Strikeforce: Fedor vs Henderson Discussion Thread

David

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

two of my favourite fighters of all time in the main event, ill be rooting for Fedor though, the guy's legacy has taken a f'n battering online this last year (somewhat unfairly in my opinion) so i'd love to see him pull out some vintage Fedor. I think it's gonna be a great fight, i give Fedor the advantage on the feet but if it stays there i think that if it stays there Fedor's going to have to take Henerson's right hand at some point and i aint sure i want to see the results of that.

Very hard fight to predict though, one guy's career is apparently on the decline whilst Henderson is looking as good as he has in years. I'll take Fedor via decision, but i aint confident about that.

I think Woodley will dominate Daley, Woodley's comments in the post above might not be what the fans want to hear in a Paul Daley fight but Woodley's gotta be realistic and i think he's got a clear path to victory if he choses to do so. Woodley decision.

Tarec Saffediene is going to school Scott Smith. I'm a Smith fan because anyone who enters the cage and demonstrates the heart he has will always get my respect but his technical short-comings are becoming more apparent these days and i think that's where Tarec will have the advantage. I'll have Saffediene by one-sided decision, which might shock a few people.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

oh, im hoping Robbie Lawler will land one on Tim Kennedy. I liked Kennedy until recently when a few of his online comments and his constant insistence on throwing his military background down everyone's throat, think the guy needs a bit of a humbling. I actually think Kennedy will win this, but i'd love to see Lawler do it.

• Paid Members

Yeah that GI Joe shit is grating on me too. Same with Brian Stann bit it's more Rogan and Goldberg banging on about it moreso than Stann that's annoying me there. Kennedy won't shut up about it. That combined with the fact I'm a a Lawler fan means I'm rooting for Ruthless Robbie in this one.

Seriously, if they love the military so much why are they not still there?

• Paid Members

Stann doesn't bother me so much, he just comes across as a guy that i think genuinely's sincere about the whole situation. He's a great spokesperson for the both the UFC an the armed force.

Kennedy just rubs me the wrong way a little, it seems more like a 'the military > everything else' kind of thing. What summed it up was his tweet towards Kurt Pellegrino when he announced his retirement, Batman posted something about needing to retire to spend more time with his family and concentrate on his gym and Kennedy bashed him about it, saying that soliders sacrificed more than MMA fighters, it just seemed so off the point and ridiculous.

Fuck Kennedy.

Stann doesn't bother me so much, he just comes across as a guy that i think genuinely's sincere about the whole situation. He's a great spokesperson for the both the UFC an the armed force.

Kennedy just rubs me the wrong way a little, it seems more like a 'the military > everything else' kind of thing. What summed it up was his tweet towards Kurt Pellegrino when he announced his retirement, Batman posted something about needing to retire to spend more time with his family and concentrate on his gym and Kennedy bashed him about it, saying that soliders sacrificed more than MMA fighters, it just seemed so off the point and ridiculous.

Fuck Kennedy.

Agreed fully.

Stann seems like one of the nicest guys in the sport and is very humble about his ex-career, plus he is probably the best guest analyst in MMA aswell - superb knowledge/understanding of the sport.

Kennedy is just a dick.

• Paid Members

Never knew about the Kennedy/Pellegrino Twitter stuff. Never been much of a fan of Pellegrino but I hope he told Kennedy to fuck himself.

Stann's not so bad but the way Goldberg and Rogan keep harping on the Marines stuff throughout every fight he has irritates the balls off me for some reason. Sick of hearing it. I think every fucker who watches MMA now knows he was in the marines.

Stann himself seems a decent enough guy but I do think he's a tad overrated after the Leben and Santiago fights. Nothing against Stann but I think he's gonna have a miserable night against Sonnen. It's the worst style match at 185 they could've given him imo.

One thing on these US Marines/Action Man fighters though, I would love to see either of them vs Michael Bisping as a main event either on a Tribute to the Troops show or a UK event. How fucking mental would the crowd be for that? Be like MMA's Bret vs Shawn in Montreal :D

I think Woodley will dominate Daley, Woodley's comments in the post above might not be what the fans want to hear in a Paul Daley fight but Woodley's gotta be realistic and i think he's got a clear path to victory if he choses to do so. Woodley decision.

Yeah, it's no secret how to defeat Daley and where his weaknesses lie, and there is no way Woodley will stand with him. This is a terrible match up for Semtex, and I've got Woodley grinding out a decision.

• Paid Members

Ariel Helwani's got a good interview with Woodley up

here it is

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/07/27/tyro...im-straight-to/

Daley's has pretty much a punchers chance and nowt else as far as I'm concerned. He did show glimpses of improvement in his takedown defence against Koscheck but it wasn't enough then and I don't think it will be now. Jorge Masvidal was taking down Daley without too much hassle and he's a natural lightweight and not the wrestler Woodley is. Nightmare match up for Daley.

Oh and Helwani's got a bunch of interviews up here http://www.youtube.com/user/ArielHelwani#p/u Interviews with Fedor, Hendo, Daley, Lawler, Coenen, Tate, Coker the lot.

• Paid Members

On Fedor vs Hendo, I voted Fedor by decision. I really don't know which way this is going and it's a bit of a shot in the dark.

They have a similar style of striking, just winging full power bombs without much technique and the grappling will be interesting with Hendo's greco and Fedor's sambo. If it goes to the ground though I give Fedor the edge slightly. He's got some very good submissions, particularly armbars which Hendo has had problems with in the past. If it stays on the feet I might lean towards Hendo simply because I feel he has a slightly better chin and Fedor gets hit a lot and cuts easy.

Fedor's looking in better shape than he has in a long time and he's actually fighting a smaller opponent for the first time in years.

It's a toss up which is what makes this a fascinating fight. It's pretty much the closest we'll ever get to that Fedor/Randy fight, this maybe more interesting because Hendo offers the threat of a KO which Randy wouldn't have. And Hendo has a granite chin. Can't wait.

Dana White quote on the fight

"Listen, I'm not out to hurt Fedor, or hurt any fighter. People ask me my opinions, I give you my opinion on what I think about a fighter ... I'm in the fight business, and I think that I know a little bit about the fight business. I've been in it since I was 19. And I'm going to have my opinions on fighters, just like you sports reporters or the fans, you know? Sometimes I'm right, and sometimes I'm wrong. I didn't think that Kimbo Slice could win The Ultimate Fighter. I thought the Fedor hype was ridiculous. And the people who were really as great people as he thought he was weren't getting their dues, you know ... If I've got to still give Fedor his digs, my dig would be, 'Dude, you're fighting a 185-pounder.' Henderson's got a great chin, he's durable, he's got good wrestling, he can stay out of submissions, and all the great things I can say about Henderson, but Henderson weighs 185 pounds. So I actually think this fight, as far as Fedor is concerned, it's a lose-lose for him. If he knocks out Dan Henderson, he knocks out a 185-pounder. If he gets knocked out, he just got knocked out by a 185-pounder."

He's saying that but he was fine with the size difference for Brock vs Randy, Brock was like 2 of Randy. Fedor and Hendo are pretty close in size. I like Dana but bollocks to him on this, he's not gonna kill my excitement for this fight :p

• Paid Members

If Henderson wins this do you think he'll rightly take his place besides Randy Couture & Chuck Liddell as one of the greats of US MMA? Henderson arguably has achieved more than both yet he never seems to be put on that same pedestal.

If Henderson wins this do you think he'll rightly take his place besides Randy Couture & Chuck Liddell as one of the greats of US MMA? Henderson arguably has achieved more than both yet he never seems to be put on that same pedestal.

I dont think so

A lot of Hendo's biggest wins have come against fighters on the downfall and he has a lot of questionable points wins.

A lot of people do not think he beat Franklin and his victory over Big Nog years ago is meant to be a bit dodgy. Plus in his biggest fights he has come up short more often than not. He lost to Rampage, Silva and Sheilds which were 3 of his biggest fights. He has never really dominated and been the clear best in the divison's he has fought in either. He almost was the best MW in 2006 until he lost in a rematch to Misaki and could only sqeak a win over a aging Murilo Bustamante.

Even when he beat Wanderlai, which is his biggest win, I would say people still had Liddel and Rampage ahead of him at the time at 205. Liddel dominated 205 for 2 years and Couture won more big time fights, the wins over Liddel (close to his prime), Tito (prime), Gonzaga and Sylvia are the stuff of legend.

Hendo is a Hall of Famer mind, but I doubt even with a win on Saturday, people will see him on the same pedastal as those two.

I was just thinking last night that I viewed him as being up there with Couture and that I hope he wins this fight. I think some like myself may give him those props but the majority won't. But lets see what happens with that as time rolls on.

• Paid Members
Hendo is a Hall of Famer mind, but I doubt even with a win on Saturday, people will see him on the same pedastal as those two.

i think Hendo's up there though, being a two division champion in Pride, a Grand Prix champion, the Rings King of Kings Champion, Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion. You can't really argue against them credentials. Henderson's time at the the top surpasses Liddell's. Liddell might have had a great streak 04-06 but Henderson has never had that career end slump that Chuck suffered.

His success in bouncing between weight divisions has been as succesful as Randy's too. If Henderson defeats Fedor that'll mean he's gone through 3 divisions and beaten a top guy in every one.

It's so hard to break down records and say what is better but i think when people look back at the top American MMA fighters from the original period of the sport Dan Henderson has to sit near the top....fuck, give it 2-3 years and we might be saying he was the best, Henderson's got a couple of fights left in him yet.

Archived