WWF/WWE's 5 Star Matches

AJS269

• Paid Members

My list of near perfect matches in WWF/E:

Warrior/Savage - WM7 - This is actually 6*, deserves it's own scale.

1992 Royal Rumble Match

Razor/HBK - WM10

Bret/Owen - WM10

Bret/Bulldog - IYH5

Bret/Austin - Survivor Series 1996

Bret/Austin - WM13

10 Man Tag - IYH: Canadian Stampede

HBK/Undertaker - IYH: Bad Blood

HHH/Cactus Jack - Rumble 2000

Austin/Rock - WM17

Benoit/Angle - Rumble 2003

Brock/Eddie - No Way Out 2004

Trips/Batista - HIAC 2005

HBK/Cena - Raw in London

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At secondary school we were required to write a short analysis about a piece of film of our choice, then bring the clip in to show the class and read our pieces on it out. I selected this bout, only to have my whole presentation thrown out due to the bastarding BBFC 18 label on the tape.

'Appy days.

I did something similar. I did a presentation on wrestling and I brought King of the Ring '98 in to show clips from The Undertaker/Mankind Hell in a Cell match. I didn't bother to let the teacher see that it was BBFC 18 as she assumed it was going to be some daft wrestling. I remember quite a lot of people in the class being shocked by what they saw.

Well done mate, glad you managed to get yours through. I think I kind of had the aim of shocking people into giving professional wrestling a bit of respect too. Our teacher was physically taking the tapes and putting them into the player, so that

• Paid Members

Meltzer's a dick, sure, but he's considerably less of a dick than Bryan fucking Alvarez. How ridiculously angry and whinny he gets about things...annoying "geek".

Here's my list of WWE matches I have seen, that I personally would give 5 stars. There's a few that are very close, but I'm not sure they are quit on the level of these.

Macho Man Randy Savage Vs Ricky The Dragon Steamboat - Wrestlemania 3

Bret Hitman Hart Vs Stone Cold Steve Austin - Survivor Series 1996

Bret Hitman Hart Vs Stone Cold Steve Austin (Submission Match) - Wrestlemania 13

The Rock Vs Mankind (I Quit) - Royal Rumble 1999

Triple H Vs Cactus Jack (Street Fight) - Royal Rumble 2000

Triple H Vs Cactus Jack (Hell In A Cell) - No Way Out 2000

Stone Cold Steve Austin Vs The Rock - Wrestlemania 17

Stone Cold Steve Austin Vs Kurt Angle - Summerslam 2001

The Undertaker Vs Kurt Angle - No Way Out 2006

John Cena Vs Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania 23

Shawn Michaels Vs John Cena - Raw April 2007

The Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania 25

• Paid Members

Diesel vs Shawn, No Holds Barred should be in with a shout. First time gimmick match (in WWE anyway), done perfectly, and set the template for the main event "Street Fight/Hardcore" style, introducing spots that have been emulated 1000's of times since, 95% of them without the same impact.

Not that I'd ever expect Meltzer to admit Nash had been in a five star match like, but I'd put it up there with the best stuff WWE's ever done...

Come to think of it, I'd have Diesel vs Bret SS95 right up there as well.

Diesel vs Shawn, No Holds Barred should be in with a shout. First time gimmick match (in WWE anyway), done perfectly, and set the template for the main event "Street Fight/Hardcore" style, introducing spots that have been emulated 1000's of times since, 95% of them without the same impact.

Not that I'd ever expect Meltzer to admit Nash had been in a five star match like, but I'd put it up there with the best stuff WWE's ever done...

Come to think of it, I'd have Diesel vs Bret SS95 right up there as well.

4 and a half for Diesel vs Shawn

3 and a half for diesel vs bret

I always thought the match between Stone Cold and Dude Love at the Over The Edge pay per view was the best match I've ever seen.

The finish with Vinnie Mac's pin "By My Hand Only" was fantastic.

I think because Dude love was just a joke gimmick character and every other Dude Love match was a dud by Foleys own admission this one gets overlooked.

I don't think you can blame Meltzer that much for stuff he wrote about in his early 20s, a quarter of a century ago. He was ideologically opposed to the WWF style of wrestling which is why he underrated Hulk/Andre and refused to even rate the main event of WM1.

Angle/Benoit vs RR03 is certainly the best WWE match of the last 14 years IMO, and one that really should have got the 5 snowflakes.

Most of the others you can find fault with. It does seem ridiculous that TNA have had more **** matches in the last decade than WWE have. And some of the ROH matches he gave ***** to are ridiculous.

You have to bear in mind that as much as anything else, star ratings are about workrate. It's not all that unusual for Meltzer (or other people who use the classic ***** system the way it was meant to be used) to say things like "This was a simple but incredibly entertaining match. **" It's not an insult or saying that a match is awful to give it a lowish star rating. It just means that it wasn't EVERYTHING a great match can be. It's probably true that Meltzer had a bit of an anti-WWF bias in the '80s and the Flair tax has always been payable, but on the whole, he knows what he's doing when he rates stuff.

Savage/Steamboat was a good match, but when you bear in mind that All Japan had Tenryu/Jumbo in 1987, that's the standard you had to hit to be in the ***** range. They weren't close.

I love that Nash/Michaels No Holds Barred Match. As Cleetus rightly said, it was a real first for the WWF at the time, going as far as it did towards the weapon-using, chair-swinging, table-breaking ECW style.

Pissed-off, amped-up Michaels at the end is fucking brilliant too. Gesturing towards the camera and pretty much calling out WCW's Old Boys.

• Paid Members

Does Meltzer hate WWE or something? I googled his five star matches and found these:

10/16/04 Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk (ROH Joe vs Punk 2)

10/1/05 Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi (ROH Joe vs Kobashi)

3/31/06 Dragon Kid & Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito vs. CIMA & Naruki

Doi & Masato Yoshino.

Now it's been several years since I've seen Joe/Punk, so I can't recall if this match warrants a five star rating or not. From what I remember though, I did quite like it. That Dragon Gate six-man in no way deserves five stars and I was honestly angry when I read he have it that rating. Joe/Kobashi, entertaining as it was, left me feeling a tad disappointed and I can't help but feel the atmosphere contributed to the Meltz' rating of it. Hell, going by that logic, he might as well have included Rock/Hogan at Wrestlemania 18. A match made by it's atmosphere, the mainstream version of Joe/Kobashi.

For what it's worth, I think Hogan/Rock should've gotten five stars. It was incredible. But the exclusion of HHH/HBK from Summerslam 2002 as well as a few others mentioned in this thread are inexcusable.

Honestly, this thread is embarrassing - loads of people giving stick to someone about star ratings on wrestling matches. Pathetic.

Actually, this thread has turned into a pretty interesting discussion, and has also brought lots of great matches to people's attention.

A couple of people have slagged off meltz, that's all.

"pathetic". Yeah, right!

Archived