wwe 1999

wwffan2

i have just watched Backlash 1999 and all i can say is what a great event compared to modern day WWE this wipes the floor with anything wwe have done in the last two years. Does anyone think WWE will ever get as good again ?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have just watched Backlash 1999 and all i can say is what a great event compared to modern day WWE this wipes the floor with anything wwe have done in the last two years. Does anyone think WWE will ever get as good again ?

1999 was a great year but there seems to be a trend nowadays to say it wasn't as good as made out to be.

There was a lot of atrocious stuff in the WWF in 1999. Looking back I think it was a bad year, certainly compared to 1998 and 2000 (which was a really good year, especially on PPV)

• Paid Members

The myth is that everything was great in the Attitude era, but you can find plenty of undercard rubbish on 1998-1999 WWF shows, until the arrival of Jericho and The Dudleys and then the Radicals and Taz(z), and the "arrival" in name value terms of Too Cool, The Hardys and E&C meant that the cards were loaded top to bottom with talent that was either reliable in the ring, over as fuck or usually both.

The biggest difference for me is while there may have been similar levels of rubbish, there wasn't quite as much apathy in the crowds as there quite often is nowadays. They used to go mental for anything.

I think it was awesome personally, I'm sure with hindsight you can look back and point fingers, but at the time it was incredible. WWE now lacks what this had, it was spontaneous, you couldn't predict what would happen next and most importantly it was goddamn entertaining.

1999 has one my all time favourite wrestling moment, the countdown clock and the Jericho debut. OH and D Lo Brown was IC Champ.

• Paid Members

I know i'm in the minority here, but I couldn't stand the McMahon Helmsley era.

I much preferred 1997 leading into 1998 than anything afterwards to be honest. Although 1999 did start well and included a very enjoyable Wrestlemania and Summerslam.

The myth is that everything was great in the Attitude era, but you can find plenty of undercard rubbish on 1998-1999 WWF shows, until the arrival of Jericho and The Dudleys and then the Radicals and Taz(z), and the "arrival" in name value terms of Too Cool, The Hardys and E&C meant that the cards were loaded top to bottom with talent that was either reliable in the ring, over as fuck or usually both.

The biggest difference for me is while there may have been similar levels of rubbish, there wasn't quite as much apathy in the crowds as there quite often is nowadays. They used to go mental for anything.

Yeah, Raw always seemed good at the time because the crowd were always well into the show. I wouldn't say Tazz made any difference whatsoever to the quality of the WWF in 2000, but everyone else you mentioned played a part in improving things after 1999. Kurt Angle was obviously the other main arrival that signalled an upswing in match quality at that time.

• Moderators

1999 had Meat and countless matches on Metal between Mideon and sodding Chaz bastard Warrington. So that wasn't ideal, but D'Lo Brown had his super summer that year. So I dunno what I think of 1999 nowadays.

• Paid Members

Shite year. Horrible ppv's, horrible "sixty things happening every segment" style tv, which masked the fact that there really wasn't anything of substance happening, other than the Rock's rise to the top. Austin was beyond stale by the summer. There's very little I'd want to go back and watch now.

I still thought WCW was the better show until the end of the year when the Mcmahon Helmsley Era started (the very last Raw of 99 is one of the best tv episodes of all time), that was what started WWF's incredible run of tv for me, and they built on it right through 2000.

1999 had Meat and countless matches on Metal between Mideon and sodding Chaz bastard Warrington. So that wasn't ideal, but D'Lo Brown had his super summer that year. So I dunno what I think of 1999 nowadays.

Metal actually had a load of fun little tag matches with some of those guys - E&C and the Hardys vs Mideon/Viscera, Goldust/Meanie, DLo/Mark Henry, Albert/somebody etc.

Overall it's probably my least favourite in all the years i've been watching the wrestling. The first half especially was dire, WM was awful, and very little on RAW was memorable in terms of in-ring stuff. In their defence, it did start to pick up in the latter part of the year with Jericho, Angle and the Dudleys coming in, Hardys and E&C getting a lot of focus etc. I think most PPVs were ok from Fully Loaded onwards, but I don't even think i could sit through watching WM, Valentines Massacre, Rumble, KOTR or most RAW's again.

I was never a huge fan of D-Lo but he was going like a man possessed around that time, flying around everywhere. I think he wanted to be Scorpio or something.

Metal actually had a load of fun little tag matches with some of those guys - E&C and the Hardys vs Mideon/Viscera, Goldust/Meanie, DLo/Mark Henry, Albert/somebody etc.

Overall it's probably my least favourite in all the years i've been watching the wrestling. The first half especially was dire, WM was awful, and very little on RAW was memorable in terms of in-ring stuff. In their defence, it did start to pick up in the latter part of the year with Jericho, Angle and the Dudleys coming in, Hardys and E&C getting a lot of focus etc. I think most PPVs were ok from Fully Loaded onwards, but I don't even think i could sit through watching WM, Valentines Massacre, Rumble, KOTR or most RAW's again.

I was never a huge fan of D-Lo but he was going like a man possessed around that time, flying around everywhere. I think he wanted to be Scorpio or something.

I missed a lot of the 1999 PPV's at the time, but St Valentine's Day Massacre was a dud from just about start to finish, although the end of the main event was memorable. I'd say that the WWF was largely bad from November 98 - November 1999 but the momentum from 1998 kept them ahead of WCW, which was faltering itself.

Archived