wwe 1999

wwffan2

• Paid Members

I've really enjoyed reading this thread as it's brought back alot of things to me that I've forgotten and I'm going to have to rewatch as much of it as I can. I remember thoroughly enjoying '99 as everyone I knew then either enjoyed wrestling or didn't hate it as they once previously did. The vast majority of the product was over as far as I can remember (from the undercard right up) and the crowd reactions back then blow anything from today out of the water (which is a big thing for me). It just felt like a special time.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved WWF in 1999 and it got me back in love with wrestling, it was hard not to take notice as it was everywhere, particularly in high school at the time.

I went back to watch a block of RAW's from 1999 a year or so back and the development of the storylines was captivating. Not just the main event stuff with Austin/Rock or the Ministry, Corporation and the like. Even the lower level stuff was fascinating with the hardcore title matches, exciting tag teams and all that sort of stuff. You kind of lose a little perspective on the actual wrestling as the whole entertainment side of it was so good and had you on tenterhooks choking to see the next weeks episode.

Match quality on the undercards was pretty sparse but the main events were usually solid, pretty much a total contrast to WCW in that era which was the other way around for me. What does catch you though - as mentioned already - is the crowd would pretty much be going ballistic for anything and everything from the hardcore matches all the way through to the WWF title bouts.

Compare that to 2000 when they were stacked to the hilt with the Angle, Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko, 2 Cool, Rikishi, etc, etc who were just as over as their counterparts a year earlier but undeniably had much better quality matches. You could easily put on majority of 2000 PPV events to watch on a "one off" and be entertained from top to bottom even if you weren't up to speed with everything building up to it or surrounding the matches as the quality was that good, as much as i liked 1999 i don't think you could do something similar from any event that year albeit the entertainment aspect of it was out of this world.

Archived