Disappointing Matches

tom

• Paid Members
I love all the Bret vs. Shawn matches, especially the Ironman match. It's full of great wrestling and if you ignore the lack of falls and overtime crap, you get some quality work. I could watch it all day. It was slightly disappointing in the sense that the Ironman gimmick hurt the investment of the crowd, but not because of the work, it was the booking. Survivor Series '92 is a great match. Montreal is underrated as a match too.

Perfect vs. Shawn at Summerslam '93 is a good answer. I've always thought that was very forgettable. Weird since Perfect was awesome in '93 and Shawn had some great matches with Marty and there is also a Rocker Shawn vs. heel Hennig from '91 that is AWESOME and smokes Summerslam.

Angle vs. Lesnar Ironman.

@chokeout: The Raw match that ended with the side effect off the stage? Man I thought that was a great street fight.

Nope their first match back was on PPV (Summerslam), sure it ended in a blood stoppage with Matt being unable to carry on, They did have a couple of good matches, the cage match Hardy won was good but that first match after all the hype and his return was a huge let down

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love all the Bret vs. Shawn matches, especially the Ironman match. It's full of great wrestling and if you ignore the lack of falls and overtime crap, you get some quality work. I could watch it all day. It was slightly disappointing in the sense that the Ironman gimmick hurt the investment of the crowd, but not because of the work, it was the booking. Survivor Series '92 is a great match. Montreal is underrated as a match too.

Perfect vs. Shawn at Summerslam '93 is a good answer. I've always thought that was very forgettable. Weird since Perfect was awesome in '93 and Shawn had some great matches with Marty and there is also a Rocker Shawn vs. heel Hennig from '91 that is AWESOME and smokes Summerslam.

@chokeout: The Raw match that ended with the side effect off the stage? Man I thought that was a great street fight.

Nope their first match back was on PPV (Summerslam), sure it ended in a blood stoppage with Matt being unable to carry on, They did have a couple of good matches, the cage match Hardy won was good but that first match after all the hype and his return was a huge let down

I forgot about the Summerslam match. Probably would have been a better feud without that match, I agree, highly disappointing for such a big PPV. That PPV was my first since 2000 and I was just going WTF!!! after it ended after 5 minutes.

Rey vs. Sabu when Vince brought back ECW was a bit meh.

• Paid Members

The Hart vs. Michaels contest from WM12 was an absolutely brilliant 20 minute match... dragged out over a staggeringly mind-numbingly boring one hour.

I would always rank the Rock vs. Triple-H Iron Man match from Judgment Day 2000 and even the Cena vs. Orton Iron Man match from <insert event> above Hart/Michaels.

I'd class The Rock vs. Triple H in the Iron Man Match above every match I've seen, never mind Iron Man matches. An amazing use of an hour.

I thought that was much better than the absolute shitfest that I was expecting.

• Paid Members
One match that I'm thinking of is Benoit v Guerrero from the original One Night Stand; we all expected a master-class of wrestling similar to their previous encounters but it never lived up to expectations. Eddie had recently turned heel I believe and as such was working his new in-ring style which was punctuated by a slower pace with more aggression. I remember at the time it was widely reported that Benoit was pissed off because he felt Eddie wasn't interested in producing the goods.

Wasn't the deal here that Guerrero was sulking because the match only got ten minutes or something like that?

• Paid Members
One match that I'm thinking of is Benoit v Guerrero from the original One Night Stand; we all expected a master-class of wrestling similar to their previous encounters but it never lived up to expectations. Eddie had recently turned heel I believe and as such was working his new in-ring style which was punctuated by a slower pace with more aggression. I remember at the time it was widely reported that Benoit was pissed off because he felt Eddie wasn't interested in producing the goods.

Wasn't the deal here that Guerrero was sulking because the match only got ten minutes or something like that?

From what i read he was trying to keep kayfabe by playing his heel charecter, which ultimatly kind of spoilt a decent match, as it could of been a decent little scrap face vs face style.

I forgot about the Summerslam match. Probably would have been a better feud without that match, I agree, highly disappointing for such a big PPV. That PPV was my first since 2000 and I was just going WTF!!! after it ended after 5 minutes.

In the build-up to Edge vs Matt hardy we were told in advance by Matt Hardy that the match would have no wrestling moves. in it. At the time I thought he was right.

Michaels/Perfect at Summerslam is almost the stock answer for this question, but it is true, it was a big letdown, both in terms of the actual work and the booking. I agree to an extent regarding the WM12 iron man match, but only in the sense that it could have been arguably the best match of all time. As it was, it was still the best match of 1996 imo, but I don't think it was the best way to work/structure/book the match in light of the stipulation.

A few that spring to mind, two of them even from the same show.

- Rockers vs Hart Foundation, from the archives. I wanted to see this phantom title change for so long and figured it couldn't possibly be anything other than great, especially being 2/3 falls. Sadly, I was wrong. It started off great then went downhill fast and ended up descending into crap. The broken ring rope couldn't be all to blame. The same could probably be said for the angle driven Rockers matches vs LOD and Natural Disasters in late 91. They were just normal matches on weekly tv though, so as good as they sounded on paper, I probably wasn't expecting PPV calibre stuff -I guess it was more hope than expectation.

- Ricky Morton vs Robert Gibson, Great American Bash '91. This would've drained the life out you. With 2 guys as familiar with each other, you'd think they'd be able to craft something pretty exciting between them. It didn't help that if they had to be split up and one of them was to turn, they got it the wrong way round. Regardless of those excuses, this was an absolute borefest. Morton was terrible as a heel and his Halloween Havoc '91 match with Pillman was just about as disappointing. Fortunately on that show, we at least had a really fun Terry Taylor/Bobby Eaton match to compensate somewhat.

- Rude vs Chono, Halloween Havoc 92'. I only saw this a few years back after seeing some of their matches from Japan, including the G1 final classic. I loved both these guys (well, Chono moreso in NWO/Team 2000), but In comparison to some of their encounters on the opposite side of the pacific, this was pretty dull. Maybe if I hadn't saw their matches from Japan previously it might have been different, but to me it was a big letdown.

- Sting vs Jake, Halloween Havoc '92. Should've been good. Wasn't.

- RVD/Sabu vs Hayabusa/Shinzeki, ECW heatwave 98. In hindsight, I should've known better. It was taking place in ECW so they were obviously going to work it to please that audience. But before seeing it, I hoped that 'Busa and Shinzeki could give it a bit of their FMW/AJPW influence and drag something good out of Sabu and Van Dam. But it wasn't to be.

- More recently, I found Edge/Alberto at Wrestlemania disappointing. In contrast to the earlier poster feeling that Bret/Shawn was a great 20 minute match dragged out over an hour, I felt like Edge/Alberto was a great 20 minute match rushed and squeezed into 10. It was still pretty good, but it could've been great, and it's more disappointing when you think of it as Edge's swansong.

- Quite a bit of Hitman stuff from WCW, much of it no doubt 'dream matches' for some fans, like vs Sting & Savage in 1998 for example. His DDP matches should have been better too.

Hogan Vs Sting - Starrcade 1997 - built up to be one of the biggest matches/moments in wrestling history, but from start to finish proved to be a complete letdown. Orton Vs Triple H - Wrestlemania 25 - it had a great build up, Orton punting everybody closing to Triple H in the head, winning the Royal Rumble, Triple H in the mean time winning the WWE Championship. I was expecting something great, a memorable moment and it turned out to be one of the worst Wrestlemania events in history.

• Paid Members

Quite surprised that HHH/Orton from WrestleMania 25 hasn't had a mention. That had an awesome, intense build up and it fell completely flat on the night. I don't even think it was because the crowd were spent after Taker/Michaels either, it's just the structure of the match was way more boring and methodical than what we were anticipating.

Archived