Disappointing Matches

tom

• Paid Members

As description says, we're looking for matches that looked destined to be great for whatever reason but resulted in falling short of the standard you would have expected. I guess it's mostly matches that pitted two top quality wrestlers against each other as they create the biggest buzz in terms of expected quality.

One match that I'm thinking of is Benoit v Guerrero from the original One Night Stand; we all expected a master-class of wrestling similar to their previous encounters but it never lived up to expectations. Eddie had recently turned heel I believe and as such was working his new in-ring style which was punctuated by a slower pace with more aggression. I remember at the time it was widely reported that Benoit was pissed off because he felt Eddie wasn't interested in producing the goods.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michaels Vs Perfect, Summerslam '93.

Had all the makings of a classic IC Title match for the ages. Quality build-up, Michaels was on top of his game as a Heel, Perfect was a super-over face, Diesel as the looming henchman in the background.

Ended up being OK, but that's about all. They just didn't click anything like i thought they would have done.

I wouldn't say I expected greatness but I was always baffled to why Festus/Drew Gallows could have a great match with Kozlov during his push but HHH & HBK couldn't or probably rather wouldn't. I hoped for Kozlov's best match against HBK but it sucked ass.

• Paid Members
Also Steve Austin's return against Rikishi in 2000.

I don't see how this could have been much more than what it ended up being, to be honest. It was always going to be Austin giving him a battering; the end did suck though.

Surely the Bret v Vince match also fits in here.

Fair enough, no-one expected a classic 'wrestling' match but I think everyone was looking forward to seeing just what cool stuff they'd come up with.

Unfortunately they came up with using the (not at all well-known members of) The Hart Family far too much, and having Bret beat a crying Vince with a stick for what felt like 13 years.

Ugh!

• Paid Members

Bret Hart v Shawn Michaels at Mania 12 is the one for me, having been a big fan of their match from Survivors 92, I expected this to be better. It wasn't. It was hampered by the 60 minute stip, as the time wore on, there was an increasing feeling that there would be little drama, as they seemed "too evenly matched" to catch a fall on each other. Had it been one fall booked to go nearly 30 minutes with the same top spots, it would have been great.

I also felt let down by Austin/Undertaker at SummerSlam 98. After world class build up, the match itself seemed a little "eh" other than Taker's legdrop through the table.

lesnar vs goldberg comes to my mind.

I would go for this also. Granted the crowd gave them a hard time but the two of them let it get to them. Sooooo much stalling to react to the crowd. Also Austin shouldn't have been the Referee.

Recently watched Bob Backlund vs Ken Patera which won Wrestling Observor MOTY for 1980 and was very disapointed. I couldnt understand why Backlund spent the entire match kicking out of pin attempts at just the count of one. This happened even during periods of the match when Patera had beaten him down. Could'nt get into the match because i never felt Baclund was ever in danger of losing. How it won MOTY...i dont know.

• Paid Members
Festus/Drew Gallows

Heheheh - you mean "Luke Gallows" or "Drew Hankinson" (I think that's his real name), but I think, also, you're confusing him with Drew Galloway, yes?

Archived