WWF/WWE's 5 Star Matches

AJS269

how about Angle vs Benoit Royal Rumble 2003

as good a competitve match as you'll ever see and the ovation from the crowd benoit got afterwards was unreal

Sorry for the double post, but definitely THIS. That match is a belter.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Can't argue with those 4 choices. A case could be made for a few others as well I'd say.

Plenty others. Meltzer's a dick.

Too right he is. That basically if you weren't Ric Flair no 5 star matches happened on American soil in the 1980's is an outrageous claim.

I love that Meltz gave Hogan/Andre at WM3 -****. The biggest match of all time, which drew 93,000 people (who are going mental), with the greatest, most famous finish of all time. -****. He's an utter moron.

• Paid Members
I love that Meltz gave Hogan/Andre at WM3 -****. The biggest match of all time, which drew 93,000 people (who are going mental), with the greatest, most famous finish of all time. -****. He's an utter moron.

He revised it the next week to a positive * 1/4.

At secondary school we were required to write a short analysis about a piece of film of our choice, then bring the clip in to show the class and read our pieces on it out. I selected this bout, only to have my whole presentation thrown out due to the bastarding BBFC 18 label on the tape.

'Appy days.

I did something similar. I did a presentation on wrestling and I brought King of the Ring '98 in to show clips from The Undertaker/Mankind Hell in a Cell match. I didn't bother to let the teacher see that it was BBFC 18 as she assumed it was going to be some daft wrestling. I remember quite a lot of people in the class being shocked by what they saw.

Oh, well that's alright then. :laugh:

I'm sure if he was giving his rating to the buyrate or the crowd size then it'd have been a higher rating, but since he was rating the actual match, I'd say *1/4 is fair enough.

I'm sure if he was giving his rating to the buyrate or the crowd size then it'd have been a higher rating, but since he was rating the actual match, I'd say *1/4 is fair enough.

Actually it's more than fair, I don't think I can rate that match. Hard even to call it a match, all you have there is Hogan overselling a normal scoop slam and Andre telling him "Up!".

The pop from the crowd isn't anything special as ANYTHING Hogan would do in that period of time would make a crowd go nuts.

Can't argue with those 4 choices. A case could be made for a few others as well I'd say.

Steamboat vs. Savage, WMIII

Seriously? This match isn't in his stupid list?!

Eh, it's a good match, but both men have had way better with different opponants, and the Toronto match before Mania they had against each other may well be better. Meltzer is way underrating Andre/Hogan though, it's not the best match you'll see due to Andre barely being able to move, but he's still an incredibly smart worker and Hogan's selling is spot on, especially off of those early couple of bodyslams. As far as a "spectacle match", if you like, there aren't many better.

I'm dissapointed about the two Finlay/Benoit matches from May 06. The PPV match gets ****, whilst the other from Smackdown doesn't even place! I imagine it's a fairly controversial opinion, but I think their two of the best matches in WWE/WWF/WWWF history. Naturally I haven't seen everything (I still need to watch that Bret vs. Shawn Iron Man, for example), but I rewatched these again last night and they're pretty damn flawless. For twenty minutes a piece of mostly chain wrestling and teasing of big moves (especially in the Smackdown match), the crowd get in to it as well. Just masterful stuff, and I don't really do the whole star rating thing anymore, but I'd hapily rate them as a *****, 5/5, 10/10, 2 thumbs up, or anything else you fancy.

• Paid Members

Steamboat vs. Savage, WMIII

Seriously? This match isn't in his stupid list?!

Eh, it's a good match, but both men have had way better with different opponants, and the Toronto match before Mania they had against each other may well be better. Meltzer is way underrating Andre/Hogan though, it's not the best match you'll see due to Andre barely being able to move, but he's still an incredibly smart worker and Hogan's selling is spot on, especially off of those early couple of bodyslams. As far as a "spectacle match", if you like, there aren't many better.

I'm dissapointed about the two Finlay/Benoit matches from May 06. The PPV match gets ****, whilst the other from Smackdown doesn't even place! I imagine it's a fairly controversial opinion, but I think their two of the best matches in WWE/WWF/WWWF history. Naturally I haven't seen everything (I still need to watch that Bret vs. Shawn Iron Man, for example), but I rewatched these again last night and they're pretty damn flawless. For twenty minutes a piece of mostly chain wrestling and teasing of big moves (especially in the Smackdown match), the crowd get in to it as well. Just masterful stuff, and I don't really do the whole star rating thing anymore, but I'd hapily rate them as a *****, 5/5, 10/10, 2 thumbs up, or anything else you fancy.

Yeah, those matches are two eggs, sausage, bacon, fried slice AND beans.

Archived