paul Malen also. They look like brothers!"

"Reminds me of Arn Anderson in the way he gives his opponents so much to get them over too"

"Will turn heads in the next year, great on the mic and very solid in the ring"

"Plays a fantastic heel, who's instantly dislikable. Plays off against Paul Malen superbly in The Predators"

"The best on the mic that i've seen in the last year. Really intense and believable character and great with the crowd, two stand-out promos were at HOP towards the end of last year during the Malen turn and at PPW in June. Added to that he is very good in the ring too."

"Seen as the lesser half of The Predators tag team with Paul Malen, but if he is it is not by much. Great on the mic and a skilled wring general. One of the unsung rising stars of the UK scene"

"Excellent at building heat"

"Shown a ton of character the past year, both in singles matches and as a tag team guy with Paul Malen"

"It's always a pleaser to see Conners on a show, always entertains and leaves me in awe, and his team with Malen is gold"

"Brilliant crowd work. Hated as soon as he walks through the curtain. Improving every month too. His Predators tag team with Malen has huge potential"

"Deserves to be higher than his 50th ranking last year, solid worker and one of my favourite UK heels"

"Joe has also been one of my favourite workers of the past year. Stepping out of the shadows of some of his peers now, great heel and great mic work. Backs it up too with in ring skills"

• Paid Members

No. 36 - Terry Frazier

Score: 140 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 2

2010 ranking: 23rd

(2009=17th; 2008=23rd; 2007=45th; 2006=17th; 2005=44th)

terryq.jpg

Model-good looks (Photo - "Big" Rob Brazier)

One of the 7 ever-presents in the UKFF UK50 (i.e. he has featured in the rankings in all 7 years the project has been running), "Mean Machine" Terry Frazier settles into a mid-table finish this year, almost-median to his previous 6 placings. Formerly best known for being part of East End rogue tag team The Kartel with Sha Samuels, this marks the first complete UKFF UK50 year in which Terry has been predominantly a singles wrestler.

Following partner Samuels' betrayal through jealousy earlier in the year, the former Kartel partners went to war in Kent-based IPW:UK. The pair fought to an out-of-control no-contest at 'Unfinished Business 2010', so they were rematched in August for a No-DQ bout at the "Sixth Anniversary Show" in August. After another mega-heated, super-intense and incredibly wild encounter, Sha was awarded the victory when the referee deemed Terry unable to continue following an attack with a steel baton. At 'Make or Break' 2 months later, the feuding pair were allowed to name their rival's opponent for the night. Terry was matched with the notoriously violent Zebra Kid, returning to IPW:UK for the first time in a number of years. Samuels' interference saw Frazier fall in defeat, leading to another crazy brawl to lead straight into Sha's match with Terry's hand-picked Martin Stone.

Frazier and Samuels continued to interfere in each others' matches in December, when Sha's distraction caused Terry to be eliminated from the annual 'Brawl at the Hall' elimination tag match against The New Thrillers. Terry returned to attack Sha during his rival's British Title shot at Dave Mastiff later that night, causing that bout to be thrown out and costing Sha his chance at the belt.

All of this built to the climatic feud-ending "I Quit" match between the two at 'No Escape', the first show of 2011. The dramatic and emotional thriller tore up the Sittingbourne venue, before Terry gained the upper hand and beat down his former friend with a chair to the point he could not continue. However, Terry grabbed the microphone and announced that he wanted to be finished with Sha, he wanted this to be the end, and he wanted them to move on with their own separate individual careers, so he quit to finally draw a line under the situation, have nothing more to do with Samuels and bring the feud to a close.

Frazier's post-feud IPW:UK career started in May at the 'Sittingbourne Spectacular', coming the same weekend as Pro Wrestling NOAH's 2011 UK tour. Frazier beat NOAH's US guest Bobby Fish in a good contest, only to be attacked afterwards by T-Bone, making a statement in IPW:UK. It was later revealed that T-Bone had entered an alliance with Rockstar Spud and the new IPW:UK British Heavyweight Champion.... Sha Samuels. As such, while Terry and T-Bone continue to feud into the second half of 2011, Frazier may yet be forced to do what he never wanted to do again and confront his former partner across the ring...

Away from IPW:UK, Frazier can also be seen having fun under the mask of El Pirano, the 'luchador' who competes for the carnival-like Lucha Libre Britannia.

What did the UKFF think?

"His match with Bobby Fish at the IPW show was very underrated, and his heel gimmick at Lucha Britannia is one of the maddest I’ve seen in a while"

"He seems to be one of the hardest working wrestlers in the UK today"

"He slowly drifts, drifts away. I hope he stays but he makes moolah elsewhere"

"His feud with Sha was the best thing in IPW:UK, really gave you something to care about"

"Only seen him have good matches this year – had a good year in IPW with a quality feud-ender with Sha Samuels. Psychology is always there as well as all the little things that make his matches interesting, no wasted movement etc. etc. Also shown a completely different side at the Lucha Britannia shows as El Parano, which is awesome to watch!"

"Bit of an unsung hero in IPW:UK. The 'I Quit' match with Sha was a doozy"

Good to see Zack Diamond has been noticed, he should climb the rankings fast now that he's being used by a wider range of promotions.

He does actually originate from the Runcorn Wrestling Academy though, was at it a while before his Futureshock debut.

• Paid Members
As far as I know, he was originally trained by Andy Baker and debuted for the latters' Runcorn Wrestling Academy at least two years before he first stepped foot in a FutureShock ring.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me...

nice write ups, too - diamond came / comes from the RWA school originally, though

Yep...okay...noted....

Good to see Zack Diamond has been noticed, he should climb the rankings fast now that he's being used by a wider range of promotions.

He does actually originate from the Runcorn Wrestling Academy though, was at it a while before his Futureshock debut.

:rolleyes:

On a more serious note, it's back to it tonight with the latest batch being revealed.

Archived