What makes someone officially a pro wrestler?

the stupid dragon

You've wrestled professionally if you've been paid for a match. You're a professional wrestler if it's your main source of income.

That's it exactly.

I was a semi-professional musician for years - I made about 1/2 of my income directly from music, and the rest from temp jobs. If I had ever solely made a living from music, I would have been classed as a professional musician.

On that basis, there can't be that many true professional wrestlers in the country - maybe a couple of dozen? If the average UK wrestler makes, let's say,

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dear UKFF, I have decided to hang up my wrestling boots (and kendo stick) as Stupid Dragon doesn't know who I am and without the support of the UKFF the whole wrestling scene would crumble and burn. And to answer your question Stupid Dragon, I am your new hero ;)

You seem to be taking me on as a special case. Don't take anything I say personally. Who am I to judge you? I am just a poster on a pretty obscure forum.

Anyway, Renfrew, whilist I've got your attention, do you have any videos of you in the ring you could post on here?

Also I'd like to ask you, lets face it, learning the basics of pro wrestling isn't that complicated or difficult, so why don't you think someone could call themself a pro wrestler if they hire their own ring and put on their own shows? Those sort of companies can produce some pretty good talent.

lets face it, learning the basics of pro wrestling isn't that complicated or difficult, so why don't you think someone could call themself a pro wrestler if they hire their own ring and put on their own shows? Those sort of companies can produce some pretty good talent.

Even if I completely agreed with you about learning the basics being "easy" (which I don't) that doesn't mean you get to call yourself a "Professional Wrestler" in the true sense just because you have learnt basic bumps and chain-wrestling. Learning the absolute basics of anything probably isn't too hard (unless we are talking "basic brain-surgery" or something silly) but it takes a lot more than that to be good enough to call yourself a "pro" !

I trained for about a year (yonks ago) and if I turned up at one of those "hire your own ring, wrestle for free, use only your friends and charge

Also I'd like to ask you, lets face it, learning the basics of pro wrestling isn't that complicated or difficult, so why don't you think someone could call themself a pro wrestler if they hire their own ring and put on their own shows? Those sort of companies can produce some pretty good talent.

That's called playing at being a Pro Wrestler...

Calling yourself a Professional Wrestler in that case is no different to calling yourself a Professional Footballer after sticking two goals in your garden, inviting 21 mates round and charging people money to watch the ensuing Football match....

• Moderators
You seem to be taking me on as a special case. Don't take anything I say personally. Who am I to judge you? I am just a poster on a pretty obscure forum.

Anyway, Renfrew, whilist I've got your attention, do you have any videos of you in the ring you could post on here?

Stop being a prick.

Two different examples of matches from Renfrew...

If ye search for Chris Renfrew on the Google Vids you actually get a good amount of other stuff too. I'm just picking what I think are two very different examples of his work.

Sorry man, Renfrew isn't that amazing. He executes his moves really well and he's certainly no backyarder, but he's so generic, which considering he criticised the WWE for producing guys who all look the same, made him look even more mediocre. Also I couldn't understand most of what he said due to his thick Scottish accent, he sounded like Rab C. Nesbit. I have to say though he got the crowd going fairly well, though for him to come on here and talk like he's Chris Jericho or Randy Orton is a bit over doing it.

Oh and Renfrew, I can name Heath Slater's finishing move, it's an inverted DDT. I mean, he's "The One Man Rock Band" after all. Though no, in all seriousness, he his quite lame, boring and forgettable.

Stop being a prick.

How am I being a prick? I am just giving my opinion and asking questions.

Sorry man, Renfrew isn't that amazing. He executes his moves really well and he's certainly no backyarder, but he's so generic, which considering he criticised the WWE for producing guys who all look the same, made him look even more mediocre.

Fair enough. I never said he was "amazing". He is someone who appears to polarize opinion so I'm not surprised you don't think he's great shakes. I said he was very entertaining and I'd say there's a big difference between that and thinking someone is amazing. I DO think he's decent enough to take the piss out of backyarders and shitarses though.

I have to say though he got the crowd going fairly well, though for him to come on here and talk like he's Chris Jericho or Randy Orton is a bit over doing it.

Talk like he's Jericho or Orton? Even though he was going on and saying "I'm not a professional wrestler"? Okay then.

Sorry man, Renfrew isn't that amazing. He executes his moves really well and he's certainly no backyarder, but he's so generic, which considering he criticised the WWE for producing guys who all look the same, made him look even more mediocre. Also I couldn't understand most of what he said due to his thick Scottish accent, he sounded like Rab C. Nesbit. I have to say though he got the crowd going fairly well, though for him to come on here and talk like he's Chris Jericho or Randy Orton is a bit over doing it.

Oh and Renfrew, I can name Heath Slater's finishing move, it's an inverted DDT. I mean, he's "The One Man Rock Band" after all. Though no, in all seriousness, he his quite lame, boring and forgettable.

watched both videos they are ok the only problem i had was in the second one he got hit on the back of the head then bladed the front (i think he bladed he went under the ring then when he came back up he was bleeding) but i dont think ppl there would of seen it just cos the camrea guy was right in front of him

• Paid Members

You know exactly what you're doing, saying things such as "lets face it, learning the basics of pro wrestling isn't that complicated or difficult" which is clearly aimed at trying to a negative reaction out of people. Just like you do in so many other threads. I suspect you know far more than you let on and just like to be a dick.

Talk like he's Jericho or Orton? Even though he was going on and saying "I'm not a professional wrestler"? Okay then.

I meant because he was pompous in thinking he was somehow well known, and therfore his opinion was of some merit. If Orton or Jericho made a video blog of their current opinions about wrestling, it would hold a lot of weight and people would listen and take on board everything they say. Where as I really get the feeling Renfrew thinks he's a lot more than what he is.

nobody even knows who this person is.

My point exactly!

Archived