Who have you "discovered" as a result of their death?

Big Rob

Naturally, I'd seen Randy Savage before, and enjoyed his work, but he was totally a guy that I'd never really paid attention to before he passed away. Like many people I'm sure, I decided to check out a bunch of his stuff, and was just blown away by his work. That sell job he did against Bret Hart on SNME was out of this World, and some of the Tito matches were fantastic. It got me to thinking that it's a shame that it took his death for me to really look into his work, though now that I have, I'm hooked.

So, simple really - has this ever happened to you? If so, was it with Savage like me, or someone else? I guess you could also stretch it to include companies that you only got into after they went out of business.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think this has ever happened to me. I struggle to get into any wrestling that I've not seen but already know what the result was, so the only retro stuff I ever watch is for the purposes of nostalgia.

I had completely forgotten Elizabeth's "ohh yeahhh" response to the marriage proposal until it was in the WWE highlight clip though, and that brought a tear to my eye.

Well I'd say I'm in a similar position regarding Savage. I saw a few of his matches and so on and knew how he was such a big star in the wrestling world but having just got into wrestling in the late 90s I only ever saw a little bit of his WCW stuff, his odd bits in TNA and then any earlier stuff that I would have seen was from DVDs involving matches with him in. Since his death I realise that I may have under rated him a bit as I knew he was a big star but the amount of media coverage and shock regarding his death has been crazy and today I took advantage of Silvervision's offer on his DVD set and now hope to watch his career and catch up on a legend who I missed out on. I suppose I always knew he was a big name in wrestling but WWE's way of watering down his icon status in wrestling (due to his problems with Vince I think) may have had an effect on me as I never really had the urge to buy his DVD or anything when it first came out as I suppose I was too young back when he was a real star and I never saw him in WWF back in his glory days, then when I did get into wrestling WCW was just about dying and I don't think I ever really saw much of him on WCW (although he was the first guy I ever saw on WCW TV and I will always remember thinking this guy is so cool and charismatic) and I faintly remember watching a match involving him in WCW thinking it was awesome but I never got around to watching much more of him bar his short run in TNA. Now I must say I am quite annoyed with myself for never going and checking out anymore about him and like I said I've ordered the DVD and I will make it a must-do on my list of things to do to make sure I check out Savage's career.

• Paid Members

Not really as a result of their death, but I love Gino Hernandez and Chris Adams, alot of the WCCW talent is under appreciated but these two were a fantastic tag team who did matches and vigenettes etc well ahead of their time.

• Paid Members

Never happened to me but I must admit I'd like to see a bit of that sweet & sour dude who died recently (can't remember his name) because everyone totally raved about his mic work when he topped himself and I've never seen him, I don't even know which promotion he was in.

• Paid Members
Never happened to me but I must admit I'd like to see a bit of that sweet & sour dude who died recently (can't remember his name) because everyone totally raved about his mic work when he topped himself and I've never seen him, I don't even know which promotion he was in.

Larry Sweeney he worked lots of indies including ROH and CHIKARA, I never saw much of the guy but it's sad he went the way he did

WCW for me. It was just something I read about on the internet when I was first starting out watching wrestling, and I'd read about guys like Hulk Hogan or Nash or Flair, but they were just names from wrestling's past as far as I can see. Whenever I saw a WCW poster or sticker album or somesuch it just looked like a weird retirement home for 80s wrestlers. Then all of a sudden it was over and Vince was reading out names on tv and mocking Jeff Jarrett.

When WCW guys started turning up in WWE though, it felt like a MASSIVE thing, and so I started tracking down some WCW footage and finding out more about it. I definitely feel that, if I'd had access to both in the 90s, I'd have been a WCW fan more than a WWF fan.

Archived