What makes someone officially a pro wrestler?

the stupid dragon

Though if people are willing to watch what's the problem dude?

but people arnt willing iv never met anyone that thinks lets go to that shit wrestling. They see wrestling and think lets go. You never see written on posters most of are roster are shite but still come and watch. And i have heard loads of people come out of shit shows and say thats shit lets not go back

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A pro wrestler is someone that wrestles for money, as opposed to someone that wrestles for fun.

If someone would not be willing to travel to pick up their wrestling pay if it was nailed to a tree and they didn't have to wrestle for it, they're a professional wrestler.

So have we actually come to any conclusions of what makes someone a pro wrestler then? We've certainly discussed what doesn't make you a pro wrestler!

Yes. It's someone who makes a living out of wrestling. At 50 quid a show for the average UK wrestler, I would imagine the number of actual pro wrestlers in the country is very, very small.

• Paid Members

I thought the term "pro wrestler" was just a term that fits, rather than a term thats true. Like how Fred Ottman wasnt really a sailor put pretended to be because perception is reality and its better than saying he's a bloke who stamps on the ground and throws his arm at a persons back. I was always under the impression its all bollocks anyway, and it was just a title a wrestler is given.

I would imagine the term was to differentiate between amateur / collegiate wrestlers and those earning money by having bouts, originally shoots, and later works. I dont think there would have needed to be any other term to describe the pros as all will have been professional ie paid. Nowadays any fuckwit who has bumped thinks they are a professional wrestler and if you arent paid you arent a pro, youre a mark playing at being a wrestler, whether that be in a backyard, a social club, a sports centre or anywhere else. Professional means paid, I dont think I would ever accept any other definiton of a professional, wrestler or otherwise.

Lads breaking into the business as trainees may need to work some shows unpaid initially but all should be able to get paid jobs in time, if you cant you arent a pro. How can anyone think they are being booked for their talent if they arent being paid. That would be how they measure their worth surely, at least I believe that.

If someone would not be willing to travel to pick up their wrestling pay if it was nailed to a tree and they didn't have to wrestle for it, they're a professional wrestler.

Dude, that makes absolutely no sense!!!

There seems to be a lot of empathis on monitary matters in what makes someone a pro wrestler and hardly any about the passion. I agree there are very few wrestlers who make a full time living from it. Though there are a lot of wrestlers who don't get paid at all yet wrestle perfectly good matches on professional shows where the promoters charge money for people to see (which the audience don't walk away disapointed). Not because the wrestlers are being exploited, but because the company can't break even, and the wrestlers do it because it's their passion and it helps fund the company.

Dude, that makes absolutely no sense!!!

There seems to be a lot of empathis on monitary matters in what makes someone a pro wrestler and hardly any about the passion. I agree there are very few wrestlers who make a full time living from it. Though there are a lot of wrestlers who don't get paid at all yet wrestle perfectly good matches on professional shows where the promoters charge money for people to see (which the audience don't walk away disapointed). Not because the wrestlers are being exploited, but because the company can't break even, and the wrestlers do it because it's their passion and it helps fund the company.

those wrestlers are not professional wrestlers, they are hobbyist wrestlers

Surely it's purely a title to differentate it from amateur wrestling. It's a type of wrestling. Literally it means to get paid. But not in this sense. They couldn't call it predetermined wresting and you graduate from amaeur to pro so it gave it thr feeling of being better and the suggestion through literal meaning of getting paid. So a true proifessional wrestler is a professional "professional wrestler"

Surely they were always paid though and its only more recently wrestlers have started to do it without payment or a purse to claim. Admittedly, this is more of an assumption than any kind of fact

Archived