Kurt Angle/Benoit feud

humanracer

Yeah, I remember reading that, he thought it was ridiculously dangerous. He also disliked the Benoit spot where he suplexes someone 10 times in a row on the grounds that it's too much damage for a single spot in a match.

In retrospect, Austin was probably right on both counts!

Yeah, I remember reading that, he thought it was ridiculously dangerous. He also disliked the Benoit spot where he suplexes someone 10 times in a row on the grounds that it's too much damage for a single spot in a match.

In retrospect, Austin was probably right on both counts!

I would agree about the multiple suplexes. I don't really like most sequences/multi staged moves though, although it worked well with 3. The other 'multiple' move i used to love was Raven with the rolling russian legsweeps and I suppose the 3 Amigo's was kinda fun. Didn't Austin take a shitload of them on that Smackdown match though? You'd have thought if he was that against it, he'd refuse to take so many of them.

I loved the cage headbutt spots though. Although if i remember right, he never used to sell it himself which was a bit silly (at least from those handful in WCW). You can't really put over a move like that as not causing any damage to the guy hitting it also.

I would agree about the multiple suplexes. I don't really like most sequences/multi staged moves though, although it worked well with 3. The other 'multiple' move i used to love was Raven with the rolling russian legsweeps and I suppose the 3 Amigo's was kinda fun. Didn't Austin take a shitload of them on that Smackdown match though? You'd have thought if he was that against it, he'd refuse to take so many of them.

I loved the cage headbutt spots though. Although if i remember right, he never used to sell it himself which was a bit silly (at least from those handful in WCW). You can't really put over a move like that as not causing any damage to the guy hitting it also.

I always thought Benoit did a good job of selling the Headbutt. IIRC him and Angle were both down for ages after he hit it from the top of the cage.

Didn't Austin genuningly hate the cage headbutt spot?

Well that explains his reaction :laugh:

• Paid Members

I loved Benoit's rolling Germans when done properly, and when restricted to three. Any more is a bit overkill. I say when done properly because some of Benoit's matches suffered when the opponent would actually start getting to their feet for the next suplex in sequence before Benoit did which ruins suspension of disbelief and looks daft - Chris was, after all, supposed to be dragging his dazed opponent off the mat against their will.

I also really like the fact that they didn't shy away from the fact that Angle started using the sequence while Benoit was injured, and each of their matches featured the two suplexing each other like crazy, the Rumble 2003 bout in particular involved a sequence with at least two reversals of the waistlock and for a moment, you thought they were going to go back and forth all night. But hell, any excuse to bring up THAT match, which dawg gone it, is my favourite.

"The Crippler" was always my favourite guy for locomotion holds, my favourite being where he once crushed a JTTS on Nitro with three Germans, then just when you thought he would go for a fourth, grabbed the fella's arm and drove him down into the Crossface. He also could be seen executing a rolling snap suplex combo as crisply as Dynamite used to get them off long before Eddie started performing his Three Amigos, and also had a nice multiple Northern Lights suplex, which I think I recall him doing once with the arm hammerlocked behind the back. I want to say against RVD.

My enthusiasm for repeated moves died when I saw a Maximo perform about five powerbombs into a Maximo Explosion (seated Axe Guilotine Driver/Fade To Black) which then only yielded a 2 count. Pretty sure the same match featured a rolling brainbuster too. TWATS.

My enthusiasm for repeated moves died when I saw a Maximo perform about five powerbombs into a Maximo Explosion (seated Axe Guilotine Driver/Fade To Black) which then only yielded a 2 count. Pretty sure the same match featured a rolling brainbuster too. TWATS.

I remember even before those days of early 00s Indy madness seeing Super Nova do something like that with 3 jumping piledrivers into a spinning powerbomb. And it was just a standard mid match move, I don't even think he went for a pin :laugh:

Lesnar and Jerichos WCW powerbombs, there's another of those type of move i did quite like. Even if it was quite obvious most of the time that the guy taking it was assisting. Takaiwa in Japan too when he turned it into a DVD. And Macho man and the patriot occasionally used an atomic drop into backdrop suplex, which was really neat looking.

I always thought Benoit did a good job of selling the Headbutt. IIRC him and Angle were both down for ages after he hit it from the top of the cage.

Yeah, I can't even remember much about the WWF ones, but I was thinking of the times I saw it in WCW, on Jeff Jarrett when he was the ref vs Superfly, vs Dean Malenko, and Brian Adams & Horace - I remembered him just moving on like nothing had happened, whether it was going for the pin or making the count in the Snuka one. It actually made me think he must really have been hard as nails because it looked like the kind of bump that would have you writhing in pain legit, without having to sell anything.

• Moderators

He sold the one against the nWo B-Team. I think it's the only one he did though. Actually he may have during the Benoit/Hart vs Outsiders vs Sid/Goldberg cage match, I forget.

• Paid Members
I remember even before those days of early 00s Indy madness seeing Super Nova do something like that with 3 jumping piledrivers into a spinning powerbomb. And it was just a standard mid match move, I don't even think he went for a pin :laugh:

If it's the match I'm thinking of, you're half right in that the two-piledrivers-into-Ligerbomb was a mid-match move - it was in a three-way dance, and I'm pretty sure Nova did pin his opponent, I want to say Tony Mamaluke of the FBI.

I forget who the third team in the match was, but it's pretty safe to say Nova & Chetti didn't win.

Archived