WWF/WWE's 5 Star Matches

AJS269

In a previous thread the issue of Meltzer's 5 star matches and the fact that he has only named a handful of WWF/WWE matches as being 5 star, so in your opinion what WWF/WWE matches would you class 5 star?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In a previous forum the issue of Meltzer's 5 star matches and the fact that he has only named a handfull of matches as being 5 star, so in your opinion what WWF/WWE matches would you class 5 star?

Posting a list of the matches he named as 5 star's would be a good start

3/20/94 Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon (Ladder Match, WrestleMania X)

8/29/94 Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (Cage Match, SummerSlam 1994)

3/23/97 Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (I Quit Match, WrestleMania 13)

10/5/97 Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker (Hell in a Cell Match, In Your House: Badd Blood)

I'd say that's not far off spot on.

I'd probably be quite generous if i bothered much about the snowflakes. In addition to those i'd probably have the following for starters;

- Hogan/Warrior WM6

- Warrior/Savage WM7

- Bret/Owen WMX

- Royal Rumble 92

- Savage/Steamboat WM3

- Bret/Austin SSeries 96

- HBK v HHH v Benoit WM20

- HBK v HHH SS02

- Bret v HBK WM12

- HBK v Taker WM25

I'd guess Summerslam 2002 and the iron man match would be the only contentious ones

• Paid Members
Hopefully both hbk/taker matches at mania will feature in the list along with angle vs hbk at wrestlemania (although their 30 min iron man match on the raw homecoming is a belter too)

Both Taker/HBK Wrestlemania matches got ****3/4. He probably took 1/4 off the first one because HBK telegraphed the result by wearing a white hat or something.

EDIT - For anyone that's interested here's a list of of all the Wresltlemania star ratings...

http://starratingslist.blogspot.com/2009/0...tings-list.html

Wrestlemania V

Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage: **3/4

:rolleyes:

• Paid Members
Can't argue with those 4 choices. A case could be made for a few others as well I'd say.

Plenty others. Meltzer's a dick.

Steamboat vs. Savage, WMIII

Warrior vs. Savage, WMVII

Bret vs. Piper, WMVIII

Savage vs. Flair, WMVIII

Michaels vs. Triple H, Summerslam 2002

I've tried to be careful not to go overboard with the ratings, but I honestly believe those five at least are definitely 5*.

Hopefully both hbk/taker matches at mania will feature in the list along with angle vs hbk at wrestlemania (although their 30 min iron man match on the raw homecoming is a belter too)

All of those matches got ****3/4. Apart from the iron man. Which was actually not all that good.

- Hogan/Warrior WM6

- Warrior/Savage WM7

- Bret/Owen WMX

- Royal Rumble 92

- Savage/Steamboat WM3

- Bret/Austin SSeries 96

- HBK v HHH v Benoit WM20

- HBK v HHH SS02

- Bret v HBK WM12

- HBK v Taker WM25

Agreed on all of them, apart from Hogan/Warrior, although I do really like that match.

They're easilly both 5* matches (especially the 2nd one) dont know why he didnt give them the full marks.. ridiculous, as for hbk/razor 1 thats a definate 5* match if it hadn't have been for owen vs bret that hbk/razor match woulda been motn imo.

All of those matches got ****3/4. Apart from the iron man. Which was actually not all that good.

Behave that was one of the best matches that year the entire crowd was desperate to see them do five more minutes and it was brilliant.

I echo the fact that at least one if not both of the HBK-Taker matches should have got 5 stars.

What more did they need to do to get there? Matches had everything. How can Punk vs Joe get five stars (not knocking that match because I love it) if Taker vs HBK doesn't?

Archived