UFC 132:Cruz vs Faber II Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Siver vs Wiman was an absolute robbery. I had that as 30-27 Wiman, or 29-28 Wiman giving the 1st to Siver. Horrible.

I disagree completely. I'm glad that there was some sort of backlash against this tactic of constantly trying for takedowns and getting the nod when you only score with one or two out of more than double the amount of attempts.

In my book if someone goes for a takedown and gets it, then they should get scored for that. By the same token, if someone goes for a takedown and the other guy successfully defends it they should get scored for that instead.

Siver managed to squash more than half of Wiman's attempts, and outfought him on the feet.

I scored the fight two rounds to one for Siver on the above criteria.

I looked up FightMetric because I was sure that Siver missed a fair amount of his strikes, but surprisingly he out-struck Wiman significantly. However, looking at the Total Performance Rating section, Siver just barely edged Wiman in striking effectiveness, while Wiman overwhelmed Siver in grappling effectiveness. In the third round, Wiman had two guillotine attempts and a few power punches, while most of Siver's offense was jabs that didn't cause damage. I believe Wiman was more aggressive in R3, which is part of the judging criteria. And it was hardly lay and pray either, which there should be a big backlash against. Stat-wise, it goes to Siver, but as far as effective damage goes, Wiman gets it. Damage really doesn't get considered as much as it should under the Unified Rules. Looking at both men's faces after the fight, who would you think won of that image?

Looking at both men's faces after the fight, who would you think won of that image?

That doesn't play into it at all. You could be outscoring someone on the feet for the entire fight then take an elbow to the head busting you open. Does that mean you lost the fight because your face is in worse condition?

I gave round 2 to Wiman for his takedown and damage inflicted, but again, if a takedown is counted as scoring offence then a takedown defence must also count for something. Siver defended more takedown attempts than Wiman managed to execute.

If it was made clear that judges will score takedown defence as much as takedown offence we would maybe see less fighters willing to just shoot for takedowns over & over again.

• Paid Members
Looking at both men's faces after the fight, who would you think won of that image?

That doesn't play into it at all. You could be outscoring someone on the feet for the entire fight then take an elbow to the head busting you open. Does that mean you lost the fight because your face is in worse condition?

I gave round 2 to Wiman for his takedown and damage inflicted, but again, if a takedown is counted as scoring offence then a takedown defence must also count for something. Siver defended more takedown attempts than Wiman managed to execute.

If it was made clear that judges will score takedown defence as much as takedown offence we would maybe see less fighters willing to just shoot for takedowns over & over again.

I have always said that if somebody shoots in and the other guy sprawls and ends up ontop it must be a takedown to the defender, he has took the other guy down and as David has said it would avoid people from just going for takedown's over and over.

On the other hand like in the Cruz Faber fight, Cruz scored some takedowns but Faber got right back up. Maybe the takedowns should be scored on what happens once you get down rather then getting people down.

• Paid Members

Another great show in the wake of a poor boxing event. The MMA bandwagon rolls on :) Lots of guys got a good step up the ladder and are knocking on the door of a title shot off the back off this show.

Prelims got the show off explosive start. Melvin hopefully will get Jim Miller/Guida next to determine a No.1 contender. Dude is all excitement in there. Brilliant to watch. He has some real direction being with Jackson's and he's looking so good right now. Which is the polar opposite to George Sotiropolous who 12 months ago looked on his way to a title shot. Hoping he can get his shit together. Anthony Njokuani put on another great display too, Winner surely will be cut now?

Condit looks the real deal, I thought Kim could be able to smother him and keep it where he wanted but Carlos had other ideas. Great finish, looked schweet as well deserved KO of the night.

So happy Tito got the win and will get another fight, he's always good to have around. Real surprised at Bader. He's said now that Tito's uppercut actually knocked him out and he woke up in the Choke. Fall from Grace. Gotta love Tito's bigging himself up at the post press too. Had to throw in that Jon Jones didn't manage to finish Bader in the first round :D

Leben/Wandy was what we were expecting. Hopefully Wand leaves it there now.

The main event was a great 5 round battle. Cruz's style looks more jerky and awkward than Keith Jardine, but it does the job and kept Faber guessing. Great back and forth fight to cap off a great show.

• Paid Members

Sonnen actually said post fight he has no interest fighting Wandy. He was talking as though he has alot of respect for him but that Wand just isn't in the game anymore. He did say he'd like a fight with 'Karate guy' Machida before going back down to 185 lbs.

Sonnen actually said post fight he has no interest fighting Wandy. He was talking as though he has alot of respect for him but that Wand just isn't in the game anymore. He did say he'd like a fight with 'Karate guy' Machida before going back down to 185 lbs.

If the UFC booked the fight he'd take it. Wanderlei shouldn't be allowed to leave after being caught cold by Chris Leben. Especially after a layoff of over a year.

• Paid Members

If the UFC booked the fight he'd take it. Wanderlei shouldn't be allowed to leave after being caught cold by Chris Leben. Especially after a layoff of over a year.

Agreed but I can't see Wand getting another fight. Dana seemed pretty sure it would be the last of him in the press conference.

Agreed but I can't see Wand getting another fight. Dana seemed pretty sure it would be the last of him in the press conference.

If so, that's a fucking disgrace. He was coming off a long layoff and simply got caught cold. He deserves at least one last throw of the dice.

Oh, and I'm not biased in any way on this subject ;)

He also said the same about Cro Cop and he is getting another fight so we shall see.

• Paid Members

If so, that's a fucking disgrace. He was coming off a long layoff and simply got caught cold. He deserves at least one last throw of the dice.

Oh, and I'm not biased in any way on this subject ;)

:laugh: yeah me too.

I agree completely. He was out nearly 18 months and then got caught early by one of the heaviest handed fighters in the sport. And he beat Bisping just before the layoff so retiring him off this loss seems a bit harsh to me.

Can't end a legendary career on that note. If he loses his last fight whatever but not fucking 27 seconds or whatever it was.

I say either give him Sonnen or Akiyama in Japan as his 'last chance'. Sonnen for the build up (although I'd have Sonnen to take a lopsided decision :( ) and the Akiyama fight would be awesome, especially in Japan.

He also said the same about Cro Cop and he is getting another fight so we shall see.

Exactly and Cro Cop is in much worse shape than Wand imo. He's getting knocked cold almost every fight and is scared to engage. Wanderlei still comes to fight and as shown vs Bisping can still compete with tough opposition. He just got hit hard early by a huge puncher and couldn't recover, it could easily have happened the other way round.

It would be a real shame if that was Silvas last fight. As you guys have already mentioned he had a really long lay off, before that he looked great against Bisping. Sure he's had some bad knockouts in his last few fights but he's been fighting some real hard hitting guys. Silva has to have at least one more fight and I agree that a fight with Akiyama would be great, if it was in Japan even better, I want to see that!

I say either give him Sonnen or Akiyama in Japan as his 'last chance'. Sonnen for the build up (although I'd have Sonnen to take a lopsided decision :( ) and the Akiyama fight would be awesome, especially in Japan.

Fuck, I forgot all about that fight! Yeah, I'd love to see that in Japan!

• Paid Members

Yeah win or lose against Belfort you know Akiyama's gonna be on that Japan show. Who better for him to face than Wanderlei Silva in his last fight? The Japanese fans will love all that shit.

The Japan show is scheduled for Feb 2012 too so plenty of time.

I'm thinking Belfort will beat Akiyama and we'll get Wand vs Akiyama and Belfort vs Leben.

Archived