Disappointing Matches

tom

While reading his recent book, I have to agree with Chris Jericho and his match against Steve Austin at Vengeance 2001. Okay, both had wrestled before, but from what I remember the crowd was dead, the action didn't flow smoothly and the ending was the pits, determined for a Booker/Austin feud that never made it to the ring (although the shopping scene was hilarious).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lesnar vs goldberg comes to my mind.

I would go for this also. Granted the crowd gave them a hard time but the two of them let it get to them. Sooooo much stalling to react to the crowd. Also Austin shouldn't have been the Referee.

Thirded. I was looking forward to this match more than anything else on the WMXX card, and knew nothing about Lesnar leaving until watching the match. I was a big Lesnar fan, so hated the decision to have Goldberg kick out of the F5 and then beat him clean. It was clearly a classic bit of spite from Vince, but if you had to bet on either of them returning to the WWE within a year or so at the time, it would've been Lesnar, so I thought it would've made more sense to send him out strong than Goldberg.

• Paid Members
but if you had to bet on either of them returning to the WWE within a year or so at the time, it would've been Lesnar, so I thought it would've made more sense to send him out strong than Goldberg.

No chance. Goldberg was still in talks with them after WrestleMania. They assumed he'd be back eventually. Lesnar walked out on them after they gave him the biggest push ever. There was anger from everyone in WWE that he decided to leave. I think even Shane McMahon was at ringside encouraging "you sold out" chants. There was talk of Goldberg returning for SummerSlam that year, but he never did.

Michaels Vs Perfect, Summerslam '93.

Had all the makings of a classic IC Title match for the ages. Quality build-up, Michaels was on top of his game as a Heel, Perfect was a super-over face, Diesel as the looming henchman in the background.

Ended up being OK, but that's about all. They just didn't click anything like i thought they would have done.

I his book HBK says he was disappointed in that match he had wanted to face Perfect for years and it should of been a good match but it just didn't work.

He puts one of the reasons down to both he and Perfect were best at making their opponent look strong (taking lots of bumps ect) and they couldn't do that against each other.

Hogan vs Flair vs Sting vs DDP at Spring Stampede 99.

Four of the biggest names that WCW had to offer with the added goodness of a roided off his tits Randy Savage as referee and the match just sucked, so much so that Hogan just fucked off after about 5 minutes, a shame really as it was probably the best Pay Per View WCW produced up untill that main event.

Michaels Vs Perfect, Summerslam '93.

Had all the makings of a classic IC Title match for the ages. Quality build-up, Michaels was on top of his game as a Heel, Perfect was a super-over face, Diesel as the looming henchman in the background.

Ended up being OK, but that's about all. They just didn't click anything like i thought they would have done.

This was the match which immediately sprung to mind for me too. I was expecting it to be even better than the Summerslam 91 match with Bret Hart, especially since Perfect went in off the back of a classic rematch with Bret. It just never really got going, and had a rotten finish. Huge letdown.

I enjoyed Bret vs HBK at WM 12 seems like I'm in the minority though...

Failure to deliver off the top of my head most are recent matches..

- Bret Hart vs Vince McMahon (then again what else did we expect?)

- Michael Cole vs Jerry Lawler

- Jeff Hardy vs Sting

- Rio vs Edge

but if you had to bet on either of them returning to the WWE within a year or so at the time, it would've been Lesnar, so I thought it would've made more sense to send him out strong than Goldberg.

No chance. Goldberg was still in talks with them after WrestleMania. They assumed he'd be back eventually. Lesnar walked out on them after they gave him the biggest push ever. There was anger from everyone in WWE that he decided to leave. I think even Shane McMahon was at ringside encouraging "you sold out" chants. There was talk of Goldberg returning for SummerSlam that year, but he never did.

That surprises me. Considering neither of them seem to particularly like the pro wrestling business, at least Lesnar put the effort in and was pretty much at his peak when he left (the Guerrero match a month earlier was one of his best, and he was getting decent on the mic). Goldberg never looked like he could be arsed after Triple H pinned him at Summerslam, and he seemed to spend the remainder of his contract sulking that he wasn't treated like the unstoppable superhero he was in WCW.

The posts about Cole vs Lawler and Bret vs Vince, did you really expect them to deliver? We had Cole who isn't a wrestler against past his prime Jerry Lawler. Then a 64 year old Vince against Bret who has poor sense of balance after his stroke and can't take any bumps.

Not exactly the right recipe for matches which you expected to deliver. Which is what, this topic is about!

I do agree about the comments about Bret vs Shawn at WM12, boring drawn out match.

• Paid Members
Bret Hart v Shawn Michaels at Mania 12 is the one for me, having been a big fan of their match from Survivors 92, I expected this to be better. It wasn't. It was hampered by the 60 minute stip, as the time wore on, there was an increasing feeling that there would be little drama, as they seemed "too evenly matched" to catch a fall on each other. Had it been one fall booked to go nearly 30 minutes with the same top spots, it would have been great.

I also felt let down by Austin/Undertaker at SummerSlam 98. After world class build up, the match itself seemed a little "eh" other than Taker's legdrop through the table.

Agree with the SummerSlam match although the build up was fantastic. Didn't Austin and Taker crack heads during the match and Austin was knocked out for a few seconds. Sure I read somewhere (may of been his book) that Austin wasn't feeling at the top of his game going into that match and was pretty fuzzy after the collision. Also he said he thought the match could have been better.

• Paid Members
Bret Hart v Shawn Michaels at Mania 12 is the one for me, having been a big fan of their match from Survivors 92, I expected this to be better. It wasn't. It was hampered by the 60 minute stip, as the time wore on, there was an increasing feeling that there would be little drama, as they seemed "too evenly matched" to catch a fall on each other. Had it been one fall booked to go nearly 30 minutes with the same top spots, it would have been great.

I also felt let down by Austin/Undertaker at SummerSlam 98. After world class build up, the match itself seemed a little "eh" other than Taker's legdrop through the table.

Agree with the SummerSlam match although the build up was fantastic. Didn't Austin and Taker crack heads during the match and Austin was knocked out for a few seconds. Sure I read somewhere (may of been his book) that Austin wasn't feeling at the top of his game going into that match and was pretty fuzzy after the collision. Also he said he thought the match could have been better.

I remember hearing Russo being dead against the beer at the end. Which he says wrecked the whole thing.

• Paid Members

Edge vs Matt Hardy after Hardy came back from the Edge/Lita/Matt thing. I dont think anyone was expecting a classic but the angle where he came back had everyone talking. Match was just meh, ended in a stoppage (I think) and made Matt look like shit

I love all the Bret vs. Shawn matches, especially the Ironman match. It's full of great wrestling and if you ignore the lack of falls and overtime crap, you get some quality work. I could watch it all day. It was slightly disappointing in the sense that the Ironman gimmick hurt the investment of the crowd, but not because of the work, it was the booking. Survivor Series '92 is a great match. Montreal is underrated as a match too.

Perfect vs. Shawn at Summerslam '93 is a good answer. I've always thought that was very forgettable. Weird since Perfect was awesome in '93 and Shawn had some great matches with Marty and there is also a Rocker Shawn vs. heel Hennig from '91 that is AWESOME and smokes Summerslam.

Angle vs. Lesnar Ironman.

@chokeout: The Raw match that ended with the side effect off the stage? Man I thought that was a great street fight.

• Paid Members
@chokeout: The Raw match that ended with the side effect off the stage? Man I thought that was a great street fight.

I'm guessing he means their match at SummerSlam.

Archived