What makes someone officially a pro wrestler?

the stupid dragon

I know that BWC have a training scheme, whereby you pass certain stages and recieve certificates with pass, merit and distinction grades. Though do training schools hand out certificates with legitimate qualifications, which you can show to other professional wrestling organisations? I can't imagine that would be a good idea with the amount of bitching in this countries scene. Surely getting bookings work by word of mouth and networking. Though what stage do you have to be at where you can call yourself a professional wrestler? A lot of wrestlers don't make ANY money from wrestling and a lot of wrestlers who have decent matches havent spent thousands of pounds going through two years of intesive training, yet still get bookings.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real wrestlers don't work for free and they sure as hell don't pay to be on shows. Though it may be true that a lot of legitimate wrestlers don't make a lot of money doing what they do they'll still get paid for performing, even if it's not a particularly lofty sum. I assume that trainees on trainee shows don't get paid, but that's a different thing. To cut a long story short; you're not a professional wrestler if you're not getting paid and if you are a wrestler who does work for free, or god forbid pays for spots on shows, then you're a mark.

• Paid Members
Its very simple. If you are hired and paid to wrestle on a show, you are technically a professional wrestler.

After that, it would be up to people's ego as to whether they subjectively consider themselves (or others) as a pro wrestler.

Pretty much what my definition would be.

Sorry i disagree, in my days when i was wrestling I saw many people who called themselves ' pro wrestlers' (don't get me wrong, they DID get paid) but they only ever had like three matches in total. Now would you really call that a professional wrestler?

When I was training with Tex Benidect (around 2007-8) it was then that he only started to class himself as a professional, due to the fact that he was just starting for get regular work.

So in my opinion, until you've been working fluently for at least a year MINIMUM (and paid) you can't call yourself a professional wrestler.

• Paid Members
You've wrestled professionally if you've been paid for a match. You're a professional wrestler if it's your main source of income.

I'm affraid I have to disagree with you here Lister. If someone is regularly being paid to work (and by that I mean a wage, not just ex's) whether it's their main source of income or not. I dunno what constitutes regular, I'd say that's a matter of opinion, but my opinion would be more than once a month, probably in the weekly mark.

• Paid Members
I'd class that as semi-professional, in the same way as a footballer would be.

I certainly couldn't argue against that, but it's not a description you hear very often in relation to wrestling.

Hey Vito,

Real wrestlers don't work for free and they sure as hell don't pay to be on shows. Though it may be true that a lot of legitimate wrestlers don't make a lot of money doing what they do they'll still get paid for performing, even if it's not a particularly lofty sum. I assume that trainees on trainee shows don't get paid, but that's a different thing. To cut a long story short; you're not a professional wrestler if you're not getting paid and if you are a wrestler who does work for free, or god forbid pays for spots on shows, then you're a mark.

I never said anything about people paying to be put on shows. Where the fuck has this come from???

Semi-Professional is a slippery slope, I know a fair few backyarders-with-a-wrestling-ring who refer to themselves as "semi-professional wrestlers".

Who exactly are you talking about?

Its very simple. If you are hired and paid to wrestle on a show, you are technically a professional wrestler.

After that, it would be up to people's ego as to whether they subjectively consider themselves (or others) as a pro wrestler.

You've wrestled professionally if you've been paid for a match. You're a professional wrestler if it's your main source of income.

This links in with my thread about why pro wrestling is called pro wrestling. It was discussed that you CAN be an amateur pro wrestler.

funny this topic has popped up I have just opsted a vid on my opinions on this matter:

Who the fuck is Renfrew? He sounds like a backyarder trying to get bookings himself. He goes on this angry-know-it-all-rant then finishes by saying, I've been a fan since I was five so that gives me a pretty good opinion. I didn't think he said anything no one hasn't been saying lately. The arrogant Scotch git!

Archived