Who have you "discovered" as a result of their death?

Big Rob

Bock was great wasn't he? I didn't see anything from him until he hung them up either (in fact I didn't see AWA until after then either). I know it was on SS around 1988-90ish, was it shown for a long time before then?

I got 'into' him from reading about him in the magazines back in the 90s because even though he was done by that point they'd always mention him as one of the greats. It wasn't really until the 2000s I got to see much Bockwinkel so he's another one like Jumbo or Brisco are for me.

Not quite the same.

But Mike awesome.

I fail to see how he never made it huge in america.

Because when WWE put him next to Kane, Show, Undertaker etc it became apparent that not only was he not that big, but also not that good. I too had never heard of Larry Sweeney until he died. I dont watch much in the way of indy wrestling.

Yep, he really wasn't up to much. Fine for ECW and FMW where he could be the monster throwing smaller people around like ragdolls, but in an environment where his size wasn't all that unique, he didn't really have much else in the way of skills to get himself noticed and stand out.

Not just giants like those guys either (most people look small beside Taker, Kane or Show) but Awesome didn't even look that big compared to guys like a Chuck Palumbo, a Billy Gunn or a Triple H.

Realistically Awesome had the same problems Rhyno did in that they were booked as 'Big Men' in ECW but they weren't big men in the grand scheme of things. Difference is Rhyno was better at adapting and turned into a decent WWE-style heel.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived