Kurt Angle/Benoit feud

humanracer

• Paid Members
Always wondered but why was their first feud so boring yet their second was brilliant?

Because you touch yourself at night.

I preferred the first one. I really liked their match at WrestleMania, but I don't remember much of the rematches and the medal-stealing thing seemed like old hat even then (let alone when Austin did it to Angle about three months later). Their 2002-2003 feud came when I wasn't watching wrestling every week and had more of a life, I saw a few of their Smackdown matches and wasn't blown away, and I still haven't seen the Royal Rumble one.

I preferred the first one. I really liked their match at WrestleMania, but I don't remember much of the rematches and the medal-stealing thing seemed like old hat even then (let alone when Austin did it to Angle about three months later). Their 2002-2003 feud came when I wasn't watching wrestling every week and had more of a life, I saw a few of their Smackdown matches and wasn't blown away, and I still haven't seen the Royal Rumble one.

hmm maybe I am thinking of another feud before WM 2000. I think they wrestled at a UK PPV or something too. I cannot remember the exact dates, I just remember being disappointed with the action considering the two great wrestlers involved. I remember the "medal stealing" feud being great.

• Paid Members

The best thing about anything involving Benoit and Angle, was when Benoit stole Angle's medals he put them down his tights. After a match on Smackdown, Benoit was knocked out. So Angle snuck in the ring put his hands down the front of Benoits tights and got his medals back. He then celebrated by kissing the medals. The look of disgust afterwards was great. Angle had some facial expressions on his when he first came on the scene.

hmm maybe I am thinking of another feud before WM 2000. I think they wrestled at a UK PPV or something too. I cannot remember the exact dates, I just remember being disappointed with the action considering the two great wrestlers involved. I remember the "medal stealing" feud being great.

They did wrestle a short match (compared to their well known ones) at Insurrextion in 2000, but they weren't really feuding and they were both heels. This would've been not long after their WrestleMania triple threat with Jericho. They fought at Insurrextion the following year as well, but that was during the medals feud.

• Moderators

I was also well into the first one. Their ultimate submission match was great fun which is an effort, because to havfe a match like that is really hard to make interesting for the 35 or so minutes it went.

They had a few notable matches from 2000-2003

Insurextion 2000

Wrestlemania XVII

Backlash 2001 (Submissions Iron-Man)

Insurextion 2001 (2/3 falls)

Judgement Day 2001 (3 Stages of Hell)

RAW May 2001 (Steel Cage)

Smackdown September 2002 (Triple Threat with Undertaker)

Unforgiven 2002

Smackdown October 2002 (For possession of the tag team trophy)

Royal Rumble 2003

Smackdown January 2003 (Pretty bloody IIRC, although that might be the October match)

I was also well into the first one. Their ultimate submission match was great fun which is an effort, because to havfe a match like that is really hard to make interesting for the 35 or so minutes it went.

I'm a big fan of their submission one too, it was like a UWFi match on a WWE PPV. To be honest though, everything they did together was class.

I really can't remember much that happened in that second feud, to be honest. I do remember loving their 'squabbling tag team partners' angle before they were properly feuding though, especially the one where they fought over a trophy and Benoit did a massive belly laugh as if he was watching Jericho be sick after Stephanie McMahon slapped Kurt.

I loved their Mania 17 match. It was a worked shoot and was done really well. I remember seeing ankle picks and lots of floor work was really great to watch. their Rumble 03 match I remember being epic too. I always enjoyed watching these two work together was amazing to watch and very different from the same old punch, kick, punch, kick occasional big move match we always see

Been watching that Submission match on YouTube.

If you want a textbook definition of intensity in a wrestling ring, watch that match. They are fucking spitting teeth at each other, it's so intense. The facial expressions, their body movements, the pacing of the match and the building of frustrations and injuries, it's awesome. Every kick, chop and punch has more vim in it than an entire year of current WWE output.

That Wrestlemania match is class, I remember really enjoying the ultimate submission match at the time, it was something that I'd wanted to see for a while: two of the best technicians the WWF had at the time. I watched it back the other week and ended up fast forwarding through most of it.

They had a few notable matches from 2000-2003

Insurextion 2000

Wrestlemania XVII

Backlash 2001 (Submissions Iron-Man)

Insurextion 2001 (2/3 falls)

Judgement Day 2001 (3 Stages of Hell)

RAW May 2001 (Steel Cage)

Smackdown September 2002 (Triple Threat with Undertaker)

Unforgiven 2002

Smackdown October 2002 (For possession of the tag team trophy)

Royal Rumble 2003

Smackdown January 2003 (Pretty bloody IIRC, although that might be the October match)

Great little Cage Match.I really enjoyed Austin's Involvement on commentary, the look on his face when benoit hit the headbutt from the top of the cage really sold benoit as a threat to him.

Archived