Who have you "discovered" as a result of their death?

Big Rob

This is a hard one for me, because in general I find it hard to watch matches involving people who have passed away. It's hard to watch someone take bumps and get hurt knowing that they're not longer around, and the footage I'm watching is, in many cases, something that has contributed to their passing. I've seen a few Owen matches since he's died, mainly because I was only just getting into wrestling in 98/99 and don't remember him as an active performer. Feels very weird to watch Guerrero, Benoit, Umaga and Test, among others.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not quite the same.

But Mike awesome.

I fail to see how he never made it huge in america.

Because when WWE put him next to Kane, Show, Undertaker etc it became apparent that not only was he not that big, but also not that good. I too had never heard of Larry Sweeney until he died. I dont watch much in the way of indy wrestling.

• Moderators
Because when WWE put him next to Kane, Show, Undertaker etc it became apparent that not only was he not that big, but also not that good.

Did you not even like his match with Tanaka at the WWE pay per view?

That was a match? I thought it was just a montage of stunts and chairshots.

Not quite the same.

But Mike awesome.

I fail to see how he never made it huge in america.

Because when WWE put him next to Kane, Show, Undertaker etc it became apparent that not only was he not that big, but also not that good. I too had never heard of Larry Sweeney until he died. I dont watch much in the way of indy wrestling.

Yep, he really wasn't up to much. Fine for ECW and FMW where he could be the monster throwing smaller people around like ragdolls, but in an environment where his size wasn't all that unique, he didn't really have much else in the way of skills to get himself noticed and stand out.

I don't think there's anyone i've only checked out because they were dead. There's been a few guys who I only made a point of seeing after they were dead, like Art Barr and Oro, but that was more to do with the timing of me becoming interested in lucha. I would no doubt have been just as interested in seeing their work if they were alive.

i'd very rarely, if ever seen any wccw stuff until i bought the triumph and tragedy of world class dvd late last year. looked like a cracking promotion at the time. been trying to get hold of the hero's doc that came out to see the non wwe version of events

Add another to the Randy Savage camp. He was well before my time so I've only ever seen the odd match here or there, so I watched the Macho Madness DVD today and he's actually phenomenal. In fact, I'm discovering the 80s in general which I'm pretty unfamiliar with.

• Paid Members
Get the Heroes of World Class DVD, it's fucking amazing.

If we are on about the NON WWE one then yes, buy it, I was captivated by it. Some great interviews in it, even if Kevin VE is a mentalist. It's totally worth it. The montage at the end about the Sportatorium nearly had be welling up

• Paid Members
WCW for me. It was just something I read about on the internet when I was first starting out watching wrestling, and I'd read about guys like Hulk Hogan or Nash or Flair, but they were just names from wrestling's past as far as I can see. Whenever I saw a WCW poster or sticker album or somesuch it just looked like a weird retirement home for 80s wrestlers. Then all of a sudden it was over and Vince was reading out names on tv and mocking Jeff Jarrett.

Similar to me, but with ECW. I didn't watch wrestling between 1997-1999 and I never bought any non-WWE publications, so the first time I'd ever heard of ECW was when the Dudley Boyz first joined WWF. WWF Magazine had a feature on them, saying that they were hoping to make a better impression than the last big team to join from ECW- Public Enemy. Then I started reading internet dirt sheets and read that they had signed ECW wrestler Taz.

I caught some brief moments of ECW when it was on Bravo and eventually knew the entire roster just from following the circuit on the internet- without actually really watching it. After the folded, a lot of their guys appeared on WWF tv and guys like Rhyno, Spike and Tajiri really caught my eye (plus, I really liked Taz & Raven as soon as they joined). I had a feeling I would enjoy ECW as I liked their wrestlers (or former wrestlers, as it was dead at this point), but was put off by their production. I'd only ever watched WWF (and a bit of WCW) so if it wasn't all nice and shiny, I thought I wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Then I watched RVD for the first time at Invasion and the next week I went out a bought two ECW videos from WH Smith. I became a posthumous mark from that moment onwards. I haven't watched ECW in years though, so I wonder if I'd enjoy it anywhere as much as my tastes have developed a lot again over the past several years.

Archived